1. Jennifer
    Jennifer July 27, 2011 at 6:35 am | | Reply

Thanks for this article. Very good information and tips. I love #5 because recently my man and I had a big blow-up over something like that. I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way.

2. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie July 27, 2011 at 7:51 am | | Reply

Yep, these definitely apply to diabetic guys as well. Thanks.

I also like #5. When I get delayed because I forgot to refill my glucose tablet tube, or suddenly realize that I am about to go out for the day with only 1 test strip, don’t beat me up just because YOU are frustrated.

#4 is a really good one, too. Ask, don’t tell.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

3. tmana
    tmana July 27, 2011 at 7:59 am | | Reply

While many people with insulin-controlled diabetes can eat anything they want, many people with diet-controlled diabetes or who are only on oral or (non-insulin) injectable medications can’t. Please understand that we are not deliberately trying to be difficult about what we are eating — we are just trying to stay alive and healthy. We may at times need you to take our side and advocate for us in restaurants, and call in either the manager or the chef if the wait staff does not want to accommodate those needs.

There are also times that your gal with diabetes may need to put off her dinner a bit (if her blood glucose levels are running too high), or speed up the schedule (if they are running a bit low). Please understand we’re not doing that to be difficult; it’s just one of those things that comes along with the condition. And if we’re low and we go to a restaurant, it’s OK to hand us a sugar packet or ask the waiter (or even the hostess or maître d’) to have someone get us a glass of orange juice or a real soda (i.e., with sugar/corn syrup) immediately.

4. marion
    marion July 27, 2011 at 8:57 am | | Reply

#6 is right on.. on ex decided to take a shower before grabbing carbs and then wondered why I passed out.. If I could have walked I would have gotten them my self.

#5 should be followed up with really reminding us of things like did you pack your insulin and is it in the car because I don’t see it. Is really much easier than driving around finding the correct drug store 3 states away to get a back up prescription filled at midnight. Also it is always wonderful when crap happens that they are supportive and willing to go to the drug store at midnight.

This really made me want to go home to my husband and remind him that he is awesome.

5. Reyna
    Reyna July 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

I LOVED this list Sysy. Your insight and eloquent gift of putting it to words is helpful to so many. You are a ROCK girl.

6. Kelly Rawlings
    Kelly Rawlings July 29, 2011 at 6:18 am | | Reply

Love the points, Sysy! I’m always impressed—and grateful—when people without diabetes (but who love those of us who live with it) make an extra effort to understand, sympathize, and lighten the burden. To all the supportive type 3s out there—thank you!

7. Verna
    Verna July 29, 2011 at 7:50 am | | Reply

This is a good list, Sysy. Thank you for sharing. I’m going to pass this list along to my boyfriend, and to his brother, both of whom are dating girls with diabetes! (Though I will say for both of them, I think they are doing very well)

8. girlbirdy
    girlbirdy December 5, 2011 at 10:03 am | | Reply

LOVE THIS!! Every point made me want to go home and kiss my husband. It takes time to teach loved ones about Diabetes but it is SO worth it in the end. May all women be so lucky to find guys that are as supportive as ours!

9. Jame
    Jame January 9, 2014 at 12:34 pm | | Reply

This diabetic woman I’m dating better be pretty awesome. The sex better be great too. Because I have my work cut out for me, apparently.