1. riva
    riva April 7, 2011 at 6:26 am | | Reply

Well done Jamie, you got my attention. I have an American friend who’s been living in Vancouver for 20 years working as a nurse at a hospital. She also has type 2 diabetes. She says the big problem with the Canadian health care system is the time lag waiting for appointments for any type of doctor or procedure. I’m curious – is there an active LC-DOC? Loonie Canadian Diabetes Online Community? riva

2. Scully
    Scully April 7, 2011 at 7:20 am | | Reply

WOW. I am proudly Canadian and this post sums it up OH SO nicely. Thank you so much for putting that out there.

I’d also like to add that without health benefits through employment there is nothing. I have had no health benefits for 15 months so NOTHING tangible is covered. Strips, Insulin, medications etc. As well, there is virtually NO insurance company that will insure me privately because of my diabetes.

I am going to share this post, It was really awesome! EH!!!!

3. Anke Tröder
    Anke Tröder April 7, 2011 at 8:08 am | | Reply

»Courage, my friends; ‘tis not too late to build a better world.«

What a great quote. Thx for your insight. The more I learn about diabetes around the world, the more I am shocked to see how many levels of survival there are, and that quite simply being able to afford your disease, gives you much better chances.

If I owe one thing to diabetes: It has made me a much more humble person.

4. Que es el acne
    Que es el acne April 7, 2011 at 8:27 am | | Reply

I have a friend who suffers from diabetes he says the big problem with the Canadian health system is the lag time waiting for quotes for any type of physician or procedure. Well you can do is to wait it best and congratulations on your achievement.

5. Jeff
    Jeff April 7, 2011 at 9:44 am | | Reply

It’s really great getting the perspective of people living outside the U.S. Thanks, Jamie and DiabetesMine!

6. Pearlsa
    Pearlsa April 7, 2011 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Another, proud Canadian here; this is a very insightful post.

“Canadians tend to let the system drive the bus.” This statement is very True and the root of the issue. Personally my experiences have differed. I had a family doctor within a month of moving from Washington DC to Vancouver and meet with an endocrinologist that same month. My mom also went from mammography to seeing a doctor at the BC Cancer Agency in a week.

I guess moving from the USA a little bit of the “American advocate for you” had been inherited. I did not let the system drive the bus I worked really, really hard on coordinating health care both for myself and my mom.

7. Trev
    Trev April 7, 2011 at 10:59 am | | Reply

Nicely summarized take on our health care system. I am orignally from ontario, moved to Alberta 7 yrs ago, and in the interim have had two of my 5 kids diagnosed with Type one, I am payin out of pocket for two pumps, but have coverage for sets thru the job perks you mentioned above. I have written to the Alberta Minister of Health, and get a letter back, telling me much better Alberta is compared to other provinces, I cause that depends on your diagnoses. I eagerly awaiting change, and am pretty vocal about getting better universal coverage for all Canadians. Time will tell I guess.
    Cheers to the great post!!

8. Sam
    Sam April 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm | | Reply

Great post! All you folks who are unfortunately mistaken about “free” healthcare, aka ObamaCare need to really take a good read on this. And then read it again.

Government run healthcare has never, is not now, and will never, ever come close to a free market driven system.

Ours is far from perfect of course, and needs to change. But read this post closely. As a type 1 diabetic for 34 years, and a healthcare provider who has worked in the US Veterans Administration system, I am so scared about this not because of what all the politicians say, but because I’ve seen it up close.

The people that work in government healthcare are great, wonderful, altruistic, intelligent providers in large part. However, as the author writes, the “bureaucrazy” is always there and inevitably significantly and negatively effects the care you recieve. Service is HORRIBLE. Those of you who think it is bad now, you can’t imagine.

Please think more about this and what you need to be healthy. Everyone always says Canada has it, we should too, etc etc. They are ALL subpar to the US Healthcare system. The rediculous bureaucracy is already here and it is rough and yes, there are many who go without. But it would just bring down the standard so many many more would go without and those who did get care would get worse care. Let’s hope and pray we can keep the “bureaucrazy” out of the United States of America!!!!

9. Jamie Na
    Jamie Na April 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm | | Reply

Wow! Thanks for the great comments – & lol re the LC DOC comment, Riva! We should form a ‘special’ chapter of the DOC, with a loon mascot!

Perhaps I didn’t say it in the post, but what I do really appreciate is that at least everyone gets health care here – even if sometimes slow or inadequate, and sometimes annoying. There are indeed problems, and sometimes we can’t get what we want, or when we want it, but it’s available for everyone.

10. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm | | Reply

Great post Jamie – thank you!

11. Sara My
    Sara My April 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm | | Reply

Sam, I wonder if you are actually from an insurance company because they have spent millions to scare us away from universal health care. I am fortunate to have health insurance but have to wait four months to get to my endo, so I’m used to that hassle. I had to fight like crazy to get my pump, adequate number of blood check strips. etc. etc. With 47 years living with type 1 diabetes, always with health insurance, I have had plenty of fights with the insurance companies – and I am so sad for those who don’t have insurance. We have left those unemployed, underemployed in the gutter. Universal health care is the only moral answer and is much more important than lining the pockets of the insurance company executives and shareholder and the politicians who get lots of bucks from the insurance companies. At least with universal health care, everyone could share in the burden as well as get some sort of care. Right now, if you are seriously ill you get banged terribly with co-payments and, in NYS, a 9.73% surcharge of medical bills – so you’re only taxed if you are sick. this is disgusting.

12. Jamie Na
    Jamie Na April 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

An interesting point about advocating for yourself. When my husband moved to Canada, he has noticed that Canadians seem almost shocked when he calls to address something akin to advocacy. He is no stranger to advocating for himself and others (he had a disabled son) and is no stranger to bureaucracy on both sides of the border. He has been amazed at the Canadians’ love of writing a ‘strongly worded letter’ and believing that it alone is enough to make change happen (although I say it’s not a bad start!).