1. Tony
    Tony April 23, 2011 at 10:41 am | | Reply

I couldn’t disagree more on the diabetes tattoo. I have 4 tattoos and not one is related to diabetes nor will I ever get one. What it all comes down to is I’m an optimist that still believes there will be a cure one day for us T1′s. When that cure does come, I don’t want a daily reminder of the part of my life when I lived with diabetes.

Others may say that it would be a badge of honor for something you overcame, but screw that. One day I hope to never think about blood sugars, lancets, meters, insulin, pumps or my pancreas that didn’t work back in the day. Just my opinion that I recognize others may not share.

2. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera April 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm | | Reply

I’d SO love to see a column about how to survive a hospital stay with diabetes. I was in the hospital last year, and while they DID save my life, I was miserable, because they ASSUMED I was Type 2, and wouldn’t give me insulin when my BG was in the 400′s and left me to sit for hours until the next meal, thinking that my BGs would come down by then. They wouldn’t consult my endo, but left me to the care of a hospitalist who didn’t know what the hell he was doing. Then, when I was no longer acute, they discharged me to a rehabilitation hospital/Alzheimer’s home, and I went through the same awful game again until I could corner the hospitalist and get him to give orders for a basal/bolus/correction regimen. Hospitalists are BAD for diabetics!

3. Sysy
    Sysy April 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm | | Reply

I’ve always strayed from the idea of tattoos because I get enough pain from needles as it is. I have never heard of anyone getting a medical tattoo…very interesting.

4. Barbara
    Barbara April 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm | | Reply

Thanks, Wil, for your input and photo of your tattoo. I have been thinking about this for several years. Please, everybody, post your photos!
    I hear the issues about the hospitals/hospitalists. I work in the outpatient diabetes clinic, but have a close relationship with the inpatient powers that be. We are trying very hard to stop this kind of situation: we’ve developed great policies/procedures, order sets and have a great team seeing those at-risk patients. However, there is still so much work to be done. The stories I hear are atrocious. And me? If I’m hospitalized, please God help me. Having an advocate present is a necessity. There are many doctors who won’t follow procedures, no matter what.

5. Meg
    Meg April 25, 2011 at 9:20 am | | Reply

Regarding diabetes care in the hospital, I have to put a plug in for the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. I had surgery and a week long stay there 2 years ago. I was dreading the diabetes part of the care, but I don’t think it could have been any better. For the first 24 hours, my blood sugar was checked hourly and the right adjustments were made according to an algorithm developed at the hospital. When I was feeling up to it, I was put back on my pump and I was in control of my insulin dosing. If anything, control was handed back to me a little too soon, but all in all a positive experience.

6. Scott S
    Scott S April 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm | | Reply

Wil, I would strongly suggest adding something to the tattoo response: consider having the tattoo done with removable ink. In essence, this kind of ink is removed with lasers up to 3 times faster than using standard tattoo ink. Why? Well, when a cure is available, chances are you’re not going to want the old tattoo, and the cost of removal, the time involved in doing so, as well as the cost will be greatly reduced if removable ink is used. One of the major providers of removable tattoo ink is InfinitInk http://www.infinitink.com. but there are others, too. A reputable tattoo artist can recommend a type of removable ink to use.