1. Meg
    Meg July 2, 2011 at 9:40 am | | Reply

Re water at the airport: my globetrotting daughter gave me this suggestion – carry an empty water bottle thru security and fill it up on the other side. It’s a lot better than paying $$ for water.

2. Jana
    Jana July 2, 2011 at 9:54 am | | Reply

The letter may actually be a necessity, depending on where you’re traveling. The TSA doesn’t require a doctor’s letter to accompany vials of insulin and syringes and such anymore, but the TSA will not have jurisdiction over your whole journey when you’re traveling internationally, so check with the countries where you’re traveling. (I was told when going through security in Ireland last December that I should have a doctor’s letter to accompany my supplies…granted, I never checked to be sure the security people were quoting the regulations at me correctly…)

3. Sysy
    Sysy July 2, 2011 at 11:23 am | | Reply

Wil! LOL I must have added a year to my life thanks to all the laughing I just did. Thank you :)

4. Vicki
    Vicki July 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

Most importantly carry your diabetes meds and supplies with you on the airplane in case your luggage is lost and for temperature control. The last two times I have flown my juice box got the most attention. I really had a fit and kept it both times. So be prepared for any situation.

5. Health Blog
    Health Blog July 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm | | Reply

Thanks for such a great post. International travel generally means long flights and long flight is troublesome problem for diabetics. You must be ready (with insulin or oral hypoglycemic drugs and with glucose) for long journey if you are diabetes.

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell July 5, 2011 at 7:40 am | | Reply

Wil, I’ve personally seen the ways these pontifications can be problematic. I’ve a postcard from Joslin about 1995 where the A1c levels marked as ideal would be regarded as horrible by today’s standards. A few years ago my cholesterol went from good to bad just because they dropped the recommended level for PWDs.

It’s enough to drive someone to drink. Speaking of which, I might just have a beer with lunch, or some lunch with my beer!

7. Wendy Fley
    Wendy Fley August 26, 2011 at 5:23 am | | Reply

My husband wears a pump. He used to have a lot of problems with security, even though they knew about pumps. He has “mostly” solved this by unplugging before he goes through security and “replugging” after he passes through. It saves a lot of time and he’s not patted down.