1. June S
    June S July 22, 2011 at 4:48 am | | Reply

Hmmm… I, too, love technology. I have an iPhone, a Mac, a PC, and a MM pump (blue.) Tried the OmniPod (in my opinion the most modern-looking of the pumping devices, with the coolest PDM.) Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me as well as it does for Amy. Anyway, having just celebrated my 39th, complication-free, Diaversary, I am SO thankful to have a pump/CGMS and meter (for God’s sake!) I spent the first 10 years after diagnosis with NO meter, doing urine glucose tests in test tubes with Clinitest tablets, was SO happy when the color-coded test strips that you put blood on and wiped it off and waited to see what BG-range the color was, AND living with injections of primitive Regular and NPH insulins that made my blood glucose plummet at least 4 times a day, that I’m not terribly upset that my pump looks like a pager! On the other hand, I can hardly wait for the iBGStar meter (seems I’ve been waiting a year already, and I guess the FDA is holding it up)!

2. Scott S
    Scott S July 22, 2011 at 6:18 am | | Reply

I’m not really a diabetes technology person — I wore a pump for a period a few years ago and gave it up (willingly) when I’d capped my durable medical equipment limit and the warranty expired, but I think the questions you pose are excellent, and SHOULD also be a regulatory requirement (hmmm, there’s an interesting idea; a lay review committee for the FDA … maybe we can lobby for it!). The new smartphones and the like are cool, but bridging the gap between those and medical stuff seems like a monumental challenge. When I attended the Roche Social Media summit in June, I told the product development folks at the company to consider adding a compartment to their meter cases for USED test strips, which as we all know, end up all over the place. That seemingly simple idea had not occurred to them, but I was told that they liked the idea, so maybe someone … the right person … has heard?!

3. Diabetes
    Diabetes July 22, 2011 at 6:35 am | | Reply

What I do not like is that phone application used to monitor your blood sugar. It is so lame how could a device like a phone monitor your blood sugar level? Heartbeat yes, but diabetes is all in the blood. One needs to have those blood sugar monitors. They save lives.

4. Cindy
    Cindy July 22, 2011 at 6:56 am | | Reply

Well written article, great information. Thank You

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell July 22, 2011 at 10:55 am | | Reply

Amy, as well as pushing Jeffrey Brewer I’ve also talked to someone from the devices section of the FDA. I was trying to persuade them that lack of interoperability is a safety issue. If I can’t use a single piece of software to give me an overall picture of my diabetes that includes: insulin basals; insulin boluses; meter readings; CGM readings; weight; etc, what chance do we have of making any sense of it all.

As more people use CGMs, and newer CGM devices arrive, this situation will get worse. We’ll have even more data that cannot be transformed into information that we can use.

6. Jana
    Jana July 22, 2011 at 11:35 am | | Reply

One of the things I find most infuriating about my own diabetes technology is the @$&)@#( infrared port for uploaded one’s data from the Animas Ping. It always takes 10 minutes of fiddling and repositioning (and then holding my breath when it finally does connect) to upload my data! Leaving aside interoperability concerns (which I also agree should be a top priority), it’s hard for me to PHYSICALLY get my data off the device! (Infrared data transfer is so 10 years ago, as well. Palm Pilot anyone?)

7. Christopher Wilson
    Christopher Wilson July 24, 2011 at 4:28 am | | Reply

I love my omnipod, but the pdm annoys me immensely. Its huge. I have to bring a messenger bag with me everywhere because theres no way to fit it in my pocket, atleast without having this giant bulge. I’m excited for pancreum since it finally fixes this problem by using a smart phone as the controller. I always have my phone with me, but then I need a giant pdm and a giant dexcom receiver.

8. Jerome Radcliffe
    Jerome Radcliffe July 25, 2011 at 9:56 am | | Reply

Careful what you ask for. Having everything super connected is a security risk. I actually prefer the IR data/Config method as it is more secure. I am going to be talking about this very topic at a conference next week (https://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-us-11/bh-us-11-briefings.html#Radcliffe).

9. Joseph Flaherty
    Joseph Flaherty July 25, 2011 at 10:32 am | | Reply

Great post!

Design is key to making great products, but I think there are other issues that need to be considered.

All of our products, and I would assume most of our competitors, are in fact designed by teams that include people with diabetes. Even at a small company like ours we have several people who deal with the very issues you talk about and provide first hand feedback on our products.

Non-PWD’s are required to use a glucose monitor for a period to learn “first-finger” what it’s like to deal with diabetes. The more adventurous have also worn saline pods and CGMS sensors to get an even better understanding.

Regarding your comment about strip storage, we actually filed patents on 4 different designs back in 2005! Designers at all the big companies have lots of great ideas, but we face some serious roadblocks including: Retail distribution, Insurance Coverage, Regulations, Economics, etc.

We all want to make great products as much as you want to use them, but we need your help. We would love to participate in this summit in the fall and share what we’ve learned and ideas about how we can improve the system!