1. maggie
    maggie October 15, 2011 at 7:04 am | | Reply

Huh. I never knew you’re not supposed to use alcohol swabs. Guess I’ll take those off my shopping list. Thanks!

2. Allison
    Allison October 15, 2011 at 7:39 am | | Reply

I stopped using alcohol pads really soon after I was diagnosed 16 years ago, but I did hear a horror story about someone who always tested on her pinky and then sucked it clean after – she had to have the finger amputated. I’m guessing there was more to it but it’s kept me from ever doing that! I’ll keep using my bloody tissue! haha

3. Penny
    Penny October 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

Thanks Wil – good info. And Gary from OK, welcome to the DOC! We are glad you are here, what with the ‘club you never wanted to join’ mentality – we are glad you are here anyway!
    As for the alcohol pads – my gal is 9, diagnosed 3 years ago and we maintained strict vigilance with alocohol pads for about 3 months – until her fingers were SO dried out from all that alcohol. And plus, she would complain the pricker hurt sometimes on her fingers. We haven’t looked back since. We only use soap and water if we think something is on her hands, otherwise, game on.

4. Natalie
    Natalie October 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm | | Reply

Wil, you bring back memories of the old hanging drop of blood meters, and the timing, then wiping the strip, then timing the strip in the meter for a total of 2 minutes for your reading!!!!

Yes, I was taught to wipe with alcohol, but soon discontinued it. I do use alcohol for my pump and CGM sites, not for sanitation, but because alcohol dissolves the body oils and makes the sites stick better.

I also use a tissue to clean my finger after a test — I HAVE seen people licking their fingers after a test, but it seems too risky to me. I have a folded tissue right there in my meter case, and it has lots of spots of dried blood on it — but no one but me needs to look at it!

And YOU KNOW what to do when your BG is in the 200′s!!!!! :-)

5. Seth Bernstein
    Seth Bernstein October 18, 2011 at 9:58 am | | Reply

To Gary from OK-
    Gary, I suggest that you do a fingerstick test before going to sleep and before driving a car. Although low blood sugar is not very nice, you certainly want to avoid it while asleep or driving.

6. Chris k
    Chris k October 19, 2011 at 8:04 pm | | Reply

This makes me think of a related question I’ve always wondered:

How much can moisture on your hands throw off the BG reading? Should I make sure my hands are completely dry after washing them or swimming? Can excessive sweat throw off the numbers too?