1. Stacey D.
    Stacey D. August 24, 2011 at 6:31 am | | Reply

I’ve broken every “rule” on your list. However getting pedicures is my latest. Up until last year, I was like Kerri and was afraid to get one. But with the advice of a fellow D-friend, I bring my own supplies to the salon so that I at least know that what they are using on my feet are clean and only filled with my own germs, if any. I’ve had no problems at all so far. And I agree Amy, they are heavenly :) I also have 4 tattoos and thinking of getting more. (Allison watch out, they are totally addictive!) I had no problems at all with them healing. My take on shoes has taken a turn recently since I’m in the beginning stages of neuropathy. I also think age took a part in this as now I’m not so much about the fashion but I’m all about the comfort! I never, ever walk around bare foot though. I’m a bit paranoid about that.

2. Jason H
    Jason H August 24, 2011 at 7:30 am | | Reply

hey..
    male here..
    6 tats, earring, but never will I get a pedi again.. I got ingrown toe nails..

as for open toes, I live in Taiwan and its hot hot hot here.. I almost always have something on my feet.. flip flops, sandals etc..
    in the house I wear my birks.. everey where else its Royal elastics.. thinking of getting some skechers.

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter August 24, 2011 at 7:35 am | | Reply

I’ve started going barefoot again, although I will put on flip flops if I’m going outdoors or down in the basement. My feet feel better without shoes.

4. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell August 24, 2011 at 8:22 am | | Reply

Nice tattoo Allison, and excellent word choice in Greek, I looked up χάρις on Strong’s. I can’t read the Hebrew.

1. AllisonB
      AllisonB August 24, 2011 at 11:32 am | | Reply

Thanks Bernard! It’s faith in Hebrew, grace in Greek.

5. Morticia
    Morticia August 24, 2011 at 8:25 am | | Reply

I go barefoot all the time, sometimes even outside. I do wear open toed shoes, but I have weirdly shaped feet and have trouble finding ones that fit.

6. Sysy
    Sysy August 24, 2011 at 9:16 am | | Reply

I’m so glad you ladies did this article!!!

Well I didn’t hear about the no-no rules until after I broke all of them. I’ve always gone all over the place barefoot (where it’s decent to do so of course). I’ve worn stinky soccer cleats during muddy games hundreds of times. I’ve spent years of my life atop 5 inch heels. I’ve gotten pedicures. I had plenty of foot injuries from sports or other activities and have just cleaned the wounds, wrapped them up, soaked my foot in really hot water to kill the infection, and let them heal. I don’t have a tattoo but that’s because I prefer to use that money on shoes :)

7. Melitta
    Melitta August 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

These “rules” may apply to some people who have very poorly controlled diabetes, or have a complication such as neuropathy, but for those with well-controlled diabetes and no complications, I just don’t think they apply.

I did read a news article once about a young Type 1 woman in Australia with poorly controlled diabetes who actually died following a Brazilian waxing. Not worth it!

8. anne
    anne August 24, 2011 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

I went hang gliding for 45 minutes once… one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

9. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson August 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm | | Reply

Love the tat Allison!

10. Lauren
    Lauren August 25, 2011 at 10:48 am | | Reply

haha I have broken everyone of those rules! I love my pedicures! Well I don’t have a tattoo, but if I wanted to I would too! haha I have never had a problem with any of my rule breakings!

11. Myra
    Myra August 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

I am thoroughly bummed. Now that I am psyched about getting a diabetes tattoo – I am told it is contraindicated for people allergic to metals! Evidently the pigments in tat ink all have some metal components. By the time they actually market the nano-encapsulated inks, I probably will be too old to remember why I wanted a tat in the first place…

12. Natalie
    Natalie August 27, 2011 at 11:46 am | | Reply

A couple of anecdotes:
    Years ago, my beloved aunt gave me a gift pedicure at the salon she went to, and made sure to warn them that I had diabetes. Well, unfortunately, by the time the pedicure was done, my feet were hurting so bad, I swore never to do that again. I can cut my own toenails, and clean and moisturize my feet myself. Yes, it would be fun to be pampered, but not at the expense of pain.
    Second, I used to go barefoot in my house, which has hardwood floors. One day, I stepped on a rusty thumbtack that I didn’t see. I went to the emergency room immediately, and fortunately, it didn’t get infected, but I keep thinking what if? A friend just had a leg amputated because of an infection she developed from surgery to repair a ruptured achilles tendon. I will admit to being terrified of amputations, even though she is handling it amazingly well, and will do anything I need to, to avoid the possibility!

13. Sarra
    Sarra August 28, 2011 at 11:26 am | | Reply

very interesting info!
    well…the poorly controlled PWB are not allowed to do anything of these?

14. Karen
    Karen August 28, 2011 at 10:52 pm | | Reply

I have broken many of them! Am careful about where I do manicures/pedicures. I always volunteer that I am diabetic, and so far, the person who is working with me has always known immediately why I told her that, and we usually end up chatting about it. Frankly, I don’t know what I would do if she gave me a blank look…I would probably have to reschedule…with someone else.
    I am trying to break the walking around barefoot thing. But, I wear flip flops and open toed shoes all the time. My podiatrist says that as long as my feeling is good in my feet, I still can. But, I am supposed to keep in the back of my mind that someday, I will most likely have to stop.
    I have a tattoo, but I got it before I was diabetic. Only have ears pierced, and they were done prior to diabetes too. Haven’t done waxing in some time, and never would’ve thought of that one!

15. Rob O.
    Rob O. May 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm | | Reply

I had all kinds of trouble with ingrown toenails in spite of getting a number of pedicures over the course of a year or so. Then, upon the advise of an older friend, I sought out a podiatrist. He identified an issue with the growth of the nails and did corrective steps, trimming the sides of my big toenails down with a sort of micro-chisel. He also grinds the nails to the correct length and shapes them with a tool very similar to a Dremel. I’ve been seeing the good doc about every 5 weeks for 6 months and no longer have pain. And his visits are about half the price of the spa pedicures I had been getting.

My sessions with the podiatrist are rather clinical and certainly not as luxurious as sitting in the pedi chair at a spa sipping a latte, but the end result is priceless!

Skip the pedicures and instead see a podiatrist if you’re having problems with ingrown toenails!

16. Emilio D.
    Emilio D. June 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm | | Reply

Hi Allison dig your tattoo, thanks for the info about tattoos I want to get more. Now I have proof to show my sisters it’s okay for me to get some tattoos. They were afraid I would get an infection.

17. cbelyea
    cbelyea October 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm | | Reply

Three words: Max bolus exceeded.

18. Sade
    Sade June 6, 2013 at 9:10 am | | Reply

I have type 2 diabetes and currently have 5 tattoos and just got another on top of my right foot. My family went crazy with saying I am not allowed to be getting tattoos because of my diabetes but I am glad to find out I amnot the only one. I do plan on getting more because yes they are very addicting lol. As far as the pedicures I do get those and my nails done, but I have been going to the same very clean and upscale place for a long time. I know and watch how they clean the tools and machines and I am very happy with what they do. I am one woman that will not stop my womanly duties :) I have also thought about getting my cartilage re pierced.

19. Dani
    Dani October 4, 2013 at 11:29 pm | | Reply

I have been type 1 diabetic for about 18 years now. I currently have 22 piercings and 12 tattoos. Just yesterday i got a tat on my right foot. I admit i never really took completely good care of myself but i never had a healing problem. As for open toed shoes, i wear them all the time! Super comfy :) very rarely walk around barefoot though. Yes PWDs dont heal as well as people without diabetes, but that doesn’t mean that nothing heals right. All we gotta do is keep an extra eye on our injuries. I mean, anyone can get an infection or whatnot. Dont let diabetes get in the way of what you love :) :)

20. Sophie
    Sophie June 23, 2014 at 2:10 am | | Reply

I broken every rule what you mention in this post because without sweet,no no way…i loved sweets and love to eat it.

21. Dennis
    Dennis July 14, 2014 at 7:48 am | | Reply

I have diabetes since I was 9 years old now I am 39 years old. I was tinking get my first tattoo but I am very afraid if something happen to diabetes peoples can infection or died from tattoo. I ask my family and doctors they kept said NO YOU NOT ALLOW HAVE TATTOO. I was so upset and I am asking you all people what you think I should get my first ratio I need tattoo so Brady my sister and brother has tattoo an I don’t have one reason that I had diabetes I use insulin I don’t know if I able get tattoo so please let me know asap send me email hope hear from all of you dennismartinjr39@gmail.com

Dennis

22. SarahK
    SarahK July 14, 2014 at 11:20 am | | Reply

All except the waxing thing. And it wasn’t until another PWD urged me to “go for it” in regards to a pedicure (though I had gotten mani’s all the time). I’ve been contemplating a new tat for a while, just don’t know where I want it. I was told nothing below the hip, so that one looks to be an iffy “no-no” as well.

23. Lisa
    Lisa August 7, 2014 at 10:00 pm | | Reply

I am diabetic and Almost 28. Tomorrow I was getting a tattoo on my foot(top part) just basic infinity symbol with love written however my concern has made my bf and I change locations as I fear that it could get infected more with being a diabetic for over 14 years.
    Was there prolonged healing? Did it hurt more? I have 3 others that I got in different locations that I never even flinched my tatt man said so since this guy is a new guy for me even if he is well experienced I still feel concerned as we wanted our matching tattoos to be on our feet.
    Please give me some feedback