1. steve
    steve June 1, 2011 at 7:37 am | | Reply

Gross! It’s a portal for infection.

2. Scott S
    Scott S June 1, 2011 at 8:16 am | | Reply

An interesting thing about Diaport: users can dump analogues in favor of cheap, regular insulin because it’s delivered directly to the portal vein, so it (regular insulin) works in minutes vs. hours for the fastest analogue today — kind of like the body works before type 1 diabetes is diagnosed.

3. Lesley
    Lesley June 1, 2011 at 10:10 am | | Reply

I am that Lesley Jordan! Thank you for showing my belly – please be assured that the scar is much paler now.

I have been using the DiaPort since December 2004 (I’m now on my second one). I am eagerly awaiting the next generation, which should be available in Europe in 2012, because my omentum keeps overgrowing the internal tube and blocking it. I have had a few laparoscopies under general anaesthetic over the years to clear it but this is a complication of the current DiaPort. The new one will be made of different materials which, among other things, makes it softer and less likely to trigger the omentum to section it off.

My subcut sites are ok for occasional use, but it seems to take forever for a site to recover and that includes about a hand-span around it, so continuous use of subcut delivery is not practical.

I’m looking forward to the new one and when it comes, would recommend it to anyone who has difficulty with subcut absorption.

4. Lesley
    Lesley June 1, 2011 at 10:11 am | | Reply

Forgot to say, in 6 years of DiaPort use, I’ve had only one infection.

5. David
    David June 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm | | Reply

Lesley, thank you for chiming in. Seems promising, if not yet ready for prime time.

6. Reyna
    Reyna June 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm | | Reply

WOW! This was a very interesting article. Thanks D’Mine for posting. I was thinking “INFECTION” at first too. Good to know that is not the case.

7. johanelmander457
    johanelmander457 June 2, 2011 at 1:42 am | | Reply

Hi

I read this post 2 times. It is very useful.

Best regards
    Jonathan.

8. kim
    kim June 7, 2011 at 7:47 am | | Reply

This is a very interesting article. I had never heard of the DiaPort. I had heard of the IPort, and did consider that at one time. I have since started on the pump, and am quite happy with it. For people like Lesley, this does seem like a fantastic life saver! And Lesley, your tummy looks fine!