1. Allison
    Allison October 21, 2011 at 7:53 am | | Reply

I don’t see how a Gardenburger is a better choice. Sure, it’s got veggies in it, but it also has RICE – and 18g of carbs. I know for a fact when I eat rice it spikes my blood sugar SO high. Eating meat (especially the good grass-fed stuff) has zero carbs and much less impact on blood sugar. That’s a much smaller bolus!

It also has way too many ingredients for a burger, not all of which I have heard of. I understand you aren’t doing ovo-lacto-vegetarianism for other reasons buuuuut I’d rather eat 100% pure meat than some frankenfood product.

2. Allison
    Allison October 21, 2011 at 7:57 am | | Reply

I forgot to post my thoughts on vegetarianism explicitly (I guess it’s already sort of stated) but here it is – I believe animals were created for us to eat, especially in their purest form. I believe fish is the healthiest “meat” option but anything grass-fed/free-range/blah blah is excellent too. (I don’t have enough money to eat that stuff all the time but I will one day when I’m done with grad school!) I believe there are nutrients in meat you cannot get from any other source, and I believe that living the paleo or primal lifestyle is the way to go – the rule of small numbers fits in with this plan so well!

3. Sysy
    Sysy October 21, 2011 at 8:20 am | | Reply

I think I could be a vegetarian in terms of animal protein requirements. I believe everyone has different dietary needs. I feel pretty healthy eating animal protein in very small doses. Lately, by experimenting, I have found I do surprisingly well (energy wise) only eating eggs (and maybe a little chicken once a week. It’s not easy trying to find the right mix of foods for ourselves but experimenting is the way to do it. And to honestly listen to our bodies. If you feel healthy with some added meat (preferably organic) then great, I’d stick with that, only I’d make sure I wasn’t overdoing the portions. I also think experimenting with vegetarianism is probably a decent way to get into the habit of adding vegetables into one’s diet. Problem is most vegetarians I know (where I live) eat nothing but white flour all day. Definitely, not recommended. I think the paleo diet is great if someone feels healthy while on it and their blood tests look good. And I would recommend only eating organic veggie burgers because the soy in the non organic ones often contain hexane, something I wouldn’t recommend ingesting. Anyway, my point is it really depends on each individual whether vegetarianism is the right choice or not. So good luck to everyone trying to figure that out, it’s not easy :)

4. Ariana
    Ariana October 21, 2011 at 8:33 am | | Reply

Sigh… I’m a T1 and I was vegan for five years, vegetarian for a few more, and just about completely ruined my health. I was one of those “super healthy” types, and made almost everything from scratch, only ate whole grains, etc. But the soy products gave me hypothyroidism, I ended up eating too many carbohydrates, the plant oils were inflammatory, and I gained a lot of weight over those years, finally ending in adrenal exhaustion. My health improved when I added animal products back into my diet, and I am the healthiest and leanest I’ve been in a LONG time after adopting more of a paleo diet. Just had to tell you my experience, it would have felt wrong not to!

1. Dolores
      Dolores August 11, 2013 at 9:55 am | | Reply

I had a similar experience. I was vegetarian for 4 years and vegan for 2, I got very ill and ended up with a vitamin deficiency for B-12 and Iron. One of the issues I had, was eating enough vegetable matter to equal the amount of calories and nutrients in meat. You have to eat a very large amount, and I get full easily. I also had a lot of trouble with hypoglycemia even just a few hours after eating a large vegetarian meal.

I went back to eating meat at my doctor and nutritionist’s insistence and my health and blood sugar control improved drastically. I don’t eat a lot of meat, just about 4-6 oz a day. I would never recommend a diabetic go full vegetarian. Eat more vegetables and reduce the amount of meat you eat? Sure! Cutting meat entirely makes nutrition and blood sugar control way too difficult.

5. Eileen
    Eileen October 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

I’ve been a vegetarian for the last 16 years and am doing great. Most carbs I eat are whole grains. Eat lots of cheese and nuts, plenty of veggies in salads, stir-frys and just sliced up. I’ve been type 1 for 49 years. The only problem with a diabetic/vegetarian diet is when eating out- especially when you don’t like pasta!

6. Natalie
    Natalie October 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

I think the ovo-lacto view might be a good one, because it does provide animal protein and fats, which may well have nutrients in them that have not been as well studied as the phytochemicals, which are all the rage nowadays. I’m not so keen on pescetarian, because the sea is being fished out, and farmed fish are not as healthy or toxin free as wild fish. But if we exterminate the wild fish, what will our children eat?

The other thing about veganism, in particular, is what if you don’t really like vegetables? And also don’t like frankenfood substitutes? Vegans simply CANNOT get all essential nutrients without supplementing, and that defeats the whole purpose, doesn’t it?

I really do ascribe to the principle of eating REAL food, so I eat as many non-starchy vegetables as I can stand, but don’t eat grains or fruits, because I get MUCH better BG control that way. Way fewer highs, way fewer lows, and not using very much insulin. And I don’t think there are any essential nutrients that you can’t find in vegetables, along with dairy and eggs. Fruit and grains simply aren’t necessary. I do occasionally eat meat or fish or chicken, but not often — I don’t think eating meat, even red meat, once or twice a week is at all bad for me, and my latest lipid panel bears me out. Since diabetics mostly die of heart disease, it makes sense to protect your heart!

7. mollyjade
    mollyjade November 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm | | Reply

I’ve had type 1 for 25 years and I’ve been vegan for about 5. My a1c’s have actually gone down since I went vegan, though I made other lifestyle changes at the same time. I’m the only one in my family without high blood pressure or cholesterol, even though I’m also the only one with diabetes. So it works pretty well for me. Of course, YDMV.

8. Fruit and vegetables for diabetics, diabetic patients | infohub.uhostfull.com

[...] its benefits. diabetes . Find out how to help diabetes supplements low blood sugar of course. Fruits and vegetables for diabetes, diabetic patients Article by Elvira Filinovich People with diabe… difficult to control blood sugar, because there is almost nothing to eat totally free of [...]