1. Scott S
    Scott S May 31, 2011 at 7:08 am | | Reply

LOL! Bacon-flavored insulin strips! MonoSol Rx isn’t the only firm pursuing these; Biodel Inc. also has what they are tentatively referring to as VIAtab, which their website claims is “an oral formulation of insulin designed to be administered sublingually”. Unlike the thin-strips approach, VIAtab will likely be tablets of some sort, but it’s still very early in the development phase, having only completed Phase I studies thus far. The company believes the audience for this product is primarily type 2 patients, and could lead to “increased insulin usage by the currently underserved early-stage patients with Type 2 diabetes and create better long-term outcomes for this patient population”. The objective sounds realistic, but the dosage element seems less clear, and in that regard, MonoSol Rx seems to have a better plan on how to deal with varying dosages.

2. Roselady
    Roselady May 31, 2011 at 9:24 am | | Reply

Wow, I love this idea. Let’s hope it goes somewhere!

3. Jamie Na
    Jamie Na May 31, 2011 at 9:38 am | | Reply

I can perhaps see this working for those with T2 where insulin resistance is a factor. For those of us who take smaller and incremental doses, it might be more of a challenge, despite the reassurances. For example, how would one measure 4 units? 5 might be too much and risk a low, where half a strip (2.5) might not be enough. How easy would it be to lose the 1/5 of a strip left over, and perhaps I could end up with a container full of partial strips. I think that the need for precision would make this option not very attractive from a practical perspective.

4. kim
    kim May 31, 2011 at 11:30 am | | Reply

This sounds like a great idea. I hope they can determine a way to dose in tenths of units for those of us who are more insulin sensitive (i.e. 1:100 or so).

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell May 31, 2011 at 11:47 am | | Reply

I’d heard that the smell from insulin was deliberate so you could tell it was leaking in a pump. But I know that smell’s been around since way before pumps, I think it’s due to preservatives in the insulin. Bacon sounds like a much better alternative!

I assume they could also provide these PharmFilms in different strengths, which would solve @kims situation. I think kids and babies would need really small doses.

Best of luck getting FDA approval for this.

6. Val
    Val May 31, 2011 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Sounds like a great idea – but why not just bypass the strip and have a measured insulin-nanoparticle goop you squirt directly onto your gums?

7. katerina
    katerina May 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm | | Reply

Sounds like a great idea!

8. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay May 31, 2011 at 1:23 pm | | Reply

sounds really interesting. I hope they realize some people take 20-25 units of inuslin total per day!

9. katerina
    katerina May 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm | | Reply

I just checked their website and there is no mention of insulin in their pipeline strange.

10. AmyT
    AmyT May 31, 2011 at 4:10 pm | | Reply

@katerina – see this press clip, posted at the company’s site on May 13, 2011, detailing their oral insulin plans:

11. riva
    riva June 1, 2011 at 4:20 am | | Reply

I heard about this idea – transmitting insulin through the cheek – three years ago from an endo who works with the biotech company Genesis. Just a reminder that these ideas that are oh, so fun to imagine – are just that. They’re still on the drawing board, and if they do come to fruition, years and years away. However, I can’t imagine them solving the 1/2 unit need for a low carb lunch ;-)

12. Lynnette
    Lynnette June 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm | | Reply

So I sent a link to this to my dad, an RN/FNP who, in partial retirement, works for one of those quick-care units in a chain pharmacy. I called it “most interesting insulin delivery system I’ve seen so far” and added this parenthetical above it: (bacon commentary notwithstanding)

My dad, with his very-dry, sometimes-obscure sense of humor, zeroed in on the references to bacon and the stamp-size. He wrote back:

Brings to mind several questions:
    1. What are Jews, Moslems and vegetarians going to do?
    2. Did they pick “bacon” because the first insulin was “pork” based?
    3. Are they going to make a “forever stamp” to take care of insulin resistance?
    4. If you are eating on a cruise ship or overseas will it take more “postage”?

I wrote back, OMG, Dad, you are too funny. Maybe he will ask one of his grandkids what omg means.

13. AmyT
    AmyT June 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

OMG, Lynnette – you AND your dad are too funny!

Actually, I think Allison made up the bacon-flavored idea — personal preference — but keep in mind it would just be “flavor” anyway, so still kosher? ;)