1. ally
    ally July 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

I dated someone from Serbia once… reading this helps me understand why his family was so strongly against us getting married. In fact they said specifically that he should not marry someone with diabetes. It was a major reason we broke up after several years. It was baffling to me that, even being highly educated, they would hold such a prejudice.

I am sorry for the struggles that people in Serbia face, both in getting social support and in attaining the required supplies. Congrats to you for your success and in paving the way to improve life for people with diabetes.

2. Stoyan
    Stoyan July 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm | | Reply

Great post. It is inspiring to read how different people around he world are coping with diabetes.

Associate Editor
    JDCA

3. Simona
    Simona July 11, 2011 at 5:48 pm | | Reply

Wow :/ Thank you for your post, Raskovic. I am an Italian in the US, and what I read makes me sad. I’m trying to think of initiatives that could possibly change the way diabetes is perceived and treated by the authorities in your country. Maybe the diabetes associations could have a key-role on this sort of cultural revolution. They could keep working on the spread of information about diabetes and its management. Concurrently, they could also play united to reach the Ministry of Health and open a discussion table where the needs of diabetics become a shared priority. My apologies if my view sounds naïve, but diabetics in order to have a life quality that is comparable to any non-diabetic human being’s can’t pretend not to have diabetes. They need more help from the government. With your blog you provide an important service to the diabetic community. Indeed, getting emotional support is really important when you deal with a chronic dysfunction. But that can’t be simply it, and I don’t want to think that things in your country will be this way forever.
    Please, keep posting. I hope to read about an important reform of the health care system in Serbia, someday not too far away !!

4. Sam
    Sam July 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm | | Reply

I have had Type 1 for 33 years. As we all know it has not been easy. I know someone will tell me this is not the place to be policital, but this post is a great example of the need for REAL CHANGE.

The previous post said that diabetics in order to have a life quality that is comparable to any non-diabetic human being’s can’t pretend not to have diabetes. They need more help from the government.

WHAT? MORE help by the GOVERNMENT???

These posts from other countries break my heart because of the struggles they have. I just thank God to be in the US and have at least somewhat free market healthcare when I read the post by Raskovic and read the part about orders being “canceled by the order of the Ministry of Health!”

The Government does NOT HELP! It needs to get the heck out of the way and let FREEDOM truly help people. The Government is the most beauracratic, slow, ill-equiped, mismanaged, unconerned, NOT user driven, NOT patient driven example of anything in the world.

Why do people continue to think the Government is here to help them and after they see it fails them, they just want MORE?

I am so said for these people in other countries. Our systems has many failures but it is THE BEST IN THE WORLD. It needs to be changed, but not completely redone. Don’t cut of our nose to spite our face!

We DO NOT WANT OR NEED a Ministry of Health. I want and need my DOCTOR to treat me, not a Ministry of Health.

The posts from other countries are very interesting and should make us all want to Repeal Obamacare and get REAL REFORM.

5. Health as a Human Right
    Health as a Human Right July 12, 2011 at 6:11 am | | Reply

Thank you, Raskovic for bringing this issue to the forefront. I remember when I was diagnosed 8 years ago and studying economics I came across this article “Insulin for the World’s Poorest Countries” (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10752719) which stated that “The life expectancy for a newly diagnosed patient with type 1 diabetes in some parts of Africa may be as short as 1 year” I was profoundly moved by this and set on a course to study health as a human right. It’s not just Africa that is affected – it’s the world and so many countries that don’t have the resources that we do. Insulin isn’t that expensive to make, yet for various reasons (mostly to do with pricing) of course it’s not available for all of those whose lives depend on it – not just to live but to lead a full life. And beyond insulin, as you say, education that isn’t afforded to those who are diagnosed. It’s truly heartbreaking.

I had the amazing opportunity to go to an orphanage in Mostar, Bosnia in 2006. I was quite nervous about managing my diabetes and ensuring I ate a gluten free diet. I didn’t know if something happened who would take care of me, even with the hospital next to the orphanage (the only place I could find a phone to let my mom know I was ok). But what I found in that country was both inspiring and frustrating. I’ve never met as nice a people as I met in Bosnia (and I’m sure that’s true for all the former Yugoslavian countries). I never met people more welcoming and generous to help someone clearly out of their element. I never felt unsafe though the only travel guide I could find told me to be wary of land mines. I was astounded by the hope and kindness I found there.

But I was also frustrated. Bosnia and surely Serbia too (sorry If I’m grouping you together and should not be) are safe and lovely countries. Yet the world doesn’t see you. Since the war, no one has cared to reinvest in your countries and as such you are left with the sight of war torn countries and bombed out buildings next to ads for Coca Cola. The infrastructure has suffered the most and in that the health care that should be available to all who live there. To this day it brings tears to my eyes thinking that in so many countries people are dying from this disease – whether it’s because they can’t get to a doctor or they can’t get medicines and supplies.

I am so glad to know there are advocates like you who are working to raise awareness, especially for the young, about living a full life with type 1 and willing to fight some of the barriers and stigma associated with the misunderstanding of this disease. I want so much for this world to change, to recognize fully what it means to have health as a human right. And your contribution reminds me of the people I met in Bosnia, the incredible spirit that persists to help others.

Thank you again.

6. Sysy
    Sysy July 12, 2011 at 9:04 am | | Reply

I read somewhere that the World Health Organization places the US on par with the same level of health care as Serbia. It doesn’t sound like it…anyone else hear this?

Anyway, I’m very touched by this post. I do agree that health is a human right-absolutely.

7. Simona
    Simona July 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

Sam- Despite the fact that we all don’t like it, everywhere medicine reflects the political asset of a country. You can have more or less free assistance depending on the country you live in, but that always depends on the authorities. The problem is that they should protect their people not deny the most important needs.
    Companies always get paid for their products. I don’t think that patients on their own could fight the giants of industry and get what’s needed for free. It’s the government that should be their first advocate.

It took me awhile to adjust to the American health care system. But after reading these posts, although things could be easier, I feel lucky too to be in the US…

8. Ninoslav
    Ninoslav April 10, 2012 at 5:16 am | | Reply

In mean time situation is not better, it is going worse and worse, I hope that Ministry of health will help us and that people with diabetes in Serbia will live better.