1. Reyna
    Reyna May 28, 2011 at 5:17 pm | | Reply

I had no idea on the driving! Thanks for the heads up. AND…I am all about blood ketones. That is one hot issue for me. Great information Wil. Keep up the great work.

2. bobolink
    bobolink May 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

In IL, you need a drs note if you have any condition that might cause unconsiousness. It is good until you need to renew the license – lots of years. My 15 yr old just hit 7 for the first time and her dr was very happy to sign the form, in fact he said he would up to 8.5.

3. Haidee
    Haidee May 29, 2011 at 5:27 am | | Reply

For god’s sake! Just LIE, folks. This is a matter of LIVING with diabetes, not allowing restrictions to prevent you from doing so. Annoyed.

4. Denise
    Denise May 31, 2011 at 8:29 am | | Reply

I like the idea that if you are pulled over and having a low and the cops think you’re drunk, your license will let them know you need help. Or if you’re in an accident and stumble out of your car, you won’t just get locked up to get sober but will get medical attention. BUT, a drvier’s license is used for more than just driving–it’s your primary ID. So you want every single person you have to show your licence to to know your private medical info? When my 8 yr old gets there, I plan on taping the info on the back of her licence with my phone number.

5. AmyT
    AmyT May 31, 2011 at 9:35 am | | Reply

On safe driving for teens with diabetes — I just also read about Check B4U Drive mini-camp, a program to help PWD teens be safe behind the wheel:

6. Bob S
    Bob S May 31, 2011 at 11:16 am | | Reply

There are reasons for checking that box – number one is that if you are low and the police pull you over for whatever reason, they know that you are diabetic and not drunk. I’m living just fine with diabetes even though the state knows I have the disease.
    As a side note, keep in mind that in some states you can get hit with a DUI. Check before you put the key in.