1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 28, 2011 at 7:04 am | | Reply

Amy, I really think some subset of the DOC needs to engage with the FDA so we can provide them with the insight and expertise that they may be lacking. I would love to approach them about this – do you think it might produce any positive results? Have you ever considered interviewing someone from their medical devices division?

2. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog June 28, 2011 at 7:16 am | | Reply

One of the (many) reasons we like the OmniPod is that our daughter can wear it while swimming and bathing without disconnecting. That the Solo would have to be disconnected during exposure to water would be a drawback that we would possibly decide against. Any time you are disconnected means you aren’t getting insulin.

The first time I saw the CellNova I thought it was ridiculous because I would not want a patch AND tubing. Kind of defeats the purpose!

For us, I think we would be looking for a system that is an improvement on OmniPod’s design including a patch pump with NO tubing and a remote. A smaller profile (I.e., size of the pod), a PDM more like my iPhone and less like my 90′s PDA, CGM integration (we aren’t even considering a CGM until we can have one system for both), and Mac-compatibility to actually download data in a meaningful way are the features I am looking for.

Thanks for a recap on some of the devices you saw at ADA.

3. Hallie
    Hallie June 28, 2011 at 7:39 am | | Reply

Now I know what I want to be for Halloween! Haha! Thanks for the recap! Very interesting!

4. Ronnie Gregory
    Ronnie Gregory June 28, 2011 at 7:55 am | | Reply

Great Summary Amy. I think the gatchet’ s are getting sleeker and smaller which is a good thing, being a t2 the jannsen, theory of flushing the excess sugar through the kidney is kinda worry some for me, It would take some convincing, the kidneys of diabetics take a pounding as it is so adding more pressure to that might not be the way to go. safe or not….
    It was great meeting you by the way and keep up the great work you are doin

5. David
    David June 28, 2011 at 8:30 am | | Reply

Thanks for the tech report for all of us who couldn’t attend.

I will avoid being impolite and just say that the FDA has way too big an opinion of its mandate. I was hoping the Solo would appear and update its launch timeline. Cell Novo is at least 1-1/2 years away and Spring looks to follow after. The Jewel has dropped off the face of the earth. (!) And what’s going on with Abbott? It sure looks like they’ve given up on selling the Navigator in the US.

6. Jana
    Jana June 28, 2011 at 11:11 am | | Reply

I think maybe the primary market for the CellNovo would be current tubed-pump users. It appeals to me (I use an Animas Ping) and apparently to Allison as well. Most of the time I’m perfectly happy with my tubed pump, but I’d love the option to go patch when it’s convenient (i.e., when I have to wear a dress or other tubing-unfriendly clothing). It would be *really* appealing if it was easy to switch between long tubing and the super short tubing even while on the same infusion set and reservoir (if that were easy, I’d probably use the “patch” mode most days to keep the pump attached just while going running…I hate dealing with tubing in that situation).

The Spring Zone looks really interesting too. Too bad their website has no indication (at least that I could find) of when and where the U.S. product launch will be. I imagine only select cities at first, as these things always go?

7. Caroline
    Caroline June 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm | | Reply

I think I missed my calling as a highway test strip dancer. Thanks for all these product info updates–it’s amazing. I keep feeling like if I just hold out long enough they’ll release the wireless insulin pump. It will work like wifi, dammit. I’ll just absorb it when I’m around the insulin modem. =)

8. Judith Loebel
    Judith Loebel June 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm | | Reply

We are a HUGE voice if you count ALL of the people with Diabetes, friends, relatives and health care industry and workers. So why are we seemingly NOT able to get products to market that might HELP us? Is there a particular Congressperson concerned about this? I have read about a NON STICK type of BG test that only required you to have a hand and a certain type of light reader device. (Allegedly read the BG thru the web of the hand) Where IS this? Why do we all HAVE to start our day and ALL meals etc. with PAIN?

And who comes up with the “Tubeless pump WITH A TUBE” ideas anyways? Were THEY low that day? I don’t think I am asking for a miracle here but it does seem that there are many OTHER diseases that come with a “sexier” image—think Pink or Red ribbons—any one got a Ribbon for US???? Is it because we are perceived as having CAUSED this (regardless of which “Type” we are) ?????? Trying to explain the difference to the clueless is exhausting so lets just go with Diabetes as an illness here. I see other diseases with some sort of “Star” out there plugging away for research and we have—-um—well I think I heard that some one somewhere had diabetes—maybe? And yet I KNOW that there are people in the public eye—Justice Sotomayor, a Jonas “brother” — with this and surely SOMEONE of them might be persuaded to become the “Face” of diabetes. Just sayin’.

Thanks for bringing the conference to us at home and also bringing out the sad facts that we are still waiting for cures and equipment to help us live and be productive. And too many people even our doctors think we CANNOT be productive with this! Sad.

9. Kathy
    Kathy June 30, 2011 at 2:43 am | | Reply

I have given up on the FDA approving anything new for at least the next 10 years. I have not seen one new meter or pump come out at all in the last several years only slight improvements on the old. That in itself is good but the FDA is dragging its feet and for what reason.

10. Florian
    Florian June 30, 2011 at 10:10 am | | Reply

Good summary review Amy. I’m little disappointed that there was nothing new shown or reported on new types of rapid insulin analogs.

11. Siobhan
    Siobhan July 29, 2011 at 5:43 am | | Reply

The Roche Combo pump is not new technology; it has been available in the UK for years. I know that doesn’t help you folk across the pond, but don’t let them tell you it is ‘new’ – it isn’t! I have heard they are developing a replacement for it at the moment. The Expert machine is also available and used over here.

12. Lili
    Lili July 29, 2011 at 7:57 am | | Reply

Is the Roche pump like their current one, where those features (like bolus calculation) are ONLY available on the remote and not the pump?

13. Best of the ADA Scientific Sessions - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] Tenderich has great wrap-ups on new products and new research. I’ll wait here while you read it and come back. Great job, Amy [...]