1. Zazzy
    Zazzy July 23, 2011 at 7:27 am | | Reply

I was on a dextrose drip following emergency surgery and they kept being surprised that my blood sugars were high. “Are they like this at home?” they kept asking. Well, no, but then I’m rarely on a dextrose drip at home. Other than that, I’ve had no issues with diabetes control in the hospital. Metformin was stopped for several days after knee surgery and replaced with small doses of insulin.

2. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter July 23, 2011 at 10:06 am | | Reply

Talk to your endo and have them talk to the surgeons to ensure your blood sugars are monitored before and after and that you get the antibiotics you will need. The surgeons will say of course, but they often forget. When you check in, make sure everyone knows you are insulin-dependent diabetic and that the necessary insulin and antibiotics are on the chart. Stress and trauma will make blood sugar run high (as would that dextrose drip; they had me on an insulin drip) and high blood sugar will make it harder for you to fight infection and heal.

3. Vicki
    Vicki July 23, 2011 at 10:49 am | | Reply

Ask for an endo consult or a diabetes educator if you want them. Also do not hesitate to ask questions about meds/doses or the treatment plan for your diabetes which often changes daily while in the hospital. This can help you be proactive ie. making sure you receive the snacks you are used to eating or receiving your meal time insulin at the correct time.

4. JiLL
    JiLL July 23, 2011 at 11:04 am | | Reply

I get a bit frustrated with the assurance that good BG control can prevent all complications. Yes, it can help and certainly won’t hurt, but somethings are just out of our control. I’m 27, Type 1 for 4 years, never (other than at diagnosis) have had an A1c above 6.2, run 5k 3-4 times a week, eat mostly whole grains and veggies, watch my fat and salt intake, sleep 8 hours a day and I’m on TWO meds for high blood pressure. This is not the worst thing that could happen, but its still a bit frustrating. Doing everything “right” is no guarantee that everything will work out just fine and its frustrating when people say that controlling your BG will mean everything will work out fine, when that’s not always true.

5. Vicki
    Vicki July 23, 2011 at 11:41 am | | Reply

Jill,

Great Job! You are a great inspiration and role nodel for other PWD. Keep up the good work and know you are decreasing your risks of DM compications in the meantime!

6. Jim D
    Jim D July 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

I’ve been a type-1 diabetic for 48 years now and have rarely had an issue with healing (remember this was pre-test meters). I know some of it is the luck of my genetics and now I’m lucky enough to have an insulin pump which allows me to keep my glucose excursions to a small range.
    Anyway, I just spent 7-days in a Paris hospital for pneumonia (long story), this was half of my vacation. I found that they had some provincial notions about type-1 diabetes and didn’t have much knowledge about my pump as they hadn’t seen many of them (their comments). I had to discuss all of the things I did with my pump to keep my glucose under control. After about 30-minutes talking with both the Doctors and Nurses, they allowed me to both check my blood-sugars and administer my own insulin. In the bed next to me was a Type-2, overweight and not tight control who had just had a partial foot amputation (I’d guess him to be in his early 60s). In the end, my blood sugar control was better than his although the (excellent) hospital staff was both measuring his glucose and administering his insulin. The bottom line is if you can manage your diabetes on your own as much as possible in the hospital it’s a good thing, nobody knows your body better than you.

7. Hans
    Hans July 24, 2011 at 10:20 am | | Reply

Hi Jill,

in German we have a sying that you can get both lice and fleas. Your healthy bg control will certainly keep you from getting all those diabetic lice including bg-induced high blood pressure. But there are quite a few non-diabetics around with those normal non-diabetic fleas like high blood pressure, and there is no bg-way to shield us from such a flea thing :-(

Having had 64 years to cope with a growing number of fleas myself I’m quite happy not to have added any of those dragging bg-lice in the course of the 20 years of my D-career. And I keep my fingers crossed that there will be only the one or the other flea for you to tend in 2050 ;-)

8. Sysy
    Sysy July 25, 2011 at 5:24 am | | Reply

So true about the nurses! They are wonderful if you give them the kind respect they deserve. Mine were quite clueless about type 1 diabetes but I remember that being firm and respectful with them simply put them on my side. They went to bat for me with the doctors and said that “This girl knows what she is doing and she said that if we are late with her Lantus again or give her this dose of insulin without letting her carb count first, her blood sugars will be high and her c-section will not heal properly and we can’t have that!” Work with logic, not emotion when in the hospital.

9. Natalie Hodge
    Natalie Hodge July 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm | | Reply

Nice Post on healing! Should I let me newly diagnosed 11 year old read? Maybe not just yet… She would appreciate the humor though…