1. June S.
    June S. May 10, 2011 at 6:10 am | | Reply

Allison,

That brought tears to my eyes – and I have no doubt that if the WWW can be accessed in heaven, Dr. Hansen is crying, too. Yes, good doctors are hard to find. I sent my endocrinologist a thank-you three years ago, to thank her for having been my caring endocrinologist for the past 20 years. She thanked me, and said that her eyes welled up with tears when she read it.

June S.

2. Vanessa
    Vanessa May 10, 2011 at 7:56 am | | Reply

Allison, OMG that was just beautiful. Straight from the heart!

3. Margery
    Margery May 10, 2011 at 8:50 am | | Reply

What a beautiful letter. Jim was a kind and generous soul. He is missed very much.

4. Amy R
    Amy R May 10, 2011 at 10:19 am | | Reply

This brought me to tears. My very first endo was a good one as well, and I hear his Scottish accent telling me, “There is no such thing as good or bad numbers,” every day. Thank you for writing this.

5. Lauren
    Lauren May 10, 2011 at 11:18 am | | Reply

This is a beautiful letter. He sounds like am amazing doctor, and I hope one day we are all as lucky to have such an amazing doctor and soul in our lives.

6. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins May 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

I’m sorry that there was a need to write this letter, in that one of the “good ones” was taken from this world. Sounds like a great guy who helped play a big part in your becoming so empowered and owning your diabetes. Very touching, Allison. And I have to give you props, too, for ending on that “high five” note with Banting -> Awesome! Thanks for writing and sharing this with us.

7. MariaCDE
    MariaCDE May 10, 2011 at 12:45 pm | | Reply

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing how this special man influenced your life in such a positive way!

8. k2
    k2 May 10, 2011 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

BEAUTIFUL.

9. ErinArg
    ErinArg May 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm | | Reply

I LOVE this letter.

10. colleen
    colleen May 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm | | Reply

Well, shoot – another kleenex.
    You are so fortunate to have had such a great endo beginning. I’m really glad you wrote about him and his way of working with you.

11. A Letter to Dr. Hansen – DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog - Diabetes

[...] here: A Letter to Dr. Hansen – DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog Tagged with: diabe • diabetes • doc • doctor • end • one-step [...]

12. Renee
    Renee May 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm | | Reply

I too had the good fortune to have known Jim through JDRF. You captured his spirit so well – a kind, caring, compassionate man who really could make anyone feel that things would be all right. Not many people can leave such an indelible mark on those whose lives they touched, but Jim Hansen surely did.

13. Karin
    Karin May 11, 2011 at 8:58 am | | Reply

Allison,
    I am the doctor who started here after Jim passed away, and I knew him as well during my fellowship. I think you captured his essence in your letter and he would be proud and honored that you did so. Wouldn’t he just LOVE the technology we have today? An IPAD would have been his dream come true!
    I can NEVER fill Jim’s shoes. He has set the bar high and gives me something to strive for when I see and treat my patients.
    Thanks so much for honoring him.
    I hope it is OK for me topost this in our clinic!
    Karin

14. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson May 21, 2011 at 3:32 pm | | Reply

Great letter Allison.

15. Kristen
    Kristen March 24, 2012 at 2:16 am | | Reply

Allison,
    Thank you for your beautiful letter. Dr. Jim Hansen was my father. I also miss him very much. I am so glad he made a difference in your life and how you feel about your ability to play an active and empowered role in managing your diabetes. It touches me that you took the time to write a letter about it, and I know it would mean a lot to him (I like to think he is still watching over all of us). I am so grateful that you have kept his memory alive.
    Best regards,