1. Marian Swift
    Marian Swift June 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm | | Reply

My Type 2 diabetes was only diagnosed this April, but I’ve been post-menopausal since 2007.

Based on symptoms alone, I believe I may have developed diabetes at exactly the same time I started menopause.

Many of the complications are identical. It wasn’t pretty. But now I may have some inkling about why the process was SO tough.

Thank you for this article!

2. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera June 24, 2011 at 12:27 am | | Reply

I went through a pretty easy menopause, but one thing I will corroborate is the need to test for low BGs — I really couldn’t tell the difference between a hot flash and a low BG. Thank goodness for home BG meters!! Even the old wait and wipe and wait some more ones were better than just not knowing! :-)

3. Kristen Krahmer
    Kristen Krahmer June 24, 2011 at 10:33 am | | Reply

I am going through the transition with type 1. yes it does affect my blood sugars-low when I sweat and very uncomfortable. I get my period about every other month and I bleed enough to make up for the month I don’t have it. I get cramps so bad I can hardly function at times. for the most part I am higher when I have it.
    Nice to know this won’t last forever, but it is also great to know that what I am experiencing isn’t just me!!

4. Amberen
    Amberen July 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | | Reply

Thank you for this helpful post! Not many people are aware of the additional moodiness and symptoms when you have diabetes while going through menopause.

1. Jean Abel
      Jean Abel February 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

I am glad I found this site. I am just going thru the change now. I really don’t like it. I am moody,crabby, and emotional and having trouble sleeping with the hot flashes. I am glad also that I am not the only one. For a couple of days I thought I was crazy. I am also glad to know that I need to check my bg more frequently. Thank you.

5. Anita Rooks
    Anita Rooks August 10, 2011 at 4:46 am | | Reply

I have been diabeic since 1998, My numbers were always well control with oral medication. In 2009, my husband of 25 years wanted a divorce and early 2010 I lost both of my parents. I haven’t had a full nights sleep in about 2 years. My numbers are through the roof and I can’t seem to get them controlled. I also have a desire to eat late at night when I wake up. Tghis has been a nightmare and I could use some advice.

6. Cindy
    Cindy August 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm | | Reply

Ladies, thank you all! At least I’m not alone in this. Hypo-glycemic since childhood; Diagnosed March 2011 as pre-diabetic; managing it with diet, lost 30lbs so far with 30lbs to go. Menopause started 2009, but hot flashes & night sweats REALLY kicked in in the last few months.

Anita, prayers are with you. My Family Nurse Practitioner and my Nutritionist (both female) have been my saving grace. Both are very good listeners and teachers. Nutritionist suggested to drink warm milk when I wake in the night; helps melatonin. Works most of the time. If I find something else I’ll type again.

Best wishes to all!

7. Donna Robertson
    Donna Robertson March 15, 2012 at 4:14 am | | Reply

Thank goodness I have found this site as I honestly thought I was going quite mad.

I live In Norway and in November 2010 was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I only went along to the new doctor for a smear test but she decided to take bloods as I was a new patient. My blood glucose levels were high and she asked me back for a fasting blood test which still revealed higher than normal blood glucose levels. A point of itnerest was, at the time, I was age 51 and hadn’t had a period for 4 months and presumed I was heading for menopause. I was put on 2 x 500 Metformin immediately and by the following March, my periods had resumed. By May, the doctor was so impressed with my Hba1c of 6.2% that he suggested I reduce the Metformin dose to 1 x 500mg per day. Interestingly, my periods started becoming erratic and by October had stopped. In December the doctor told me to come off the Metformin which I did and since then, by blood glucose levels have been very high.

Could Metformin control our hormones? As it is given to non diabetic women with POCS, it does make me wonder?

Unfortunately, I am back to the very same symptoms I had before diagnosis, weepiness, night sweats, cold feet, daytime hot flashes etc.

I have been following a healthy diet, low carbing and trying to take as much exercise as possible.

What do you think?

8. Donna Robertson
    Donna Robertson March 15, 2012 at 4:27 am | | Reply

Did you get my previous post?

9. Donna Robertson
    Donna Robertson March 15, 2012 at 4:31 am | | Reply

How on earth do you control erratic blood glucose levels and hormone fluctuations when approaching menopause.

My periods had been absent for 4 months when first diagnosed. Is there a chance that my hormone levels were mimicking diabetes?

Donna

10. Foods to avoid when going through menopause | Sweet Additions

[...] Image Source: diabetesmine.com [...]

11. alternative-1st
    alternative-1st August 28, 2012 at 4:20 am | | Reply

I love reading this site. much information as I can here. I will be back again to mendafatkan other interesting info from you. txs

12. Kris R
    Kris R February 9, 2014 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

I am 48 years old, type 2 diabetic since 1997 and am peri-menopausal. I’ve had 1 or 2 periods over the last year but oddly enough, I have had a LOT of PMS symptoms – painful breasts, cravings, moody, crying at the drop of a hat. This past “cycle” I added a new, acute symptom….hypoglycemia. It’s very strange for me. I have NEVER been able to find a olution to high morning sugar levels (175-250+ mg/dl). I have not changed my eating habits, or my insulin levels (I use a combination of Novolin N and Novolin R). But several days in a row I have experienced BG levels in the 60-70 range. It’s been so difficult to predict how much insulin to take I have kept a bottle of juice next to me at night. I’ve cut my insulin dosage by more than half and still am able to wake up with low to normal levels. Looking into other reasons for the hypoglycemia, I’m seeing a lot of anecdotal evidence that it is menopause related. Hope this post can help someone else struggling with this issue.