1. Sysy
    Sysy June 11, 2011 at 9:54 am | | Reply

I have some info to add to the Vitamin D discussion:

Watch out for sunscreen-it’s as bad as or worse than those fake tanning lotions due to the chemicals in them-including some carcinogens that certain brands carry.

Also, don’t shower right after your 10-15 minutes in the sun because your skin needs some time to develop the vitamin D and absorb it-if you bathe too quickly this reaction won’t occur and you won’t get all your vitamin D.

Another thing, get a blood test several months after you start supplementing with vitamin D (if you do) so that you know what your levels are-you don’t want to overdose.

If you are older you need more vitamin D than if you are younger. If you have a darker complexion you need more Vitamin D than someone with pale skin. For example black people are at very high risk for low Vitamin D because they require a lot more to maintain a healthy level and they don’t tend to lay out in the sun. Someone with very dark skin could very well need 30 minutes of sun a day.

When your skin turns light pink, your body has received enough. So for a pale person this could very well be 7-10 minutes and for a darker person it could mean 30 minutes. A healthy Vitamin D level protects against many types of cancer. Did you know more people who work indoors get skin cancer than those who work outdoors year round?

If possible, get vitamin D from the sun-it’s better absorbed by the body.

In the winter I take Cod Liver Oil which has vitamin D and healthy fats-it’s cheap and easy. I get blood tests done routinely and have discovered that I need a lot more vitamin D than your average person. I take 10,000 units a day and my blood tests show my vitamin D level is not too high or low. This will vary person to person and levels of Vitamin D in the body can increase faster for some people than for others-while taking the same amount of vitamin D each day. That’s why a blood test is a good idea-overdosing can be very dangerous.

I would definitely avoid tanning beds, tanning lotion, and be careful when selecting a sunscreen. I prefer gauzy long sleeves and big hats to sunscreen.

2. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog June 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | | Reply

Many hospitals will help you write a living will or advance directive at no cost to you. Before having surgery, the hospital we use offered me the opportunity to write one up to be kept on file…just in case.

Another important document that people should have on file with their hospital and medical practice they use is an “authorization to release medical information” so that family members can communicate with medical staff about their condition and treatment.

3. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera June 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm | | Reply

About comas:
    A friend of mine left her Type 2 husband at home and went on a trip. She called him every day to make sure he was OK, and he insisted he was. In fact, he got quite irritated with her for her daily calls. On a Friday, she called him, and he insisted he was OK. But on Sunday, when she arrived home at the airport he was not there to pick her up. So she called a friend to come get her, and when they got into the house, they found her husband lying face down on the bed, non-responsive. Of course, they rushed him to the hospital, and he lingered in the ICU for 3 weeks on dialysis before finally dying.
    Please don’t tell Type 2′s they can’t go into a coma — they can, and do. It may not be as common as DKA, but it shouldn’t just be brushed off. Type 2′s should be aware of the possibility and know the warning signs, as should their family members. And they should have a plan in case their BGs go up and they can’t get them down. This tragedy didn’t need to happen.

4. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera June 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm | | Reply

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the man’s blood sugar was 1400. It was definitely a diabetic coma and not a heart attack or anything else.

5. Reyna
    Reyna June 12, 2011 at 4:06 am | | Reply

Wil, as always, I found your “take” entertaining and infomative. Sysy had some good Vitamin D info as well. I had no clue on all that she wrote. Keep up the great work!

6. Ressy
    Ressy June 12, 2011 at 8:17 am | | Reply

I have to disagree on the tanning beds. I had a critical low vitamin D level, thank you statins, last year. My dh got me a tanning bed fitted with special lights. I used it all winter long and what a difference it made in my life. I did follow the instructions and used it for 15 minutes 3 times a week, never got sunburned and got my vitamin d level closer to normal!

Just another POV.

7. Sysy
    Sysy June 12, 2011 at 8:25 am | | Reply

Ressy, are you referring to the tanning beds that have been formulated to safety? I know there is such a thing-they just haven’t hit most areas yet. If you change a tanning bed ballast from magnetic to electronic, you make the tanning bed as healthy as the sun-provided you don’t ever burn. So if this is what you’re talking about, Ressy, then I totally agree with you!

8. Wil
    Wil June 12, 2011 at 8:38 am | | Reply

Natalie—siente mucho, I’m sorry your friend lost her husband. Of course, any type 2 who uses insulin, especially if they use the fast-acting kind, is at risk of a low seizure. That said, T2s seem more resistant to bad lows. Their liver’s seem to work better on that whole glucose loop thing.

On the top end, any T2 who runs high (typically in the 600-800 mg/dL range) for a long period can develop what is called glucose toxicity. Not always, but this generally takes a couple of months to happen. Basically the beta cells freak out and shut down, poisoned by the high levels of sugar. When that happens, they can go DKA. If the DKA is treated in time and the blood sugars are brought under 200 mg/dL, their beta cells will fire up again.

But, of course, you are right. I don’t want our type 2 readers to think they are coma-proof. At the same time, I didn’t want the young man living in fear of it either. He’s on orals and is well controlled. His personal risk is very low, but he should still have a living will.

But thanks for bringing this up, I was so focused on the living will that I understated the risks we all share.