1. Joe
    Joe July 16, 2011 at 6:26 am | | Reply

When I can, I inject in public. I get nary a look, thankfully.

2. Jana
    Jana July 16, 2011 at 8:20 am | | Reply

Renee might also want to check out the “diabetes etiquette for people who don’t have diabetes” cards from the Behavioral Diabetes Institute (http://behavioraldiabetesinstitute.org/resources-diabetes-information-publications-etiquettecard.html). If it’s too tough to start a conversation with the unsupportive family/mother cold, the card could be a good conversation starter.

#5 is “Don’t look so horrified when I check my blood sugars or give myself an injection. It is not a lot of fun for me either. Checking blood sugars and taking medications are things I must do to manage diabetes well. If I have to hide while I do so, it makes it much harder for me.”

3. Jennifer
    Jennifer July 16, 2011 at 8:30 am | | Reply

SERIOUSLY?
    This make me sooo mad that a FAMILY member would ask you to do this. Hubs is diabitic as is my mother in law and insulin taking is something that’s just done. Hubs has ALWAYS in our own home taken insulin where he is and has felt awkward at times when we are out. Diabetes is awkward ENOUGH without having to worry about how people react to you taking your shot. That’s just wrog.

4. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter July 16, 2011 at 9:21 am | | Reply

Yes, this behavior is hurtful, and especially painful coming from those we should be able to trust: our family, friends, and colleagues. If we all had a dime for every comment, diabetes research would be fully funded. But it stems from ignorance, and widespread and outdated misinformation. The solution is to be very visible in the ways we deal with diabetes and to explain again and again and again. After 7 years of LADA, my husband and daughter get it, 98% of the time. My family are getting better, but we get together infrequently and what they seem to learn is often forgotten by the next visit. My instinct is to hide even more, not to bother them, to protect myself; but because we are blood, they need to know. It’s the demon in the darkness that frightens us the most; turn on a light and the world is less scary.

5. Hans
    Hans July 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

My almost 3 years young granddaughter has been helping me with my injections ever since she could sit and put a little hand on the diapen (automatic gadget). And she insists on opa’s bare belly pulling the shirt out of my trousers when I attempt to shoot through the shirt with more company than just the family at the table. And sure she also helps me with my finger pricking. – I’ve heard of people like Renee’s mom, but so far they’ve all been lucky not to have met with me yet ;-)

6. Sysy
    Sysy July 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm | | Reply

Loved your response to the first question. I totally agree and feel for this person. I’d feel quite hurt if my family treated me this way :(

As for the pump, that may be true, but I do rather well with my very inconsistent schedule of activity, sleeping and eating (due to my twin 2 year olds that I stay home with all day) and shots and lower than average carb meals do the trick for me. So I’d say the pump thing is relative. But the best way to find out is to try the pump! Then you know for sure if you benefit well from it or not and if you do, you win!

7. Richard
    Richard July 17, 2011 at 4:56 am | | Reply

I worked the nighshift for a few months last year. My biggest problem wasn’t so much the fact that it was the night shift, but that made it for little consistency. I have always found that consistent patterns throughout the week for eating, sleeping and exercising was very helpful in keeping my Diabetes regulated.
    But I worked the nighshift week days and then in the weekend when I had to keep my social life alive, I had to swap out of the night shift regimen. And thats a bigger change then the normal workday and weekend switches. Keeping consistency in carb intake and exercise every day was a big help for me in managing the whole thing.
    Instead of using normal clock hours to add consistency (breakfest at 07:00, lunch at 12:00, etc) I just swapped to an X hours from waking up schedual (breakfest 1 hour after waking up, etc). Sounds weird, but it worked very well for me. My a1c went up only 0,4 for those months to like 6,3. But in the end I was glad when it was over (and I knew beforehand it was a limited time). In hindsight being in a supportive relationship back then was also a major help to pulling it off.

8. Karen Rose Tank
    Karen Rose Tank July 17, 2011 at 7:14 am | | Reply

Hi Renee… any chance you live within an hour or so of Princeton, NJ? I run a monthly support group for people with type 1 (there are also weekly groups for people with type 2 and weight issues)… called http://www.TheSuppersPrograms.org where we come together for the first hour and cook a low carb meal of healthy whole foods TOGETHER… so fun.. all t1s… we all test our blood sugar together, compare meters and pumps, CGMs and our trials and tribulations… as well as our successes. Then we sit down to share a meal for the the next hour. It is fantastic. Supportive, empowering… loving!

The support groups lead me to change my career… become a health and nutrition coach mainly for people with diabetes… I am so crazy passionate about supporting people like you… after my 15 years of living with t1… I just felt compelled to go back to school in nutrition and bring what I have learned to others.

Check out my site… http://www.RoseHealthCoaching.com... for more info on my approach.. I even have several docs (including my endo) sending patients to me!

Keep up these wonderful connections Will!!!

Karen Rose Tank… 15 years of t1, Certified Health Coach

9. Meri
    Meri July 18, 2011 at 1:04 am | | Reply

This is about Renee’s mother’s request that she take care of her shots away from her family. I did not agree with Wil’s comments. Why does she have to get in everyones face with it? It has nothing to do with being supportive. People can show compassion but don’t need to witness blood testing, injections and viewing an aray of equiptment spread out on the dining table. It’s like “it takes a village” mentality. Actually the strength should come from within yourself. Make it no big deal – it’s a daily meds thing you do quietly – no need to sound so resentful – you’ll find that ultimately it’s your thing – not anybody elses. Wil’s comments were so childlish – getting so upset mom’s request. The most important thing is to keep her blood sugar normal and daily life normal and happy.

10. mollyjade
    mollyjade July 18, 2011 at 8:02 am | | Reply

I worked the night shift for awhile. The thing that worked for me was to keep that same schedule on my days off. It’s tempting to switch to “normal” hours for socializing, but I found it hard to keep to a consistent schedule doing that.

The benefit of working the night shift was no tempting restaurant food. You’re pretty much required to bring in food, which makes it easier to carb count and eat healthy.

I think I would work on addressing your reaction to stress as well, since stress can mess with your blood sugars.

11. Meg
    Meg July 23, 2011 at 9:19 am | | Reply

I agree with Meri about the request that testing and injections be done privately. It’s not an unreasonable request. Wil, I bet if you give it any thought you can think of some medical procedures you’d rather not see at the dinner table! Some people are really uncomfortable seeing injections – don’t make your problem their problem.