1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog April 19, 2011 at 7:17 am | | Reply

Of course there’s “overwhelming interest!”

Thank you for your explanation of this Wil, I knew that you folks over at The ‘Mine would provide us sleepless parents with the background information about this *dreamy* product.

I think what many of us would settle for is a CGMS that would transmit an alarm to parents to get up and go test our little ones if they went above or below a certain threshold.

Some parents are attempting this by using a baby monitor which is not reliable. If the child rolls over onto the CGMS or it is buried beneath covers, the alarm often cannot be heard.

I knew this product wasn’t real or even on the horizon based on the concept that it could check glucose levels without a finger prick, but transmitting from a CGMS to an alarm clock type device is something that no doubt could be developed…getting it past the FDA might be the issue.

Us d-rents will continue dreaming about the possibility of sleep filled nights.

2. lora
    lora April 19, 2011 at 7:42 am | | Reply

If only dexcom could make this work with its sensor????

3. Bob
    Bob April 19, 2011 at 8:36 am | | Reply

How disappointing to find out this is not a reality. Thanks for exposing the myth, but maybe someday…..

4. Lauren
    Lauren April 19, 2011 at 10:02 am | | Reply

This would be amazing! Not even just for parents, but for my roommate! It would be awesome to just leave it in the living room just in case she wants to make sure I am OK before she leaves etc.

5. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay April 19, 2011 at 10:34 am | | Reply

It cannot be overstated how valuable it would be to the diabetic community if CGM makers transmitted the signal in a way that could be captured by other devices. This is not only a dream for parents.

6. AmyT
    AmyT April 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

Hi All – a couple of years ago at the ADA Conference, Medtronic was also showing an alarm-clock type device that would receive CGMS results at parents’ (or caregivers’) bedside. It was also under development, and didn’t look nearly as sexy as this thing. I’ve been wondering what happened to that…? (the company’s not talking)

7. Meri
    Meri April 19, 2011 at 8:09 pm | | Reply

ummm…there IS overwhelming interest. Somthing like this would seriously change lives.

sigh. I knew all along it was a concept. But hot damn…I want one! And so does EVERY mother and father with a child who has diabetes. (And husbands, and wives, and roomates, and girlfriends, and boyfriends, and Grandmas and Grandpas and almost everyone affected by T1.)

Build it…and the customers will come!

8. Cindy
    Cindy April 19, 2011 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

Oh, if only it were true! Seriously, the people responsible for coming up with this concept need to follow it through. They have no idea how well-received and sought-after this product would be! Type 1 diabetes is on the rise and children are being diagnosed younger and younger. I know in our household, I’m up at least twice a night, checking my nearly-4-year-old daughter’s blood glucose and making sure she’s okay. I don’t even bother to hope for a full-night of sleep anymore!

9. Lynette
    Lynette April 19, 2011 at 8:34 pm | | Reply

I don’t know whether to smile out of sheer joy at the possibility or cry out of pure disappointment. If this could exist……I would be overjoyed.

10. Laura
    Laura April 19, 2011 at 8:37 pm | | Reply

Ditto what Meri said – - – I think we all knew it was a concept — it just happens to be a concept we would really love to make a reality.

I think the CGM companies should work on something like this – - – the navigator gets great range — would SO love to see the bg #s in my room for my sleeping T1. That 3a check is killer!!

Thanks, Wil for the background on the prototype.

11. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell April 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | | Reply

It amazes me that the CGM folks didn’t build in a facility like this. Clearly parents of kids with T1 want to monitor blood glucose levels remotely. What’s the use in having a continuous reading if you have to visit your kids room to see what it is. I know that initially CGM wasn’t approved for use in children, but it was going to happen so this should have been built-in from the start.

I do hope that the next generation of devices tries to consider all the ways in which their gizmos will be used before going to the FDA.

12. Jeremy
    Jeremy April 23, 2011 at 8:39 am | | Reply

Just submitted our design which seems to accomplish the same goal by a different means. We built and use the prototype every day. We love it and it has changed our lives.

13. Hayley Collingwood