1. Bennet
    Bennet November 17, 2011 at 6:52 am | | Reply

George.

This makes me think of the movie Stripes, Bill Murry. “Sergeant Hulka isn’t always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe… Sergeant Hulka.”

Here is a round of applause for the big results that came from seeing your toe. I for one doubt for a second that it was really the toe but in a horrendous mixing of metaphors I think it may have been the toe the broke the camel’s back.

All the best, Love Ya / Mean It.

2. Wendy
    Wendy November 17, 2011 at 7:31 am | | Reply

So proud of you, George! Keep up the great work :)

3. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill November 17, 2011 at 11:12 am | | Reply

I’m so proud of George, and so thankful he found “the thing”, because we need him. I hope his story inspires others to quit.

4. George
    George November 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm | | Reply

Thanks for letting me post my story here and thank you all for your encouraging words.

5. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson November 18, 2011 at 2:17 am | | Reply

George, this is a great post, and you are a great example of positive change.

Quitting smoking is probably one of the hardest things ever, and so many people struggle with it. But you did it! And just look at you man! You’re setting positive examples, every single day, around quitting smoking and empowering yourself to be active in your diabetes management.

I am so proud, and so glad. I don’t know if I could hang out with you if you smoked dude. You know I love ya, but smoking stinks! :-)

6. Michael
    Michael November 18, 2011 at 7:07 am | | Reply

If George’s story isn’t enought maybe this will help .

While spending the summer of my fourth year of architecture school in Rome my left eye completely blanked out. I had been a type one since two years old and had started smoking in high school. After two years of laser surgery in both eyes the retinopathy in my right eye was patched and stalled so that I still see out of one eye.
    Being a blind architect was my motivation. I quit smoking thirty years ago and now have a successful architectural office. I go back to the eye doctor every year and there have been no changes in my retinas since I stopped smoking. I’m certain I would be completely blind had I continued. If you, or someone you know, is a diabetic that smokes go to an ophthalmologist to see if there is damage. I had never had any vision problems prior to permanently losing all sight in that eye. I would also suggest quitting.
    This December I will have been a Type One 49 years.

7. Paula
    Paula November 29, 2011 at 7:21 am | | Reply

Keep up the good work George.. Stopping smoking is one of the best things you could had ever done for yourself! Great job!!