1. Lorraine
    Lorraine May 25, 2011 at 9:26 am | | Reply

I am such a Simon fan!

Simon I enjoy your writing your tweeting, your knowledge sharing, your humor….I could go on and on.

Signed overtly mommish,
    Lorraine

2. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange May 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

Nice post, Simon!

3. Kelly Rawlings
    Kelly Rawlings May 27, 2011 at 6:43 am | | Reply

Hi, Simon. As always, it’s great to have your Aussie LADA #dsma-ing (Diabetes Social Media Advocacy), music-loving, vegemite-eating perspective on life with diabetes! For those who don’t already know, Simon also is the frontman for Blünt Lancet.

4. Sooz
    Sooz May 30, 2011 at 9:59 am | | Reply

Ah… count me in as an Aussie with LADA, a pump wearer, a DOC blogger (www.ladalife.com) and an occasional #bgnow tweeter, who is desperate for the appearance of the Dexcom 7+ here.

What I wouldn’t give right now for some fresh white bread, covered in cold butter and Vegemite! Yummm! (White bread missing from my pantry at the moment.)

We so have a good medical system in Australia with affordable insulin for everyone, but especially for those on low incomes (under $10 for several vials). We also have free access to Diabetes Educators, and the program that Simon described, which, as far as I know, is through Medicare. There are several chronic conditions that qualify for this program of allied therapies, not just diabetes.

The NDSS has been around for many years – I’ve been a member for as long as I can remember – and they administer supplies for diabetes, including test strips, pens and syringes (free), insulin pump supplies (subsidised for T1s) and more.

Almost everyone here has access to doctors who “bulk bill” (unless you’re in a small town and have no choice). This means no money changes hands and the doctor bills directly to Medicare – our public health organisation. Other doctors do charge but you can usually get about 75% of it back from Medicare. Although it has its failing, the failing of our system is not one of affordability.

We have some of the best fresh fruit and vegetables (even better at Farmer’s Markets) and lamb, the likes of which people in the USA have probably never tasted. We also have some the strangest and deadliest critters on the planet. But diabetes is diabetes – same old, same old. What I particularly appreciate is how the world is getting smaller and smaller, and the D-friends I have from the DOC, come from all over the planet. Learning and participating in a world-wide community is rather awesome!

How hilarious, one of the CAPTCHA words below for me is ‘dingo’ (an Australian wild dog) – now who organised that one?

5. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson May 30, 2011 at 10:52 am | | Reply

I too am a HUGE Simon fan! So excited to see his post here, and a great post it is!

6. Crystal
    Crystal May 30, 2011 at 11:20 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing Simon with us. :-)

I think Many are a fan of his.

7. Grant
    Grant June 1, 2011 at 12:56 am | | Reply

Hi Simon. I live in South Africa and can relate when you refer to a small Diabetes online community. The medical healthcare here is great though, if you are a member of a medical aid scheme. I’m not a diabetic as such, however, my 7 year old daughter is. She was diagnosed Type 1 at 20 months of age and is also currently on Novorapid. Great post. Thanks.

8. christyler157
    christyler157 October 31, 2013 at 1:09 am | | Reply

Great job Simon. I am a big fan of yours. It’s true that the online community present for Australia diabetes is a much smaller community as compare to US. I am too a diabetic and i feel that being living with diabetes is like an everyday struggle. Last year while i was travelling, my blood glucose level suddenly dropped too low. Just because i carried Card Assist, I got quick assistance.