1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter March 2, 2011 at 6:29 am | | Reply

Like Amy and Manny, I also have LADA, diagnosed at 48. Myth #4 is the one I would really like to be rid of. Too many of us have to fight too hard to be correctly diagnosed. I especially wish healthcare providers (GPs, RNs, etc.) would be educated. Too often they stubbornly insist that this is what they were taught and so they must know better, evidence to the contrary. This sets too many of us up for failure.

2. Kristin
    Kristin March 2, 2011 at 7:42 am | | Reply

Would appreciate more clarification on point 4. Are you saying that that the average age of Type 1 DIAGNOSIS is mid-30s, or that the average age of people who have Type 1 is mid-30s? Would be surprising to me if it were the former.

I have been told many of these things, especially as a child (dx’d at age 11). Eg, that I ate too much candy and that is what made me diabetic. This by my grandmother who was a nurse! That hurt a lot and inspired a lot of guilt for years……

3. Sysy
    Sysy March 2, 2011 at 8:09 am | | Reply

About number 3, if many researchers believe more than one thing in the environment is cummulatively becoming a possible cause, then I wouldn’t say that number 3 is a myth, I’d say it’s only a suspect and that it’s not as simple as “breastfeed your child and they won’t get diabetes”. I talked with some doctors recently who specialize in autoimmune diseases and they say that If it’s true the environment is messing with our immune systems, then we should probably acknowledge “the tipping point” involved. Meaning, if we do our best with data we have so far, maybe we’ll nearly avoid the point where diabetes is triggered in at least some cases.

4. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog March 2, 2011 at 9:15 am | | Reply

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes just weeks after an illness. I’ve never thought that it *caused* her diabetes, but I’ve always thought that it was kind of the last straw that brought it to the surface. I agree that maybe she was “on the edge of a cliff.”

My husband and I had several “what ifs.” I couldn’t breastfeed her for long (for several reasons). We used infant formula. We used baby bottles that were later found to contain BPA.

We also fed her a mostly vegetarian diet of largely organic foods, gave her lots of sunshine and fresh air, and did all the other things we thought were good for her.

But we have to have the philosophy that we did what we could given the knowledge we had at the time.

On another of the topics, our endo told us at her last visit that Q is still honeymooning and likely still has some working beta cells based on her low basal rates and lack of spikes after some meals. (We found that out while doing the iPro.) I assumed, as so many others, that the beta cells were completely destroyed within 6 months or so. I’m glad to hear that there may be some functioning cells for years and years.

5. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie March 2, 2011 at 11:57 am | | Reply

Allison,

Nice post! Unfortunately not quite as entertaining as the “Mythbusters” show – nothing was blown up!

Anecdotally, I was sick with the flu in college and required an “alcohol mat” to keep my temperature below 103F prior to my “official” diagnosis some 10 months later. Of course, as a first time away from home college freshman, I had lots of other stresses at the time, so the “cliff” idea resonates with me.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

6. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston March 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm | | Reply

Wait, today the average age of a person diagnosed with T1 diabetes is mid-thirties?! That means that HALF the people being dx’d as a new Type 1 today are over 35′ish? Wow! That’s a LOT! I was under the impression that T1 newbies under 20 still made up the majority of new T1 diagnoses. I am clearly stuck in a dated mythology! Thanks!

7. Bob
    Bob March 3, 2011 at 8:05 am | | Reply

My type 1 came after I also had a bad case of the flu and now after 30+ years I was interested to see someone also mention a virus as the possible cause. I am the only one in the family on both sides with it and my life has still be as active as it would of been becasue I try to maintain exercise and proper eating. What is so concerning is the rise in type 2 and the obesity issues that are facing this country in the coming years. Statistcs are showing diabetes and breast cancer reaching terrible levels.

8. Maria
    Maria March 3, 2011 at 5:44 pm | | Reply

On myth #4, it is true that there has been an increase in the number of late onset diabetes (LADA) that that is diagnosed in people over 18 years of age in recent years. Research is ongoing as to the causes — one of the most popular as mentioned is environmental or a trigger such as a virus that causes the body to ‘fight’ its own cells such as those that are produced in the pancreas that make insulin (autoimmunity). As you’ve probably already noticed most of your endos have tested you for various autoimmune diseases such as Celiac (Tropical Sprue), thyroid abnormalities as studies are showing an association betwen type 1 diabetes and autoimmune disorders such as these.

9. shinaye
    shinaye March 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

i’m w/ Mary Decter. I was hospitalized w/ DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis)
    @ age 48 . Diagnosed with T1 but treated as T2 (with insulin). 2-1/2 yrs later, diagnosis of LADA. Even them, they ( my D team) still weren’t sure.

In my early research on the Web, I found out that autoimmune diseades run in pairs. Mine is overactive thyroid, now under-active & T1. Found out both have a genetic basis on Mom’s side of the family. How about that?

Amy, thanks for the mythbuster article. Mucho encouraged by it.

10. Kirsten
    Kirsten March 25, 2011 at 9:30 am | | Reply

I breastfed my son who was diagnosed with T1 for 2 1/2 years so the breastfeeding argument doesn’t fit our lives either. I had heard that a trauma such as an accident can trigger it too. My son was involved in a snowboarding accident and was diagnosed six months later. Has anyone else heard that as a possible trigger?

11. I Guess the Honeymoon Isn’t Over