1. MS
    MS October 3, 2011 at 6:41 am | | Reply

FDA clears plenty of wireless devices. Of all things, I’m not sure why this gentleman feels that the wireless component would hold up the process.

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell October 3, 2011 at 7:01 am | | Reply

If it ends up cost $4K and it’s considered a piece of durable medical equipment then it’s going to cause us to consume all of our DME allowance. Which might be OK if it truly works as planned. Any idea why the battery life is so bad? Does it require a lot of current to run the raman spectrometer?

1. Mike Johnson
      Mike Johnson October 18, 2012 at 10:51 pm | | Reply

The solid state laser for the spectrometer may be what eats up the power.

3. David
    David October 3, 2011 at 9:22 am | | Reply

The biggest plus I’m seeing is you get the accuracy of current CGM systems without the inconsistency of the initial 24 hours after sensor insertion and the fall-off in accuracy as the sensor gradually croaks. The belt covers where I inject or would put pump, so it would be great if wearing on the thigh works.

4. Lauren
    Lauren October 3, 2011 at 9:55 am | | Reply

This. Is. Amazing. Such a great alternative to current devices! I can’t wait for it to be approved!

5. mcityrk
    mcityrk October 3, 2011 at 11:40 am | | Reply

No offense, but this sounds like the same type of claims made for near IR spectroscopic devices 15 years ago there turned out to be all sizzle and no steak. Why would a Raman signal be so much more glucose specific than the spectral regions used in these previous devices? It seems like they would run into the same questions about baseline fluctuations, temperature effects, surface contact artifacts, etc. And to claim that a factory calibration would hold forever?? Color me skeptical—

6. Julia
    Julia October 3, 2011 at 7:26 pm | | Reply

I wish this company had remained in “stealth mode.” I fear it will go the way of the OrSense noninvasive monitor that reputedly worked and was immediately bought up by big pharm, never to be marketed. But fingers crossed. Our teen does not want to wear two sites, though she agrees Dexcom doesn’t hurt. She may not want to wear a fanny pack either, but she would wear this at home. I would be thrilled to have one of these devices. Not holding my breath, though. Every advance I have had my eye on the past five years has fallen by the wayside. Mass demonstrations against the FDA policies are in order. I’m tired of their ridiculous guidelines … they are holding the lives of our children hostage while they keep devices like this and the Veo pump off the market.

7. Natalie
    Natalie October 4, 2011 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

Once upon a time there was a glucose meter that relied on a film that you could wash off and use again. No repeated cost for strips or anything. What happened to it? The market was quickly saturated, and they could no longer make a profit, so they went belly-up. Does that seem a likely scenario for this product?

8. Andrew
    Andrew October 7, 2011 at 3:05 am | | Reply

Like you say, Amy, great vision. This is a good place to start. I’m looking forward to such a device in a small, convenient package. One day…

9. Dan Fahey
    Dan Fahey October 7, 2011 at 8:26 am | | Reply

One concern I’d have is the matter of how sweating affects results. i seem to remember that was a problem with the Glucowatch?

10. Richa
    Richa December 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm | | Reply

Hope it is as useful as expected

11. Seth
    Seth December 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm | | Reply

This device looks like it may be the real deal.

I just found story that GE invested in them this month.

12. Dick
    Dick January 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm | | Reply

It’s now January 14, 2012. Have you heard anything lately? I have good insurance and probably will have unless our states’ Atty Generals lose their case against Nanny-care, so I can afford the 20% deductible, which is still steep.

What I don’t understand is why no-one has developed a wrist band which reads the chemicals exuded from the epidermis – the one’s the female mosquitoes smell and know that YOU are the one with more sugar in your blood. Surely, these chemicals vary as the glucose increases and decreases.

Wouldn’t some University researcher or pharma company scientist who wants to make a billion or so dollars per year could come up with the proper criteria – or is there another “friend” of the FDA standing in the way of the research?

I hate to sound so negative, but we seem to have reached a point where business has to lie to government and us in order to protect themselves from a government which lies to them.. and us.

13. Pat Escaron
    Pat Escaron May 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm | | Reply

This does look promising. Certainly the Raman Spectroscopy should afford one the ability to detect glucose in a mixed medium. I agree that the real world influence of sweat, temp, etc will most likely pose a substantial technical hurdle. Power consumption most likely high due to light source and detection optics. As a T1D and father of a 14month old T1D I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

14. Debbie
    Debbie May 26, 2012 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

I can’t wait for this to come out. I have a cgm and it always makes me bruise and hurts more then all my shots I do. If this really does what it says it’s well worth the $$ and I love the emergency end of things. I’d they need anyone to test it out I would love to help :)

15. John
    John May 30, 2012 at 9:54 am | | Reply

I wouldn’t hold your breadth. The pitfalls, especially how its worn, will kill it in market. Why did the insulin inhaler fail? People found it, most of all, too cumbersome.

The FDA has to protect people from themselves and make sure there is a market to support the government, that’s why a cure won’t happen unless its a pill that is about as toxic as Tylenol. Why do you think the Edmonton Protocol and all this other stuff won’t ever be approved. Supply is the scapegoat.

This device sounds great but its so far off from any marketability and at $4k and where healthcare is going in this country, good luck!

16. Polyphemos
    Polyphemos May 30, 2012 at 11:14 am | | Reply

Amen, Brother! Let me only add the question, whatever happened to the glucose sampler that was supposed to use visual through the earlobe – no prick????

17. Sadiq Hasan
    Sadiq Hasan June 20, 2012 at 11:29 am | | Reply

My son 12 yrs old just got diagnosed with Type-1, looking for non-invasive (no blood sample ) device to monitor the blood sugar level. Any suggestion

18. Dennis
    Dennis September 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm | | Reply

This looks good. My father is a test system engineer and I think I’m going to run this by him. Keep in mind that old IR Sensors are that…old. electronics have come a long way and newer sensors are much more accurate. The fact that it focuses on the molecule itself is the key….oh, btw why not wear it on your arm like an ipod. I hope this gets through fda and doesn’t get bought up by a test strip making pharmacy company. After all, we are a source of revenue first …then concern for our well being follows.

19. Susan f
    Susan f September 29, 2012 at 9:26 am | | Reply

Size and accuracy are two huge issues for me. I’m very lean, with an athletic body… That device is waaaaay too large to remain hidden under clothes.

20. rishi gupta
    rishi gupta October 2, 2012 at 7:58 am | | Reply

i am a type 1 diabetic for about 24 years in india,, i would really like to use this device as this would be probably the best thing to happen to type 1 diabetics if this really works.. whenever your company wants to launch this product , in my opinion india would be a great market for it as a lot of users would use it,,. by the way when is this product supposed to be launched ,, any idea???

21. Non-Invasive Diabetes Technology: Still Dreaming : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] CE Mark approval on Oct. 25 to market this non-invasive CGM device in Europe — a good year after we wrote about this company back in 2011 and they forecasted the [...]

22. Warren
    Warren April 11, 2013 at 10:41 am | | Reply

My wife, a 52 year type one survivor, is really interested in this sensor. Is there any recent news? We live in Ecuador, but can travel to Europe or the US for it.

23. Dr Ray
    Dr Ray May 9, 2013 at 10:21 am | | Reply

It is the natural tendency of science to find out new things….we have to wait with patience and see if the cost, advantage and weaknesses are balancing to be an usable product…..I thing the company should make all efforts to make it accurate and cheaper so that people can afford the cost. Global diabetic researchers…one question …why DM is proliferating in India than any other country?

24. Tony
    Tony July 18, 2013 at 12:11 am | | Reply

My 10 year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1, hes very sporty (swimming/soccer) and are looking for ANY continuous blood sensor that I can monitor at some distance (ideally 50M). Can I please get some advice on the latest/best most suitable device?…we are in the UK. Thanks