1. Marianne
    Marianne April 16, 2011 at 6:26 am | | Reply

Thanks for all the info Will. I’m enjoying reading the linked articles. Yep, you’re right, the dive community are seriously fit and ‘into’ their sports – and they always get a big surprise when they see me front up for snorkeling. But I just love to photograph and I’ve just about exhausted what I can do at aquariums so I’m a bit keen to give it a go.

Dive medical … here I come.

2. Monique
    Monique April 16, 2011 at 7:21 am | | Reply

Don’t forget the FRench ground-breaking work on overcome the ban on scuba diving for type 1s. To enable them to do this, they developed a ‘testing protocol’ which requires a type 1 to perform three blood glucose tests before their dive.

The work was very very exciting from a perspective like ours (I run a support group for people with type 1 to help encourage them to exercise) because it was the first type of guidance on exercise that required you to look at the direction your blood glucose was headed, rather than the normal guidelines which expect you to perform the one test in isolation, and make management decisions on that one test without knowing what direction your glucose is headed.

Unfortunately, the French dive protocol cannot be applied in surface sports because the numbers were very safe – ie, you couldn’t dive if you were below 160mg/dL.

But I digress…sorry!

cheers
    Monique

3. Roselady
    Roselady April 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm | | Reply

I’ve really enjoyed your new column. I’m a new d-mom, so I appreciate all this info. I actually have a follow-up question to last week’s column. Not sure if you know, but I thought I’d ask. We use Smarties because they are cheaper than glucose tabs. I thought they were pretty close to the same thing. Is that right?

4. Wil
    Wil April 17, 2011 at 8:43 am | | Reply

So I looked up Smarties, and they are actually “OK.”

It took some digging at the Smarties (America’s Favorite Candy! according to the folks that make them) website but did find what I was looking for in the end. Original Smarties are made basically of Dextrose, Red 40, Yellow 5, and Blue 2, and a few other things.

The real key here is that they are made of a sugar, not corn syrup.

I did miss-speak last week when I threw Dextrose in with all the other “tose” sugars. I guess my literally license carried away my intellect. Dextrose and Glucose are nearly identical and either can be used for low blood sugars. In fact, many emergency rooms use Dextrose (including the ER at the clinic where I work, much to my chagrin). The point I was making though, is to use the right kind of products, and most of us D-folks carry candy sweetened with corn–and that’s what I want people to get away from.

Is your new PWD a small person? The only thing that worries me about Smarties is that a whole roll only has six carbs, so you might have to eat three rolls. Smarties themselves don’t say, but the online consensus seems to be that each roll has 15 tabs. That means each Smartie candy only has 0.4 carbs. So there can be quite a bit of chomping involved in reversing a low. If the kiddo is small enough that you’d otherwise be using the “bits” of glucose, I think it’s probably OK.

5. Laura
    Laura April 17, 2011 at 7:54 pm | | Reply

I am really enjoying your column! Great addition to diabetes mine! :-)

This week, though, I’m not sure I agree with your advice to Max. I’m glad to see that you understand how personal our numbers are. (By the way, have you tried asking how much those health center workers weigh? Weight fluctuates and can make people feel bad or good depending on the day and it applies to both genders). And I also understand that Max’s wife is invested in his health because she loves him and wants him to be healthy.

On the other hand, his diabetes really isn’t her diabetes (any more than a husband is also pregnant). Max is clearly an adult who is checking his sugar and in the end it’s up to him to control his own condition. It’s his wife’s job to support him taking care of himself, but clearly he has not asked her to support him in this particular way which means she is invading his space without the right or permission to do so. (This is of course different for children or for adults who cannot for whatever reason care for themselves).

Unless she is willing to let him take a look every time she steps on the scale (after all, he loves her and wants her to be healthy, too), then she needs to let him take care of his numbers until he invites her to look at his machine.

6. Donna Lutz
    Donna Lutz April 18, 2011 at 4:54 am | | Reply

As the mother of the gal pictured related to the article on scuba diving, thanks for sharing her experience, she never ceases to amaze and inspire me as she travels this diagnosis. I regularly read her blog and follow the links she shares which helps me to travel this journey with her.

7. A disagreement « Beta Cell Fail
    A disagreement « Beta Cell Fail May 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

[...] 28 May So I was reading this post on one of my favorite blogs today, Diabetes Mine. The first question–by the man who is [...]

8. Marianne
    Marianne April 5, 2012 at 5:30 am | | Reply

Well, I’ve taken the plunge, had my medical, completed the theory, spent a few hours under water in a local swimming pool and I’m about to take the plunge – into the ocean. Twenty-four hours to go and I’ll be stepping off a boat and taking the plunge. I’m excited and terrified … and ever so pleased that I’ve taken the plunge.

Next, I take a camera down with me so that I can capture it all.

Thanks for the advice Wil.