1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell March 21, 2011 at 6:34 am | | Reply

Now that’s a real shame. There’s so much useful information online, including The Mine.

2. Sysy
    Sysy March 21, 2011 at 7:16 am | | Reply

I agree with Bernard that it’s a shame the book didn’t acknowledge such a huge resource comprised in the DOC. Plus, Even though I have had wonderful nurses on almost all occasions, I have dealt with them not knowing much about diabetes, not even knowing how to use the hospital insulin pen the hospital required them to use on me. I don’t blame them, I just don’t think they are trained to learn much about diabetes. So a book by this title would never ever get my attention, I’m afraid.

Thanks, Amy!

3. Jasmine
    Jasmine March 21, 2011 at 7:21 am | | Reply

Ummm, Diabetes Forecast is no journal. It’s a magazine! Big difference! And while I sometimes find interesting and useful information, I definitely don’t consider it one of the most useful or fundamental to my continuing D-education.

Thanks for the review!

4. Meagan Esler
    Meagan Esler March 21, 2011 at 8:17 am | | Reply

Very interesting critique! I have to agree with another post on here and say that I have experienced many wonderful medical professionals….and I’ve experienced the polar opposite. I once had a hospital tell me to take only a portion of my insulin before surgery and then had the nurses give me a hard time and call me a “brittle” diabetic when my sugars were less than stellar just before the morning (fasting, I might add) surgery. I’ve also had a nurse disconnect my insulin IV and forget to reconnect it – all the while accusing me of eating since my sugars were going up. Unless ice chips count as carbs, I did nothing to deserve the treatment I received. Thanks for offering the info on this new book! Sorry for my rant. :)

5. reyna
    reyna March 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm | | Reply

Perhaps the “Nurses” part of the title was slapped there as a marketing ploy. Nursing has been recognized for years as one of the most “trustworthy” professions out there. I think the public in general trusts them more than they do physicians. I am not weighing in on the issue “here” or “there”, just postulating. The book sounds horrible…btw.

I like that you gave an honest and not glowing review.

6. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera March 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm | | Reply

Nurses and hospitalists may or may not know very much about diabetes, and heaven help you if you get one that doesn’t!! I would only put trust in a nurse who had a lot of experience with diabetics (but how would you know?). The best defense is a good offense, which means having a family member who knows what you need to advocate for you if you can’t advocate for yourself.

And I’m NOT buying this book!

7. Jane Jeffrie Seley DNP CDE BC-ADM
    Jane Jeffrie Seley DNP CDE BC-ADM March 25, 2011 at 5:15 am | | Reply

As a registered nurse, nurse practitioner, certified diabetes educator (CDE) and board certified in advanced diabetes management (BC-ADM) as a nurse practitioner I have to say that this book is not “What nurses know” but rather “What this nurse knows”. Ms. Mertig happens to be a nurse and a PWD but is not a CDE nor BC-ADM. If she wanted to represent the profession of nursing, she should have done her homework and provided a more comprehensive listing of helpful websites. I have a six page typed list that I give to my patients which I update annually.