1. Janet Seltzer
    Janet Seltzer July 9, 2011 at 10:07 am | | Reply

I am a type 2 diabetic, in my first year of diagnosis. I have seriously reduced my daily carb intake, but am trying to find things that I love and can still eating without causing my bg to go up too much. I have found a tortilla that has 10 g. carbs, 7 g. fiber, and no sugars of any kind, and they are delicious! So now I can have one of my favorite foods again. A quesadilla, filled with cheese, chicken, pinto beans, salsa, guacamole. I’m in heaven! Also, I have found that the Atkins Bars are really the only bar that has a lot of protein, and doesn’t have tons of carbs. For an emergency snack food.

I also have always been someone who doesn’t like to eat when I first wake up. So now I start my day with about 8 oz. of unsweetened almond milk, mixed with whey protein powder. The Almond Milk (has to be the unsweetened kind) has only 2 g. carbs, and 0 sugar. The protein powder (chocolate) that I use has 1 g. carb, and 0 sugar, and 25 g. protein. It is sweetened with Stevia.

2. Meri
    Meri July 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

I’ve always been curious about the sugar alcohol thing. Thank you for clearing this up! Although we aren’t big fans of sugar alcohol around her, we were sent some ice cream that had it, and a couple of my boys wen’t low after the fact. Turns out I should have subtracted a bit from the carbs. Great info!

3. tmana
    tmana July 9, 2011 at 11:04 pm | | Reply

The “breakfast” issue is an interesting one: for many of us, eating breakfast — even a low-carb breakfast — tends to make us spike higher than eating anything else later in the day (as in, after anything remotely relatedf to “dawn phenomenon” has come and gone). Also, I find the more I eat for breakfast, the hungrier I am the rest of the day — regardless of my caloric needs.

4. Richard
    Richard July 10, 2011 at 1:33 am | | Reply

@tmana: Breakfast always requires more insulin per carbs to cover for me then the other meals of the day. My endo always told me it is just the body starting up. Which makes some sense to me; just as I need less insulin after exercise, it makes some sense to me that I require a bit more after lying in my bed for several hours in a row.

5. Wil
    Wil July 10, 2011 at 6:43 am | | Reply

Tmana and Richard–for what it’s worth, I use a 1:15 insulin to carb ratio for breakfast and a 1:18 for the rest of the day; so for me b-fast requires more insulin too.

1. Adrian
      Adrian July 24, 2013 at 5:42 pm | | Reply

Same here.

I have about a 1:5 rate in the morning and 1:12 around dinner.

My son’s goes from 1:9 in the morning up to 1:13 in the evening.

Also – thank you Wil for chiming in about how your first meal of the day affects your metabolic rate for the whole day! This is especially true for people with T2D or no diabetes at all and a low-carb, high-protein breakfast is a key part of how to set yourself up for a healthy day.

It’s also yet another excuse to eat bacon. Mmm… Bacon…

Cheers,
      Adrian

6. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston July 13, 2011 at 12:09 am | | Reply

I often don’t eat for several hours after waking, initially because I have to wait an hour to eat after taking my morning thyroid medication upon waking (yes, a second auto-immune condition, developed a few years ago, thank you very much…). But – the whole breakfast conversation has gotten me rethinking trying to eat something in the morning again (rather than just waiting till lunch, which is what I often do).I just bought whey powder for the first time ever thanks to Janet Seltzer’s suggestion (yes, chocolate with stevia :-) . Lkg fw to trying it! :)

7. Sandi
    Sandi July 15, 2011 at 7:16 pm | | Reply

We recently read that we don’t need to count sugar alcohol carbs at all for our Type 1 daughter. She rarely eats anything with this in it but we do have some fudgesicles with it. Now I’m confused because you say to count 1/2 the carbs. Aggghhhh!!

8. Elle
    Elle July 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

I usually eat fruit & a lot of tea iwth a LOT of skim milk. Would this count as breakfast? I go thru about 1 1/2 cups of milk. I wake up feeling groggy & icky & can’t face anything solid til i”ve been up a few hours. No, not smoothies, nor do I have the co ordination to make them. I have trouble eating protein anyway, & certainly can’t handle it in the early morning.

9. Carbs | | Diet and ExercisesDiet and Exercises

[...] Ask D’Mine: The Truth Behind Net Carbs and Eating Breakfast … Don from Florida, type 1, asks: Can you tell me about net carbs vs. total carbs? To me, a sugar alcohol is a carb to be counted, as are fiber grams. If I would just take insulin for net carbs, I’d really have trouble … http://www.diabetesmine.com/20 .. [...]

10. Amal Richard
    Amal Richard August 20, 2013 at 10:06 pm | | Reply

Really a awesome article. Do you want to know about the healthy recipes that keep you young. just visit