1. Jen
    Jen September 9, 2011 at 6:15 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for the opportunity to share!!! Can’t wait to hear about other people’s journey with “the big B”.

2. mollyjade
    mollyjade September 9, 2011 at 7:43 am | | Reply

I’m tearing up at what your doctor said. Go you!

3. Keane
    Keane September 9, 2011 at 8:08 am | | Reply

Great post! If you’re interested in raw food, I’d highly recommend checking out http://www.rawmazing.com/. It’s full of really great “gourmet” style raw food recipes and the photography is crazy good!

Again, enjoyed the post!

4. Colleen
    Colleen September 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm | | Reply

Loved this post! Thanks so much for sharing, Jen. It sounds like you have a great dr at UChicago – I do too! I feel very blessed with the team I have there and all the support they give me.

5. Lauren
    Lauren September 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

great words of advice. Thank you!!

6. Natalie
    Natalie September 9, 2011 at 8:20 pm | | Reply

I will admit that I don’t deal with diabetes burnout well at all. For me, it usually goes along with depression, and the one feeds off the other. I react to depression by bingeing on carbs, and so far the best I have been able to do is promise myself that I will take ENOUGH insulin to compensate for the carbs, even if I do gain weight. That’s better than NOT taking enough insulin and the resulting high BGs that go ever higher as time goes on. I also have friends that I can call if I can’t bring myself to take insulin. All they have to do is tell me to do it — one is a CDE, and last time I told her I had binged and didn’t even know how much to take, and she told me to take 10 units. She knows me and my needs, and she was right. I wish I could be the perfect diabetic, but I’m not, and I know I’m not doing all I COULD do, but I guess even baby steps are better than no steps.

7. Merle Gleeson
    Merle Gleeson September 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm | | Reply

Hi Jen, as a Chicago-girl I love to hear comments like this news from the Kovler Center. Can you share with us who your doctor is? Another inspirational aspect that can’t be denied is SUPPORT. Anyone in Chicagoland should check out http://www.type1diabeteslounge.com. It’s an education & support group who will host an event with the partnership of U of C. Join us!

8. Kris
    Kris September 15, 2011 at 12:27 am | | Reply

Hi guys! You are doing a great job. Bravo!
    Have a great fun and daily updates about Diabetes and its remedies. Please pay visit and like us on
    We want to enjoy a healthy and Diabetes Free life. We love your support.

9. Jen
    Jen September 15, 2011 at 6:32 am | | Reply

@Molly: I cried tears of joy :)

@Keane: Thanks for such a great recomendation! Very cool blog!

@Colleen: So glad you like it there too. Dr. Philipson & Amy are GREAT!!!

@Lauren: Thanks for reading!

@Natalie: So glad you have a great CDE. It really IS about baby steps. NONE of us are perfect Diabetics. Throughout the years I’ve tried to just learn from each day and to be gracious with myself…and like you said, just doing what I can do. Diabetes is hard! Thanks for reading, I wish you all the best!

@Merle: I’ve been meaning to check out your support group. I’ve heard many great things! Thanks for coordinating it all! My dr is Dr. Lou Philipson. He is amazing and at the forefront of a lot of research. Amy Hess-Fischl is my CDE. I really have a great team and only good things to say about my experience over at Kovler.

@Kris: Thanks for the info!

10. Darlene Lyons
    Darlene Lyons December 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm | | Reply

Sometimes I get “tired” of counting carbs, measuring, etc., when you do that every time you eat it can become overwhelming sometimes. I also get tired of reading diabetic stuff all the time, searching out things on the internet, checking out receipts, and then when Thanksgiving and Christmas comes there is a whole new set of decisions that you have to make. But then I go to my doctor and get an A1C of 5.9–and he says I am doing everything right and not to be too “hard of myself” it makes me feel like all the “hard work” pays off. Yes I have my “days” when things aren’t going well, but I know that the next day will be better.