1. Sysy
    Sysy September 15, 2011 at 7:46 am | | Reply

This is beautiful, Allison. Thank you. (my captcha code is “unseen” lol)

2. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell September 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

Really wonderful post Allison. You’re right about meeting up with others, it’s really empowering and freeing to be with other diabetics especially around meals and continue conversing and living while doing all you need to prepare for food. One of the few times you can really feel that everything you’re doing is ‘normal’.

As well as the Diabetes Made Visible group, there’s also the Diabetes 365 Project on Flickr with over 12,000 pictures. Mini stories about living every day with diabetes. I can’t recommend it enough. I know some members of that group have told me that being part of it really helps them in many ways.

I guess that’s the magic of the DOC. You no longer feel alone or misjudged, we’re all just doing our best to live our lives with diabetes. And folks in the DOC can help us round things that may get in our way.

3. shannon
    shannon September 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm | | Reply

really lovely and inspiring, thanks for sharing.

4. colleen
    colleen September 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm | | Reply

You and Bernard were my first! Sitting in the park while everyone tested, shot, pushed buttons… Everyone being so willing to “show me their pump!” It was awesome and gave me the courage I needed to just go out and live with the d.
    It was pretty cool…

5. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins September 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm | | Reply

Thanks for this, Allison. It’s interesting, feeling for so long that my diabetes was invisible despite it being so much a part of my life. And then meeting so many others and feeling that sense of community and empowerment, and then being so open about it… My D doesn’t really feel invisible anymore, but sometimes that’s a necessity. Think it comes down to it being invisible or visible on our own terms as we dictate, not the other way. Great post here.

6. anickaworld
    anickaworld September 16, 2011 at 7:42 am | | Reply

I like your blog, it’s inspiring and i enjoyed reading it. You are strong woman I see, :-) I agree, that there is nothing to be afraid of.. :-)

Good health,
    Anicka

7. riva
    riva September 16, 2011 at 10:52 am | | Reply

A beautiful, honest, open-hearted post. No doubt being amongst other people with diabetes is a freeing and supportive experience, you feel validated and not alone. As for “starting overs” they are available to us as you said every day, every hour, every moment. And shifting our vision to what we want and away from what we’re afraid of or trying to avoid is empowering.