1. ralph
    ralph April 15, 2011 at 7:59 am | | Reply

Good read because I check my blood sugar twice a day, take two injections a day, exercise and eat carefully, counting nothing and that is that. No gizmos or data to enter, etc. I am doing OK and have been a type one for 60 years.

2. Erica
    Erica April 15, 2011 at 8:31 am | | Reply

I found this interview with Dr. Jackson to be refreshingly realistic. I have always thought that the insulin to carb ratio was a stinky way of bolusing for food and have made up my own dual wave boluses for protein and fat.
    I also think the cgm stinks, if it is not accurate.

3. Arielle
    Arielle April 15, 2011 at 8:56 am | | Reply

There are a lot of responses I could come up with to the above comment, but I’ll limit it to this one: If you only check your blood sugar twice a day, how do you know you’re “doing fine”?

4. Roselady
    Roselady April 15, 2011 at 9:45 am | | Reply

Enjoyed this perspective.

5. Sysy
    Sysy April 15, 2011 at 9:59 am | | Reply

I loved this interview. I’m a type 1 and have only been able to get an A1c between 4 and 5% by removing non necessary items that gave me extra variables for stress. As much as I appreciate the pump, it was one of these tools that stressed me out a lot. (This obviously varies from personality to personality)

I now use injections and eat pretty simple foods (usually not processed) and highly recognize the “law of small numbers” (look up Dr. Bernstein) and test often and find that staying around 100 is a lot easier than adding all of the other tasks involved in using a pump and apps and logging blood sugars.

Obviously one could argue that quality of life is diminished if for example, I don’t allow myself dessert or pizza. And I do on occasion but feel so much happier having optimal blood sugars most of the time so I choose that instead.

I totally respect other people doing whatever they need to be happy and healthy even if this means using a lot of gadgets and technology. I do however, encourage people to attempt more simplicity just to see if it works. I say this because I was very surprised to find it works so well for me and even saves me a lot of money.

I think most of us are looking forward to a more accurate CGMS. It sounds like heaven.

6. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay April 15, 2011 at 11:18 am | | Reply

Great interview although I would have to strongly disagree with the comment that people think the CGM has not made life easier. It may not be as accurate as we’d wish yet; but as it is, it is tremendously helpful and I am grateful to not have to test my blood sugar 10-15 times a day anymore. The accuracy, much of the time, is impressive in my opinion (especially when compared with the early versions). I use a Dexcom 7+.

I just checked my BG twice to calibrate my Dexcom: first test was 212, second test was 135… 3rd and 4th tests were closer to 220.

7. Eileen
    Eileen April 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

If Ralph has been a type 1 diabetic for 60 years and is in reasonably good health then he is indeed doing fine. The goal is a long and healthy life. The numbers we use are merely the tools.

8. M. Simon
    M. Simon April 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

It has been a long time. But I have some really interesting news. Nothing that is definitive but what looks to be a very promising avenue of research. At the bottom of this article:

Worms Schizophrenia

Oh. Yeah. The research ought to be cheap. An internet search and then a call to a Worm company. No kidding. Oh. Yeah. You might need a doctor. And some cash for the worms.

9. “Eat Smart” Delivers Free Diabetes Education « Diablo Clinical Research's Blog

[...] A Joslin Endo on Diabetes Technology: “Less Is More” (diabetesmine.com) [...]

10. Dan Fahey
    Dan Fahey April 22, 2011 at 7:49 am | | Reply

I couldn’t agree more with Dr Jackson. I’ve considered the use of a pump and/or a CGM, or a combination, but none seem to bring enough extra value to counter the additional complexity.

I’m a Type 1 for the past 45 years, and am able to consistently get A1c’s in the low 6′s, by taking insulin shots and testing a dozen times a day on average. So the gain from new technology doesn’t feel worth it to me.

I’d love an accurate a simpler CGM, since low blood sugars, particularly once asleep at night, are still worrisome.