1. Roselady
    Roselady August 2, 2011 at 6:25 am | | Reply

I always appreciate these posts about how different countries deal with diabetes. Makes me also appreciate our care here in America…

2. shannon
    shannon August 2, 2011 at 8:06 am | | Reply

margot, thanks for such an informative post on what your experience is in belgium. very inspiring! keep up your great advocacy work!

allison, thanks for bringing this new perspective to your readers.

3. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera August 2, 2011 at 10:23 am | | Reply

Very informative article, Margot! And your English is superb! :-) I’m glad you’re spending time advocating for Type 2 as well as children and adults with Type 1. ALL diabetics need advocacy, and we all need people like you! :-)

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson August 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

Thank you for sharing your story and for working so hard to help people!

5. colleen
    colleen August 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us.
    It’s good to know that there are advocates everywhere!

6. Small steps, giant leaps | Fish, Chips & Mushy Peas

[...] Diabetes in Belgium at Age 17 (diabetesmine.com) [...]

7. Margot Vanfleteren
    Margot Vanfleteren August 3, 2011 at 11:56 am | | Reply

Hi guyz!

Thanks for all the positive comments!

8. Heikki Hemmila
    Heikki Hemmila October 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

Hello Margot!
    Congratulations for the award! Superb! I have some pics of the occasion. If you wish I can send you. I am a doctor and I wish to make a computer game for diabetes patients and carers. I would be very interested on your program, some more info?
    We Serve!

9. Vanfleteren margot
    Vanfleteren margot November 26, 2011 at 6:02 am | | Reply

Hi!

Yes Of course I’m intrested! very intrested actually!
    Do you have my mail?

Gtrz!

Margot

10. Barbara
    Barbara September 2, 2013 at 6:56 am | | Reply

Hello and thank you for your article. My 8 year old son was just diagnosed with Diabetes in Belgium in December. We are American, but have lived in Belgium for 3 years and will be here at least another 3 years. We go to Belgian doctors so we have to pay in advance and hope our American insurance company will reimburse us (sometimes/often it doesn’t because the names of the insulin are different or because billing is different here). Also, the treatment options seem very different here. I’ve asked my son’s doctor about MDI and pumping and have been told that it isn’t done here at my son’s age (and that the pump isn’t popular here because the doctors don’t trust it).