1. Sysy
    Sysy June 27, 2011 at 10:04 am | | Reply

Thanks for the rundown! Although I’m not surprised by any of this. I have to say the calories in and out model is being seriously challenged:

I have to wonder…A decade ago I was more active than I am now, my thryroid function was higher and I ate the same number of calories that I eat now. Only now, I shun all processed foods which I used to eat plenty of and I weigh 35 pounds less. So personally, I’m not so sure I agree, especially with the term “stupid” being involved.

2. Amy
    Amy June 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm | | Reply

Fun rundown. Thx 4 the report.

3. Marianne
    Marianne June 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the rundown, I have enjoyed reading the news. However, I too, have to take exception to the “It’s Total Calories, Stupid!” segment.

Over the past few months, I’ve gradually increased my exercise to a minimum of 1.5 hours per day (a half hour or more each of gym, swimming and walking) on five days of the week with at least a half hour on each of the other two days. Hand in hand with that, I’ve decreased my calorie intake to 1200 or fewer calories per day and I’ve been struggling to lose weight – and I mean really struggling. All of the reading I’ve done leads me to believe that I should be losing a pound every three to four days and that definitely hasn’t been happening.

It’s enough to make a girl depressed – again! Especially when I read statements like ‘It’s Total Calories, Stupid!’.

1. AllisonB
      AllisonB June 27, 2011 at 11:10 pm | | Reply

Marianne: I’ve also been losing weight by increasing exercise and cutting calories, but what you’re doing is overboard. The combination of calorie restriction and exercise works, but only up to a point. If your total calorie intake a day is less than 1200, your body will eventually go into starvation mode. Your metabolism slows down and you will not lose weight. You can lose 1-2 lbs a week, but you don’t need to calorie restrict that severely. I have been using the website MyFitnessPal.com with great success. I lost 10 lbs in 3 months, and the community is really solid. I hope you check it out! Good luck!

4. A Glimpse of the Future – local Artificial Pancreas study | Luke's D Day

[...] are other intriguing trials going on with JDRF funding, including one using both glucagon and insulin. It’s not a cure, [...]

5. Marianne
    Marianne June 28, 2011 at 3:57 am | | Reply

Thanks Allison. Yes, I agree, it is extreme but I got there via a path of a half hour exercise three times a week, then four times a week then five times a week then I added walking to my trips to the gym at an increasing frequency until I got to an hour most days of the week and that still wasn’t working on a diet of about 1400-1500 calories. I finally added half an hour swimming to the mix and reduced my calorie intake until I’m now at my current regime. I’ve seen a couple of doctors and a dietician. The dietician suggested that I might have a Vitamin D deficiency so I’m investigating that at the moment. We’ve already checked out thyroid problems.

The point I was trying to make was that ‘fewer total calories (i.e. food) + more physical activity = weight loss’ is not always the case.

6. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay June 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

has there been any research on whether it is harder for people with t1 diabetes to lose weight? I would like to see a side-by-side study of pwd compared to p-without-d.

one thing that definitely makes it difficult is that insulin needs change with weight loss so if you don’t catch on right away, you end up eating back a lot of calories to treat hypos.

7. Bob Holman
    Bob Holman July 1, 2011 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Gary Taubes wrote a very compelling and well researched book concerning food, calories and nutrition – Why We Get Fat. It’s a must read for anyone struggling with Diabetes – he also wrote two long articles in the NY Times, one that summarizes the book and one on Sugar (more recent). Both articles are easily found in a Google search.

8. Karen Rose Tank
    Karen Rose Tank July 17, 2011 at 5:12 am | | Reply

I loved the whole article until I too got to the last one about weight loss. I am a type 1 who went back to school in nutrition to become a health and nutrition coach mainly for people with diabetes… both type 1 and type 2. Sensitivity to each person’s individual situation and body is critical. Yes the amount and type of food eaten as well as portion size is important… BUT… getting there is a whole different story. As David Kessler writes in his book “The End of Overeating,” humans have evolved to crave carbs highly caloric foods with carbs, fats, salt and sweetness… that kept us alive in times of famine. Well the sad joke is that we have been manipulated by food companies- like the Cinnabon- which sets off our cravings every where we turn in our “modern” society. Couple that with more sedentary life styles… and you have a recipe of weight gain.

We all need support to change our ingrained and emotional eating habits. It is easy to chalk it up to portion size, but in fact basing your food choices of protein, lots of veggies, healthy fats and fiber, keeps everyone’s blood sugar more stable and their tummies more satisfied… a necessary component for reducing and resisting those cravings. The more you reduce all those carbs in your diet… the easier it gets to reduce your cravings and reset your palate for fresh, whole foods.

PLUS, thin people often have no tolerance for those of us who struggle with our weight. Either they did not grow up with the emotional noose of food, or their bodies just have better functioning of the brain-gut- hunger- satiety connection. You CAN re-establish this but it takes time and support and LOVE! That is what I now do for a career… those of us with diabetes certainly need that support and LOVE! This is no easy disease to live with!

My website is http://www.RoseHealthCoaching.com if you want to know more about my approach.

I also run cooking support groups in the central NJ area to empower those of us who struggle HOW to cook and love eating low carb, healthy whole foods. http://www.TheSuppersPrograms.org... check out our message and approach… and recipes.

Karen Rose Tank, MS, Certified Health Coach, Type 1 for 15 years

9. Xander
    Xander August 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm | | Reply

In relation to the calorie matter, there is some evidence to suggest that a calorie “in” to one person can be metabolically different than a calorie “in” to another, due to a difference in processing calories upon food ingestion.
    Here is my best interpretation:
    (A) The body generates heat in response to the ingestion of food.
    (B) This increases the metabolism.
    (C) The body utilizes some stored fat to fuel the increased metabolism.
    It has been proposed* that insulin resistance and/or deficiency decreases (A), which results in [my words: it being easier to gain weight and harder to lose weight for a person with insulin resistance].
    So, you could have two people (consider age/sex/BMI/etc to be the same) who ingest equal amounts of calories and get the same level of physical activity yet experience different outcomes in terms of weight….because one is burning less calories than the other secondary to a physiological defect.
    There is more to “calories out” than physical activity. For individuals whose bodies are not addressing those other factors correctly, it will take more exercise compared to others in order to make up the difference so that they can achieve the same degree of weight loss.
    *Felig P: Insulin is the mediator of feecling-related thermogenesis: insulin resistance and/or deficiency results in a thermogenic defect which contributes to the pathogenesis of obesity. Clinical Physiology 4(4):267-273, August 1984
    (A reminder: While insulin resistance is commonly associated with type 2 diabetes, there will a subset of individuals with type 1 diabetes who have insulin resistance.)