1. ralph
    ralph May 4, 2011 at 7:10 am | | Reply

I feel they (Medtronic) are doing their best. Everyone is suspicious about whether progress in automation is with held in order to continue the flows of capital required to sustain most diabetics. If that were the true case of things I do not believe it could be hidden for ever. Let’s encourage and support the caring efforts of so many.

2. Lauren
    Lauren May 4, 2011 at 10:12 am | | Reply

Very interesting, thank you for posting the results! It’s such a tough question, and I wonder if this question was really a reality if the answers would be different…I think Medtronic is trying their best with the FDA and many other issues in their way. I think soon enough there will be a new technology that is gonna blow us all away!

3. Brent
    Brent May 4, 2011 at 10:16 am | | Reply

Here’s what I attempted to post as a comment to her blog (which they have not accepted yet):

Very disappointed in Dr. Kaufman’s response. There is absolutely no mention of the clear advantages of intraperitoneal insulin delivery. She says it would take years of additional development, and conveniently ignores the fact that the haven’t done any development on it in ten years. And finally, she pins the blame on the FDA, when Medtronic has made no effort to update the product (or even keep it in production) for the countries where it is approved.

Disappointed, but not at all surprised.

Brent

4. Wendy
    Wendy May 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm | | Reply

As one who actually uses a current generation of the pump they are trying to adapt. I will tell you my only response is HELL NO. I would never want one of these.

5. Anne
    Anne May 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm | | Reply

if the only advantage of the system is that it is in my body vs outside my body, then I would not use it. It seems the trade-offs for the new risks would not be worth it. If it works better somehow then perhaps I would consider it. How is the insulin absorption different with the implantable (if it is at all different)?

6. David
    David May 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm | | Reply

I totally believe this endeavor is a very expensive and complex. It makes sense that Medtronic has to simultaneously play the short-game of developing incremental products in the meantime. The economics don’t allow it any other way. Keep the dream alive!

@Anne, several people who have had pumps implanted report that they feel much better, day in, day out, I guess because insulin is delivered directly to the body’s blood stream and acts nearly like a normal pancreas with much better quality of life.

7. kathy
    kathy May 5, 2011 at 5:49 am | | Reply

Thanks for the consolidation of the results of this. Anything new like this elicits such interesting responses. I think this survey probably mirrors what the results of trials will be. It will help one population of patients, but not the whole group.

8. Megan
    Megan May 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm | | Reply

You ask what I’m feeling after reading this? I’m feeling like I’ll believe it when I see it. What happened to MySentry? What happened to the Comfort Sensor? What happened to the Patch pump? Millions of dollars of R&D down the tube, and we’re all using the same sensor and basically the same pump from years ago.

I read that MM just laid off a huge percentage of their diabetes division. I think they’re in completely disarray right now, and I’m not holding my breath for anything revolutionary from them for a long, long time. They simply can’t get any promised products to market. Period.

9. Bill Stiles
    Bill Stiles May 6, 2011 at 10:18 am | | Reply

I, for one, can’t wait. It should have a CGMS built in though. I have a defibrillator so I’m used to implantable devices. It may or may not come from Medtronic though. They do seem a little slow from the gate sometimes.

10. Melanie
    Melanie May 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

I think Medtronic is greedy and opportunistic. I don’t believe for a minute that a completely effective implantable insulin pump can not be developed.

11. Implanted Insulin Pump | Luke's D Day

[...] (5/5): Diabetes Mine has posted a lengthy response from Medtronic as to why they aren’t investing in implanted pump technology [...]

12. Elaine D.
    Elaine D. May 8, 2011 at 7:17 am | | Reply

I’m happy to read a response…it’s good to know Medtronics is listening. I hope Dr. Kaufman was truthful when stating there continues to be research in this area. I believe it would help many people live and feel much better than they do. Hundreds of people who wear the implantable pump state they feel 100 percent better receiving insulin directly to their liver as opposed to Sub-q.

13. terry
    terry May 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm | | Reply

What makes this technology worth continuing has nothing to do with whether it’s closed, opened, implantable or regular. It has to do with the fact that the insulin is delivered into the peritoneal cavity!! This allows the insulin to be delivered straight into the liver – the way it is with non-D people. This delivery of insulin into the peritoneal cavity is what makes the patients feel great!!! It’s why they experience very few lows!!! We need this technology to continue so that ways to deliver insulin into the PERITONEAL CAVITY is pursued!!

14. chris
    chris May 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm | | Reply

An artificial pump has never sounded appealing to me. A computer cannot do what the body does. The delivery of insulin into the peritoneal cavity allows the body to do what it normally does with insulin. It’s the way the bodies of people without diabetes work. This technology makes people feel so good they are willing to fly to France four times a year to keep it going! This technology must be the wave of the future for people with diabetes whether with Medtronic or any other company!!

15. June
    June May 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm | | Reply

Please continue exploring this technology! If Medtronic is looking in a different direction then another company must keep this technology alive!!! I will take my son to France if I have to – he deserves to feel the way these patients feel when they use this technology. Sub-Q insulin needs to be a thing of the past!!!!!!!!!

16. John
    John May 19, 2011 at 8:07 am | | Reply

They (Medtronic) should talk to Casio because they make watches that are way more powerful and much smaller than the pumps they are making. Far too often, science and its researchers get stuck thinking inside the box and can’t seem to think on the other side. There needs to be a paradigm shift in how they approach insulin delivery. Insulin delivery is still done sub-q some 89 years later. Why? Is it because they can’t make it work any other way? There are only a few realistic options? I suggested to Medtronic that they use the CGMS with an internal pump to create a closed loop system! Why would all of it need to be internal? Again, be creative and change the way you problem solve. Now you just need to solve for size and insulin type. If infection is an issue, why not deliver insulin into the stomach? Would it still be as effective as the liver?

17. John
    John May 25, 2011 at 4:14 pm | | Reply

I feel that this is a bunch of corporate double-speak. Their pump technology is starting to show its age, compared to some of the alternatives.. Medtronic is all about making the most profitable technology, not the most innovative, durable, and user-friendly devices.. Frankly I think they are scared of devices which come closer to being excellent maintence, more thorough of a solution (Note I did not say cure)…

18. Elaine D.
    Elaine D. May 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

I wrote a letter to Medtronic and I was very surprised one day to receive a phone call from a very nice woman from the company. She said my letter had been passed around in the company, which told me they did listen to my concerns this technology would stop. She assured me Medtronic is NOT halting their research and production on a better version of the implantable pump. In the past there have been a lot of people the pump did not work for that developed infections, etc. There is also the FDA hurdle, as the implantable pump requires a special type of insulin that is NOT FDA approved. The ultimate goal would be to have an implantable pump that wold work in conjunction with a CGM. Our voices are heard and we have to speak up for what we want. My son is only seven years old and was diagnosed 2 months ago. I am his voice and plan on fighting for him until he can fight for himself. I was very impressed that Medtronic responded to me, they DO care and do listen. Don’t be silent, respectfully voice your concerns and what you want!

19. Mindy
    Mindy May 31, 2011 at 4:04 pm | | Reply

I have had Diabetes over 20 years and heard doctors state for almost 20 years that France has the implantable pump and that the US refuses to allow FDA to inniate a possible pump for the US.

20. Pat Wolfarth
    Pat Wolfarth June 14, 2011 at 5:53 am | | Reply

I have had diabetes for over 30 years and would love to have the opportunity to try the implantable pump. I am a good canidate . Would I have the I am starting to pocket insulin and feel that the implantable pump would be a great option for better obsorbtion. Thank you

21. Ed Rose
    Ed Rose March 19, 2012 at 3:11 am | | Reply

I was in a previous implantable pump study many yrears ago. It was GREAT , until pfizer pulled the funding for the study and it was explanted. I would love to go back to one. I have been using a pump since 1980, when pumps were an experimental tool.
    Ed Rose

22. Ray Holland
    Ray Holland February 18, 2013 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

I am sure I am very late to this paerty, but I am a previous long term user of the implantable pump and since having it removed due to many of the constraints listed above I have had to use the “other” available insulin pumps. There is NO comparison between the implanted Medtronic pump and the more cumbersome & less reliable alternatives. The big factor missing in most discussions is the “quality of life” which with the implantable pump approached normalcy. Focus on the implantable pump more if you truly do want to help the current diabetic population live a more normal life.

23. Tiffany
    Tiffany June 25, 2013 at 9:26 pm | | Reply

My concern is something going seriously wrong with a device implanted in my body thats administering a drug that basically keeps me alive?!?!?! What were to happen if it malfunctioned, its not like you are able to remove it yourself and call 24/7 tech support. That is a scary thought to me. I love my animus pump and would love it even more to be hands free of button pushing and tubing but not at the cost of my life or falling into DKA which as most diabetics know really sucks.

24. Lisa
    Lisa November 21, 2013 at 10:09 am | | Reply

I was so shocked to find out about this. These were developed and put into use in people in 1992! Minimed would have continued to properly develop them, and we might all have them available. I think the biggest tragedy was the sale of Minimed to Medtronic. I would love to have an implantable pump, but not if the current Medtronic is responsible. I have had a Minmed (then Medtronic) external pump for over 13 years, and Minimed was a great company, but I am done with Medtronic. The quality control has been completely lacking for the past several years. And now to discover yet another story where Medtronic’s bottom line is more important than diabetic lives is yet another blow. It kills me how the research doctors can sit back with 32 years’ experience and say, “Oh, it’s better now.” Yes it is, and I am grateful for that, but it’s also a lot better for you if you are a researcher and not a patient. We haven’t had a real significant development since the 80s and 90s with the first pumps and home glucose monitoring. CGM is good but not accurate enough. What have they been doing the past twenty years? Just figuring out how to build in obsolescence so we have to buy more product and tinkering with the details, which we all have to manage personally anyway. Not that I don’t like the bells and whistles, but, c’mon.

25. Heatherann
    Heatherann July 11, 2014 at 4:17 am | | Reply

Currently there is NO FDA approved IMPLANTABLE INSULIN PUMP AVAILABLE for patient to purchase in the US. Also it is not WIDELY used anywhere else. This is misleading for people who skim articles. I had a lengthy discussion with an MRI tech yesterday as I tried to explain this fact to her. She absolutely would not listen or believe me. As a Certified Diabetes Educator, I keep abreast of all research and development. This is likely YEARS,if not decades, away and this should be stated more clearly at the beginning of this page for those with little health care knowledge.