1. tmana
    tmana October 26, 2011 at 7:42 am | | Reply

On the one hand it is kinda weird not seeing some big DOC thing for the 14th. On the other hand, it IS a Monday, when many people will be at work, tired after work, and so on. And on the third hand, diabetes tends to get really short shrift in NYC… it’s still seen as a lifestyle-choice disease of the underprivileged and indigent, or a normal part of aging, rather than something which can take our best and brightest before they’ve had the chance to blossom.

Job dress requirements preclude my participation in Blue Fridays (at least while I’m on the clock), and this is the first year that I’m not only out of, but have not had the money to replace, WDD pins. I will, however, display my WDD wreath for the entire month of November.

2. Landileigh
    Landileigh October 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | | Reply

I tried RSVP’ing to the San Francisco event and it went to 404.

3. AllisonB
    AllisonB October 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

Landileigh: The link is fixed! Give it a try now! :)

4. Dean of Cookbook For Diabetics
    Dean of Cookbook For Diabetics October 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

I was aware of November 14 being World Diabetes Day but not about the “wear blue campaign.” Thanks for the info, I’ll help spread the word around.

5. Ruth
    Ruth October 28, 2011 at 4:26 am | | Reply

You call it World Diabetes Day, but this part of the world is definitely not part of it. As a foreigner in Eastern Peninsular Malaysia, I have had to fight tooth and nail just to access the medications I need. I gather they are doing a little something in Klang Valley in KL, but nothing here. Nobody knows nothing about it here.

6. Melinda
    Melinda October 31, 2011 at 6:02 am | | Reply

I get the World Diabetes Day thing, I do. The gallery of landmarks is powerful. I love seeing everyone come together behind a cause. However, I am all for JDRF pushing T1 into its own separate category and I’m very pleased to hear about T1 day. T1 is not T2, and any efforts to keep the two grouped into the same bundle really irritate me. My 8-year old certainly doesn’t need to do a glucose check and exercise for 14 minutes to see the effects. This isn’t a lifestyle thing for her. This is something that needs its own cure. Two different beasts.

7. Holly
    Holly November 1, 2011 at 6:54 pm | | Reply

Thank you,. Melinda. I’m always so frustrated by the way T1 and T2 are grouped together. I’ve had T1 since I was a child, but I’m 38 now and, because there has been so much attention given to preventing diabetes by losing weight (which refers only to T2, of course) people think that I have T2 and somehow brought it on myself. With all the awareness brought to so many people having T2 and just calling it “diabetes,” it feels like T1 has been forgotten. We need to make people aware that T1 is different, it cannot be prevented, it is devastating, it’s management is much more complicated than “diet and exercise,” and we need a cure. T1 Day is a good start, but we need people to think about it more often than that.