1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 23, 2011 at 6:31 am | | Reply

Allison, this is an excellent reminder and one that I needed, thanks. I will get a prescription for a long-acting insulin this week. Thanks for Gary’s suggestions, those are invaluable.

2. Scott S
    Scott S August 23, 2011 at 10:38 am | | Reply

To just add to Gary’s suggestion: glargine is pretty long-acting insulin. If you have different needs overnight vs. during the daytime, then Levemir might be a better choice — in my experience, Levemir has a pretty flat action curve and lasts about 10-12 hours.

3. Lauren
    Lauren August 23, 2011 at 11:08 am | | Reply

My pump would always break at the WORST times. Never on a weekday during business hours grrrr thank you for the reminder!

4. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie August 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

FWIW, one of the primary reasons I chose the AccuChek Spirit was because they gave me the option to ALWAYS have a back-up pump on hand that will last for up to 6 months.

It was really great while I was doing extended travel outside of areas conveniently served by Fedex. When my pump failed, “all” I had to do was activate the back-up, make sure my basals were programmed correctly and move the cartridge from the broken pump. “Now back to our regularly scheduled program…”

5. Jasmine
    Jasmine August 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

How appropriate! I got my second motor error today (Medtronic) in 6 weeks. Of course this happens a week before I’m moving out of the country! Fortunately they set me up with a new pump and even took my data for some studies they’re doing on motor errors.

6. Natalie
    Natalie August 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm | | Reply

When my previous pump ran out of warranty, I got a new one, and kept the old one as a back-up. Even though I’m not exactly sure it would work, LOL!!

7. JBS
    JBS August 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm | | Reply

Glad I have at least two (one a relic) for backup and some Lantus in the fridge. Not glad that my HMO barely covers pumps and though my doctor prefers I be under warranty, right now it isnt possible.

8. Sophie
    Sophie March 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

What the heck do I do!!!???!!!

9. Mary
    Mary June 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm | | Reply

Has anyone experienced a faulty pump that pumped out way too much insulin without entering a higher basil or bolus number?

10. Miranda
    Miranda September 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm | | Reply

This is very good advise .I never knew you should have a back-up pump. I use Lantus s and Humalog for long acting. I am an Animas pump user.

11. Sherry Beasley
    Sherry Beasley July 1, 2014 at 10:28 pm | | Reply

My ex husband was killed out at the mine. We don’t know all the specifics yet but his wife said he had an insulin pump and when she looked at his last reading when the mine gave her his belongings it was at 18 is it possible the insulin pump malfunctioned? My children need answers can you let us know thank you

1. MikeH
      MikeH July 2, 2014 at 5:56 am | | Reply

So sorry to hear about your ex-husband, Sherry! We’re by no means experts and aren’t in the position to offer any answers for your family, but it’s likely best to communicate with both the insulin pump manufacturer as well as the U.S. FDA about any concerns there may be. They take these types of situations, which would be considered “adverse events,” very seriously. Good luck, and wishes to your family.