1. Vanessa
    Vanessa April 2, 2011 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Loved your advice to the teen and teen mom! I’m going to use that one for my son.

2. reyna
    reyna April 2, 2011 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

Ah…simply…you rock. I loved the bit on the mom and the endo…shit and the “hard on”…you are the best Wil! Simply the best. Real advice for real people. ‘nuf said.

3. Tony Rose
    Tony Rose April 4, 2011 at 7:56 am | | Reply

Julie – I had my very first doctor tell me the exact same thing when I was diagnosed 13 years ago. “You can eat anything you want so long as you take enough insulin to cover the carbs”.

His advice is right on in a perfect world. Yet we live in a very imperfect world. Yes, a T1 can eat whatever they want, but they shouldn’t. It is much easier to plan/bolus for carbs that are from nutritious foods compared to ones loaded with sugar. Trust me. I wish I’d never been told I can eat anything.

Having diabetes, I struggle with someone telling me I can’t eat this or can’t do that. I can do whatever I want. So my doctor’s advice was accurate and what I wanted to hear at the time. But, to his defense, he wasn’t an experienced Endo; he was just a Primary Care.

4. Stellasmom
    Stellasmom April 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm | | Reply

Awesome Advice! I am now officially a fan!

5. ED and Diabetes
    ED and Diabetes April 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm | | Reply

Excellent article Wil! For anyone looking for some sound and practical advice about coping with Diabetes, this article is it. I especially like the tie-in with Asimov.

6. Michigan Senior Home Healthcare
    Michigan Senior Home Healthcare April 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm | | Reply

Amy!! Great Blog…….It’s so hard to deal with diabetes in the first place and find the right doctor who really takes the time to educate their patients. Very good advice.