1. Joe Barnickel
    Joe Barnickel August 9, 2011 at 6:40 am | | Reply

I commented when this story first came out.
    In a sarcastic tone of voice, I said “thank you for showing hackers how to do this”.

It is fear-mongering, not that we need more of that

2. Rob Muller
    Rob Muller August 9, 2011 at 6:50 am | | Reply

Great story, Amy. Really appreciate your level-headed take.
    I too have never understood people warning against certain acts by providing a step-by-step instruction on how to do said acts.

Rob

3. Uzma
    Uzma August 9, 2011 at 7:01 am | | Reply

most of this is just stupid. the media loves something to chew. tell them to spit it out.

my only concern is like the one mentioned above: now that this idea is so popular, some idiot is going to try to do this. and motive? what if you’re living with diabetes in 11th grade and some hacker geek hates you? what about athletes and musicians who deal with this. . . what if someone decides to play it unfair. even if you can’t hack the pump, someone will come up with a sinister idea, just to “copycat” all the junk that’s been put out there. I wish the media were a little more responsible.

4. Sandi
    Sandi August 9, 2011 at 8:43 am | | Reply

just a big eye roll from me on this one

5. Sysy
    Sysy August 9, 2011 at 9:02 am | | Reply

I’m with Sandi on the big eye roll….lol

6. Ginger Vieira
    Ginger Vieira August 9, 2011 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the thorough sweep on this issue! There was so much discussion around it in so many arenas that it was hard to know what was really going on!

-Ginger

7. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins August 9, 2011 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

Totally agreed – an issue blown out of proportion by the presenter himself. Not even by the media sensationalizing something, but someone using the media for a “publicity stunt” about an issue that appears to already be adequately addressed already by those who need to be thinking of this stuff. Hopefully the unnecessary coverage on all this doesn’t hinder the regulatory process. Now, I’m going back to my real concerns about insulin pumping.

8. Meg
    Meg August 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

“If someone manipulated your pump to deliver a bolus of insulin that you did not want to receive, your pump would play back a series of tones to confirm the size of the bolus. So, you would be able to detect tones on the insulin pump that weren’t intentionally programmed and could intervene accordingly.”

Now that’s a ridiculous response by Medtronic! On so many levels…

9. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 9, 2011 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

Thanks Amy, I hope this post gets as much traction as the fear-mongering Murder by Insulin, etc., newspaper ‘articles’.

10. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera August 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

Not worried about it. Radcliffe DID manage to get the signals, but could not decode them. He thought he was doing it to further knowledge of electronic security, but the media blew it way out of proportion. I don’t really blame him; I blame the insensitive media, who don’t know when to keep their mouths shut.

11. Kerri.
    Kerri. August 11, 2011 at 6:07 am | | Reply

I spoke with Jay Radcliffe over the weekend and after our discussion, I wasn’t nervous about wearing my insulin pump. Besides, like he said, he told a roomful of hackers how to hack his pump, yet he still kept wearing it. If the hacker isn’t scared, neither am I. :)

Here’s a link to the blog post: http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2011/08/hacked_jay_radcliffe_insulin_p.html

12. David Parker
    David Parker August 11, 2011 at 9:52 am | | Reply

OK, so this was a self serving publicity stunt that got caught up in some reporters search for interesting press. However, I believe that overall security is a (future) big, big issue that needs to be addressed. I’m thinking of how all of the new, mobile devices that you’re introducing to us in your article today are going to be connected to the medical networks that docs and hospitals are also connected to. Networks are the nirvana of hackers. Specially when they lead to billing subsystems (read dollars). Money motivations might be just around the corner and overshadow the “eye rolling” and general pooh-poohing of this topic noted by others comments.

13. Bennet
    Bennet August 12, 2011 at 6:14 am | | Reply

Thanks for joining in the conversation. I think it has been important for the DOC to be in this conversation as a counter point to the tone of the media. Kelly is so right to point out that insulin is not trivial and regular use has risks. Day to day those using insulin face significant rise from well managed insulin use, inventing new things to be scared of is non sense. Yes the wireless communication should due secure but far more important is stopping delivery of insulin into someone who is already low.

That is available over seas. We as ca community need to encourage more proactive guideline writing by the FDA so that similar advances get to market here in a more timely fashion. See:

Thanks again for joining in the effort to balance the hype.

Bennet

(Oh and for the recored I use 1 t in Bennet)

14. J&J Sold Insulin Pumps After Learning of Defects, FDA Says – BusinessWeek | Bob the Schizo

[...] Diabetes Care Devices Market Outlook …SBWire (press release)all 8 news articles »J&J Sold Insulin Pumps After Learning of Defects, FDA Says – BusinessWeek01/10/2012J&J Sold …n changes, the Food and Drug Administration said. The agency faulted the J&J unit for …and [...]