1. Penny
    Penny April 11, 2011 at 6:09 am | | Reply

Great review Amy, thank you! Its exciting, these innovations and breakthroughs and people actually considering HOW people wear their pumps, use their technology and want to live their lives. I think this presents some great stuff for T1 kids who are managed by their parents. Thanks for a great and thorough review of it!

2. David
    David April 11, 2011 at 8:06 am | | Reply

Hopefully it will make it to our side of the pond, thank you. Pumps have delivery inaccuracy of +/- 20%? At least I can appreciate the accuracy and reliability of MDI for now!

3. A.
    A. April 11, 2011 at 9:26 am | | Reply

Love it!

4. Kimberly
    Kimberly April 11, 2011 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Hopefully it will make it through…looks pretty cool!

5. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay April 11, 2011 at 11:00 am | | Reply

thanks allison! looks very interesting.

6. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog April 11, 2011 at 11:29 am | | Reply

Love the idea of being able to see my daughter’s BG’s while she’s at school. (Hmmm, wasn’t that the entire point of my Diabetes Mine Challenge entry last year? Getting a text message when she checks her blood sugar.)

But here’s my question: What is the insertion like? Since there is a small amount of tubing and what looks like an insertion set, insertion might be a multi-step process.

One of the key features of the OmniPod is the super easy insertion. There is no huge device that I have to use to insert it on my child. I don’t have to worry about the angle of insertion. And she NEVER sees a needle.

We also participate in the EcoPod program to recycle our used pods and the plastic that each pod comes in goes into the recycling. We fill up sharps containers at a dramatically slower rate now because we use 1 syringe every three days instead of 12+. I think our waste is much less on the pump than on MDI.

To David above: I really have to wonder how accurate drawing up insulin in a syringe is by comparison. When my child was getting a half unit at a time it could have been off by way more than 20% just because it’s pretty impossible to give just half a unit! I wonder if there are any studies on the accuracy of dosing with a syringe or with pens. Seems like there is a lot more user error with MDI than with a pump even if it can be off by as much as 20%.

Thanks, Amy, for the very informative post!

7. Auntly H
    Auntly H April 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm | | Reply

What’s so magic about +/- 20%? Every device seems to be allowed that. No wonder we get so frustrated by things not working the way we expect them to!

8. Lynn
    Lynn April 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm | | Reply

Question: Doesnt this pump have less flexibility as far as basals go or something?
    I seem to remember some new pump coming out which is more geared to type II? I thought this was it?

9. Lynn
    Lynn April 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm | | Reply

Never mind….it’s the Valeritas pump I am thinking of.

10. Ald
    Ald April 15, 2011 at 9:31 pm | | Reply

Hopefully i will make it its looking cool.
    Thank you for post.

11. Vee
    Vee April 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm | | Reply

WOW! I’ve been following Cellnovo for some time and was crossing my fingers, hoping they find people who would fund this idea. I’ve been a Type I Diabetic for over 25 years and dreamed of a day where life would be simple and convenient trying to take care of my Diabetes. If this is as great as Amy said, I hope and pray it’s allowed to come to the US and that insurance companies will cover this product. I’m so excited and thank you so much Allison for this thorough review!!

Keeping all toes, fingers, and eyes crossed!! :)

12. jo
    jo May 10, 2011 at 4:14 pm | | Reply

I’m extremely interested in this innovative idea. How can I learn more about it ? ie: when and where can I purchase it ? how much will it cost ? My 16 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 18months old and his diabetes management is a constant battle at the moment (rebellious teen years).
    I worry for him and his future health. Any device that will help my son manage his diabetes and live a relatively normal life gets the thumbs up from me.

13. 49ers Jersey
    49ers Jersey August 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

Their point is that the Cellnovo will not have that same error rate, and will be the most accurate when dosing insulin.

14. Angela
    Angela June 10, 2012 at 2:34 am | | Reply

I saw the new cellnovo pump at a recent ‘Input’ display at Chester. Its tiny compared to other pumps! What impressed me was the versatility of wearing it. It can be stuck next to the canula insertion sight using a small velcro patch and a very short tube – or they are also developing a longer tube so it can be worn elsewhere on the body depending on the clothing worn. This is something that other patch pumps can’t do. Other patch pumps are in position for the 3 days (to me -like a growth on your arm or stomach!), whereas only the canula has to remain in position with a cellnovo pump! I was very impressed! The technology looks good too and I can see that for parents it would be fantastic. It was the pump itself that sold it to me though. I’m hoping they are available when I renew in November.

15. Debbie Marshall
    Debbie Marshall June 20, 2012 at 12:36 am | | Reply

After using 3 different pumps(trying 2 of them twice!) and having Type 1 for 50 years! (yes,it’s unbelievable) I look forward to the next best pump! (especially one with a plug-in and patch pump and touch screen and a CGM and meter with it,,,,,it’s been a very long haul but I’m really waiting for the blood testing to be through a breathalizer-type device…Love to read bout the newest stuff..too bad most of it is all in Europe!

16. Joe
    Joe July 26, 2013 at 8:05 am | | Reply

Lovely

17. Maegan Miller
    Maegan Miller October 25, 2013 at 8:17 am | | Reply

I have been a diabetic for 20 years and I hate pump therapy! The canula’s hurt and leave huge knots wherever I insert them. I hope the insertion system is different on this one cause I am willing to try as long as their system is a bit better.

18. Spencer
    Spencer March 27, 2014 at 6:39 pm | | Reply

The Cellnovo looks great. I am excited for its release in the U.S.