1. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie September 17, 2011 at 9:02 am | | Reply

At the risk of going all Michelle Bachmann on y’all, I would like to see the facts behind getting the flu shot for an otherwise healthy diabetic.

I hear the recommendations every year, but the only “facts” I see are the CDC and the ADA “recommend” it for diabetics.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

2. Joe Barnickel
    Joe Barnickel September 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

Concerning shingles. I have two attacks of them. Once in my 20′s and just recently last year.
    This last attack was a bitch and yep, I do still have some pain every so often in the area where the shingles were at.

Not fun at all.

3. Casabby
    Casabby September 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm | | Reply

I get the flu shot every year, but not because I have diabetes. I have had Type 1 for 35 years and don’t feel that I get sicker from common ailments (colds, strep throat, etc) than your average Joe. IMO the flu shot is a relatively painless way to avoid the flu. I can’t think of any reason not to get it. On the other hand, I’m not a conspiracy-driven person who is convinced that a flu shot is big government trying to infiltrate my life.

I do think that a lot of the history of recommendations for “diabetics” is based on the past that most people with diabetes weren’t in the best of health and were for the most part an elderly population. There are many people with diabetes who still fit those descriptions, but there are many “healthy” people living with diabetes. I wear sandals and do lots of other traditional no-no things for diabetics. But I do get a flu shot every year. Not because of diabetes, but for me I think it’s the smart thing to do.

4. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston September 18, 2011 at 8:42 am | | Reply

I do too, but for me it’s because I’m diabetic (and also, it works). Oh, and I wear sandals too (smile)!

(My 30th T1 Diaversary was this summer, so we’re in the same zone, Casabby – and I consider myself healthy too.)

5. Ressy
    Ressy September 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

I have to protect myself the old fashioned way. I can’t get the flu shot as my reactions to any meds scare the doctors in such a manner that they hide the prescription pads as soon as I walk in the office.

I avoid large crowds, wash my hands, wash the carts at any store, do alot of internet shopping, turn away people who are ill at the door, take my vitamins, stay away from the Family Practice docs, only see my Endo during the flu season.

I thank God every year as I have escaped the flu for over 15 years now!

Now sinus infections…that is another matter all together….grrrr..

Ressy

6. Mary C
    Mary C September 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm | | Reply

Had to laugh at your “wearing polyester” comment, Wil. 30+ years ago I worked in a medical research lab where rather large IBM computers on kitchen table size carts were wheeled into each lab room by identcally dressed technicians in green scrubbs. There, they would record every minute symptom on hundreds of rats or mice every day. I was responsible for maintaining the computers. These primitive devices were always breaking down and without fail every labworker would complain “Why does this always happen to me?” I would look them in the eye and seriously ask “What kind of underwear do you wear, cotton or polyester?” Regardless of which answer they gave, I would just nod knowingly and say “Ahh, static.” It was total bull but it made them feel better that God wasn’t punishing them personally.

7. Dennis
    Dennis September 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

Why Get the Flu shot?
    1- If you have T1, then you probabl have lost at least -25% of your Auto immunity to fight Diseases, Colds and just about everything else, but you haven’t noticed it yet..
    2- Go hang around some kids , get the Flu and let me know how that works for you.. That’s how I got the Flu and I get the Shot every Sept. ever since.. and avoid sick people like the Plague..

3. Oh for 15 of my 20 yrs as a Adult T1, I was Self Insured and Paid for alot Out of Pocket.. while only making the ave of about $30k yr..
    I remember when it was only $5 at a Clinic and then went upto $10 and now I think it’s like $20-$25, but I get mine thru the VA now and only cost me $9 ( my Deductable)

8. Sysy
    Sysy September 19, 2011 at 7:22 am | | Reply

Cooking at home versus eating out helps A TON in regards to avoiding illnesses in the Winter because people still go to work sick even in restaurant businesses. Make sure to eat healthy and get adequate vitamin D and you will be much less likely to catch something in the first place. Keeping blood sugars as close to range as possible helps, too. Oh and wash your hands often. Just add these things to whatever else your plan involves and you will definitely fare better this year. :)

9. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter September 19, 2011 at 9:01 am | | Reply

I get my flu shot because, when I do get sick, it’s like my immune system says, “While we’re killing this virus, why don’t we bump off a few more beta cells while we’re at it.” My insulin dosage creeps up a little more and never comes back.

I did get the pneumonia shot finally. I dutifully went in my first year for the flu & pneumonia only to have them refuse to do it. After trying to explain, asking them call my PP, who refused to authorize it, and feeling humiliated because they made me feel like I was trying to pull some scam, I left without it. The next year, after my PP got pneumonia, she okayed the vaccine for me, even though I wasn’t 65 and it would be 15 years before I would be. What your PP refuses to know CAN hurt you, a lot. Thus began an escalating series of horrific errors. Rebuilding trust in my health care team has been a slow process.

10. Lili
    Lili September 19, 2011 at 10:43 am | | Reply

Interesting – I always thought the reason to get a flu shot if you’re diabetic is because having the flu really sucks when you have diabetes.

11. Melitta
    Melitta September 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

In March 2011, the FDA approved the shingles vaccine for those age 50 and older. So 50-somethings can now get the vaccine. I know SO MANY people who have gotten shingles in their 40s and 50s, and it is dangerous and excrutiating.

12. sl
    sl September 23, 2011 at 4:45 am | | Reply

Since I started to up my vitamin D I have not had a flu shot and never have problem. I am a teacher of young children in public schools. I believe vitamin d is the answer. Make sure it is vit d3.