1. Sysy
    Sysy November 1, 2011 at 7:32 am | | Reply

Thanks for the info, I’m so IN. By the way the site looks fabulous!

2. Crystal
    Crystal November 1, 2011 at 7:44 am | | Reply

LOVE THIS! -) Site looking FANtabulous.

3. Crystal
    Crystal November 1, 2011 at 7:47 am | | Reply

The pins/symbol in IDF Shop site: not only in Euros, you can change the currency, it’s a drop down. (I just ordered 10 this morning, $16).

4. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog November 1, 2011 at 8:19 am | | Reply

As I pinned a blue circle on my 7yo T1′s shirt this morning she said that she was going to tell her class what it meant. But then on the way to school she said “But wait, I thought the symbol for diabetes was red.”

Perfect example of why we need a unified symbol!

(Red would make sense since it symbolized blood, but the color red is already taken.)

And l-o-v-e the new clean look. I like the wide sidebar on the right and all the pop down menus.

5. Hannah
    Hannah November 1, 2011 at 8:57 am | | Reply

For the record, if there were blue circle car magnets available, I might actually consider (*gasp*) putting a sincere awareness magnet on my car.

6. Annie
    Annie November 1, 2011 at 9:30 am | | Reply

I am planning on posting a blue circle or some other diabetic symbol onto my Facebook wall every day this month with the heading of NATIONAL DIABETES MONTH. My cousin did this for breast cancer and it was very effective!

7. Bob Fenton
    Bob Fenton November 1, 2011 at 10:55 am | | Reply

I guess I am wrong, but I thought JDRF had adopted the blue circle in 2010. Don’t understand why the AACE American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists is not included for support of the blue circle.

8. Rachel
    Rachel November 1, 2011 at 11:43 am | | Reply

It’s great to push for a unified symbol, but I would rather see these organizations use any donations and other income to advocate and towards research dollars than undergo a huge rebranding effort.

9. Sara
    Sara November 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

Perhaps I have an inaccurate view of history, but I don’t think that the breast cancer organizations ever promoted the pink ribbon separate from their activities. As they held their fundraising, advocacy, and outreach activities they incorporated the pink riboon and it became the symbol for them.

JDRF has specific efforts they focus on (fundraising, family support, research funding). ADA has a specific focus as well – I wouldn’t go anywhere else if I needed to fight a legal battle. The IDF is the organization responsible for promoting unity and health around the world (http://www.idf.org/whatwedo). Their symbols match their causes.

I would rather have the ADA keep the Hamburger Helper hand and keep fighting in the courts than have them put any money towards adopting another organization’s symbol.

Until people stop dying in other countries from the lack of insulin and other life-saving medications, this will not be near the top of my priority list.

10. colleen
    colleen November 1, 2011 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

Really like your new design! MUCH easier to navigate.
    I like the blue circle…

11. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins November 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm | | Reply

I very much support this. I don’t necessarily see this as a huge re-branding effort on behalf of any organization. Rather, I see it as embracing an infrastructure and weaving the Blue Circle into it’s already-existing campaigns, initiatives, efforts, and marketing. To me, it seems as though unifying the community behind one logo and color does the advocacy and awareness good. I don’t agree that doing this detracts from any greater mission these organizations such as the JDRF, ADA, DRI, AADE, or others already have. It just works to bring our community together as we advocate and talk to the general public who may have no clue about anything D-related and simply don’t understand the differences between the existing organizations. That’s insider baseball to them and it’s not relevant, so we need to make them see a basic united front in order to further the cause(s). My 3.14525 cents.

12. kathy
    kathy November 2, 2011 at 4:14 am | | Reply

I really like the idea of a symbol for Diabetes. I hope that like the pink ribbon for breast cancer, it also becomes associated with the push for its cure.

13. Merle Gleeson
    Merle Gleeson November 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm | | Reply

I just signed the petition…I like this idea because it gives a broad identity to diabetes, a global approach since this is not an “American” association. Thanks for sending this. I will pass on to others I know. Joyce Lofstrom

14. Merle Gleeson
    Merle Gleeson November 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm | | Reply

I like this idea…it is a global symbol and not one with an American focus…thanks for sending this info, Merle.

15. Mary Fairweather Dexter
    Mary Fairweather Dexter November 3, 2011 at 10:54 am | | Reply

We need a unifying symbol to connect all the different people with diabetes: children, seniors, skinny and round, Type 1s and Type 2s, LADA, etc. If we could get a fraction of the recognition enjoyed by the ubiquitous pink , it would go a long way toward erasing some of the myths that seem to comprise the world’s awareness of diabetes. They have several advantages: marketing makes it seem that by getting dressed and eating normally one can support breast cancer research. Plus, as Howard Hughes put it, “Everyone loves titty.”

16. Wendy
    Wendy August 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm | | Reply

Why the color blue? Someone on an earlier post said that the most common sense color would be red for blood but that was taken by another organization. Well blue is also taken for Autism. I guess for me the circle and it being blue makes no sense to me. I do not see a diabetes relation at all. Sorry.

1. AllisonB
      AllisonB August 24, 2012 at 9:17 pm | | Reply

Wendy: Both the circle and the color blue are meant to be symbols of unity – uniting all people with diabetes. The color blue is for the color of the sky that we all live under, and the circle is also for unity and also to distinguish diabetes for the plethora of other ribbons.

17. Pearlsa
    Pearlsa November 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

I am unable to sign this year’s petition as a Canadian is it by design

18. M. Vetterl
    M. Vetterl November 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm | | Reply

How can WE as Canadian’s also dealing with this disease, get hold of those awesome Diebetic Blue Bands. I love the look of them and what a subtle way to let people know you are diabetic instead of them rummaging your body for a Medical Alert bracelet or necklace. Love it… (Would be interrested in getting a few and do some Fund Raising for the cause)
    Thanks