1. Sysy
    Sysy June 21, 2011 at 6:34 am | | Reply

This sounds so interesting! Only when I studied the functional aspect of the insulins I take did I begin to really understand how to intensively manage my blood sugars safely (without too many swings in blood sugar). I think it’s FUNDAMENTAL and I think too many people are trying for very close glucose management without a full understanding of how their insulin works and as a result live through unfortunate frustrations as their tremendous efforts are not met with desired results.

We should be teaching everyone diagnosed with diabetes all about the ins and outs of insulin-we NEED that info. I resent having to learn it on my own with sometimes risky trial and error methods.

2. Craige McKenna
    Craige McKenna June 21, 2011 at 6:36 am | | Reply

“DMBooks” – I’m very interested in this book!

3. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter June 21, 2011 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Definitely DMBooks. This book would be very valuable to me.

4. Amy
    Amy June 21, 2011 at 6:57 am | | Reply

DMBooks
    I don’t know if I’ll have the time to read it, but it sounds fascinating. I always appreciate an Austrian outlook!

5. David Downs
    David Downs June 21, 2011 at 7:43 am | | Reply

Looks a great book. I’ll bet there’s info in there about bolusing rapid-acting insulin 15-20 min. BEFORE meals. This is an old idea (matching the insulin curve to the arrival of food) many of us used when we were shooting Regular insulin 15 or more years ago. I’m using this technique now with Apidra in my pump and my Dexcom shows my blood sugar staying FLAT after breakfast. When I say FLAT, I mean never rising above 140 after eating a carb heavy breakfast. I honestly wouldn’t have believed it to be possible if I didn’t see it on my own Dexcom receiver.

DMBooks

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 21, 2011 at 8:25 am | | Reply

Hmm, could be very useful to me. Thanks for pointing it out. DMBooks.

7. AngelaC
    AngelaC June 21, 2011 at 8:35 am | | Reply

Ok, you’ve got my interest, too, Amy and Allison! Sounds like it could be a good one for many of us who use insulin. DMBooks!

8. a.k.a Dia...Betty
    a.k.a Dia...Betty June 21, 2011 at 9:47 am | | Reply

Sounds fascinating. As a UK-based PWD with only MDI at my disposal this sounds like a really interesting concept, and good to see something which can be used by pumpers and non-pumpers alike. DMBooks!

9. Lauren
    Lauren June 21, 2011 at 10:36 am | | Reply

DMBOOKS

This looks so interesting!! I am a pumper and I”d love to read it!

10. Julie Burns
    Julie Burns June 21, 2011 at 11:40 am | | Reply

DMBooks! Trying to fathom the big picture and all the parts. Gracias for your continuous additions to my knowlege bank. Still working on lowering my A1C. Diagnosed with type 1 in 2005 at age 53.

11. Carolyn
    Carolyn June 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

DMBOOKS! Sounds like a good in-depth read.

12. Hans
    Hans June 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm | | Reply

[quote]“Functional Insulin Treatment,” designed by Dr. Kinga Howorka and his team in Vienna, Austria.[/quote]
    Correction:
    She and her team, and she developed fit in the 1980ies ;-)

13. Laura
    Laura June 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | | Reply

My husband is Type 1 and we were fortunate enough to go through FIT training by Kinga and HER team in Vienna Austria in the late 1990′s, along with a group of about 14 other patients from the US. Before it was vogue in the US Dr. Howorka trained patients to be empowered members of their own health care team and to use all available information to control their diabetes. The subtle tools that are part of FIT are priceless and we witnessed many patients, including my husband, who were liberated from restrictive insulin and food regimens of the past. Practicing FIT has been a major reason why my husband has lived with Type 1 for 27 years without complications and without depriving himself of participating fully in life. Kinga Howorka is a pioneer in diabetes self management and in understanding the concept of patient centered care. DM Books!

14. Maelyse
    Maelyse June 21, 2011 at 5:37 pm | | Reply

DMBooks! This would be a great read for our family. My 42 year old husband was just diagnosed with Type 1 last Wednesday. This is on the slightly delayed heels of our 11 year old son’s diagnoses in July 2009…yes we are doing things somewhat backward…They are the only 2 Type 1′s on either side of our family tree to our knowledge…

15. Jennifer Stipetic
    Jennifer Stipetic June 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

DM Books

Sounds like an interesting read, always looking for any information to help control type 1 diabetes better.

16. Auntly H
    Auntly H June 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm | | Reply

A bit daunting, but I’m intrigued by this offering of DMBooks

17. Nina
    Nina June 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm | | Reply

DMBooks Looks interesting. I would love to read a copy.

18. caron
    caron June 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm | | Reply

this looks like it could be super useful- DMBooks!

19. Flo
    Flo June 22, 2011 at 2:25 am | | Reply

Sounds like it would be a very helpful book to have in your library. DM Books.

20. yousif devlin
    yousif devlin June 22, 2011 at 4:19 am | | Reply

I am really interested in this book too. Seems to have a lot of useful information.

21. Marie
    Marie June 22, 2011 at 8:17 am | | Reply

DMBooks. Definitely looks interesting.

22. Laura
    Laura June 22, 2011 at 11:48 am | | Reply

DMBooks Looks very interesting for helping me with type 1

23. peruvianpasohi
    peruvianpasohi June 23, 2011 at 11:56 am | | Reply

DMBooks; I love to read the book first, then but for a continued reference, if is seems helpful.

24. Yousif
    Yousif June 24, 2011 at 3:07 am | | Reply

I was pretty sure I added DMBooks in my comment above!

25. jodee
    jodee June 24, 2011 at 4:33 am | | Reply

Really sounds like a quantum leap to anything out there…I am just realizing after almost four years of managing my son’s diabetes how much I still don’t know!

26. Jess
    Jess June 24, 2011 at 9:20 am | | Reply

DMBooks Looks interesting!

27. Jose
    Jose June 26, 2011 at 4:22 am | | Reply

I´m an insulin dependent for a little while, let’s say, fifthy (50!!!) years.
    Yes, He must have lost my file once I’m still very alive.
    For severl years i’ve being using the several daily shots (4-6) to cntrol the blood sugar. Tonight I,ve took the same before sleep shot and heaten the usual milk and salt and water cookies and unexpectally it occurs a huge hipo without a reason. with this intense treatment may arms, legs and baley began to have no places untouched. could be the case that the night shot reached a “virgin” leg spot? it will be possible that my musclus are preventing the insukin to reach the rest of the body? i never repeat a shot on the same spots, lest’s say weeakly. Thnaks in advance for yr coments.