1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog March 19, 2011 at 7:12 am | | Reply

We fill most of our prescriptions for a 90 day supply. We have them written so that’s there’s wiggle room.

Do the math and see if it’s better, both for the cost of your copay and for the amount you’ll be given, if a monthly or 90 day supply is better.

When we were using an insulin pen, it was better to get it by the month because they couldn’t break a box to give us less. Now that we use vials for the insulin pump, 90 days is better for us.

And I always refill when I open the last box/vial/package of any item to give the pharmacy plenty of time in case they need to order it in and give me plenty of time to pick it up. I never wait until the last minute to get anything!

2. Zazzy
    Zazzy March 19, 2011 at 8:22 am | | Reply

If you use a mail order pharmacy that might get you several months ahead. Mine provides 3 months of meds at a time and really wants me to refill at 2 months – so I have about 6 months extra of everything even when I was on insulin.

Really good explanation of beginning treatment with T2, though I think my endo might disagree that T2s don’t benefit from having an endo. One thing you didn’t mention was, at least with T2, when your body is used to living at a high sugar level, bringing it down quickly makes you feel really miserable. I’ve worked with many T2s who were convinced that they needed to stay at higher blood sugar levels because they felt so bad at near normal.

3. Meri
    Meri March 19, 2011 at 9:35 am | | Reply

I love this new column! Great idea Mine!

4. Anne
    Anne March 19, 2011 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

you can just ask your doc to increase your prescription amount.

5. Patty
    Patty March 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm | | Reply

My husband has type 2, and his blood sugar levels were higher than that for a short time due to undiagnosed diabetes and he burned his feet fighting a brush fire. He went blind in 3 weeks. He had diabetes for many years before that, probably, but went from almost unnoticeable vision problems to legal blindness, in 3 weeks of very high blood sugar. Again, his numbers were higher than this, but only 3 weeks. So I would insist on insulin if it were my relative with such high blood sugar levels as this boss’ husband.

6. Wendy
    Wendy March 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm | | Reply

This is a great idea! Can’t wait to see what kinds of questions come rolling in :)

7. reyna
    reyna March 20, 2011 at 3:31 am | | Reply

Amy, Thanks for having Wil!!!! He is one of my favorite PWD bloggers. His candor and his sense of humor have me rolling with laughter. And…his knowledge base is deep and right on.

On the medication stock-pile build-up. I too, am a mail order pharmacy girl. I have managed to stagger it to the point that I have a 1 month supply of “cushion”. Also…couldn’t the patient “loosely” round up the amount of insulin that they are using per month? It is not like it is a “set amount”…just an idea.

Have a great w/e and again…so glad to see Will over here.

8. baddecisionmaker
    baddecisionmaker March 20, 2011 at 6:58 am | | Reply

Regarding the first question about snow day/disaster supplies, I have another idea. Get your Dr. to write you a prescription for more insulin than you need (this might not work for pills but for units of insulin where you’re adjusting the dose anyways it works well). That seems less convoluted than going through approval for an extra month supply, and the amount of insulin I use day to day varies a lot anyways so I just had my Dr. write it for the high end of that rather than my average. So my average delivered by my pump is 48ish units a day, but +10 or 20 for priming and leftovers, and a big carb day or bad site here or there adds up, so I asked her to write for a 75 unit/day supply.

She had no problem doing it, especially when I explained that insulin I use isn’t just what goes directly into my body daily, I also use that insulin I need to prime the pump, insulin left over in the reservoir when I’m due to change my site but there’s 10-20 units left in the pump. And the occasional insulin bottle that breaks or goes bad. That’s totally legit. And something that is bound to happen every so often even if you don’t encounter a severe natural disaster/snow emergency etc.

9. tmana
    tmana March 22, 2011 at 6:58 am | | Reply

IIRC, the most recent ADA Standards of Care for Type 2 diabetes recommended going to one oral plus insulin to get blood glucose numbers back to something a bit more “normal” in a more reasoned fashion, then to back off the insulin if it wasn’t needed. The issue with this is fear of shots (sticking onesself with sharp pointy things also manifests in a fear of self-testing). That said, I hope that the education class is not too far off, as it’s easy to feel lost and like one either doesn’t have to do anything, or has to do everything, or both, all at once. I know I went through a week of being afraid to eat anything, until I figured out how to manage low-sodium, managed calories, and exchanges reasonably on my own.