1. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter March 22, 2011 at 7:08 am | | Reply

It does bother me how much the ADA ignores adult Type 1s, especially as it seems to perpetuate the myth that Type 1s are cute kids and the rest of us are obese, lazy Type 2s (not that either type is necessarily either obese or lazy). This coupled with the strident Breast Cancer Awareness campaigns depresses me. I just wish the ADA and our doctors were aware of us.

2. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog March 22, 2011 at 7:12 am | | Reply

As the parent of a child with diabetes, I always find it discouraging that T1 doesn’t get as much press, especially the warning signs in children.

We were lucky to have a pediatrician who caught it based on me calling and saying Q drank a half gallon of milk in one day (among other symptoms, but that was the one that made me really think something was wrong and it wasn’t lingering illness).

But there was a child in our school district who died of undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes last year.

So as I and another parent of a diabetic child gave an inservice to the teachers at school this year, we made sure that *they* knew the warning signs. After all, children have to ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink so teachers may pick up on the signs.

When I sent home fliers and e-mailed parents about our ADA Kiss-a-Pig campaign, I made sure to include information on the signs of diabetes. If it’s in the back of their minds, maybe when their child or someone they know starts having symptoms they can identify it early.

So with all my advocacy and educating that I try to do regarding Type 1 diabetes, why am I asking people to take the risk assessment for T2 today?

Because us parents of children with diabetes often put our children first and don’t take care of ourselves. Given that lack of exercise and poor diet are risk factors, those of us caring for kids with T1 might be putting ourselves at risk.

I took the test today and my risk was “low” and only based on the fact that I have a family member with diabetes (though it did not ask if the family member was T1 or T2, which might make a difference).

3. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins March 22, 2011 at 7:24 am | | Reply

Thanks for posting this, Amy. I wrote about it today, too, and delved into my concern about the messaging. But it’s great to have this awareness and there are so many excellent ways to go about it. Loved the video you posted.

4. Dr. J
    Dr. J March 22, 2011 at 8:33 am | | Reply

Thanks for the useful article. I did not know today is “diabetes alert day”. Recently my wife has been diagnosed with diabetes and I am reading many articles on diabetes and I found this post to be very useful.
    Thanks

5. Susanna Shipp
    Susanna Shipp March 22, 2011 at 8:54 am | | Reply

I do agree that Type 1 diabetes does not get the attention it should. Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are both devastating for those diagnosed. Diabetes Alert Day should give equal attention to both. The ADA site for Alert Day does give both types the opportunity to join the movement and share their stories. I know this in no way excuses the fact that this day has been set aside largely for Type 2 diabetics, but maybe if enough Type 1′s join and share their story, the ADA will get the hint.

6. Jane K
    Jane K March 22, 2011 at 9:00 am | | Reply

Thanks for this important post, Amy! As a diabetes educator I have provided “Diabetes Alert Day” stations throughout the years. My observation is that the majority of the people who stop by my table have no risk of type 2 diabetes. The ones with high risk avoid me like the plague. My plea to those people who know they are at risk: please talk to us (diabetes educators); get more information; you can prevent this thing from happening. And finally: we are not the food police! We won’t make you feel bad because you are at risk for type 2 diabetes. We just want to help.
    PS Diabetes Alert Day is geared toward type 2 diabetes because it is preventable. Type 1 diabetes is just as important – and thank you to those who are working hard to get the word out on how to detect it as well!

7. Susanna Shipp
    Susanna Shipp March 22, 2011 at 9:01 am | | Reply

I agree that type 1 diabetes does not get the attention from the ADA that it should. Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes are both devastating to those who have been diagnosed with them. The Diabetes Alert Day should give equal consideration for both. The ADA site for Alert Day does give both types the opportunity to join the movement and share their stories. I know this in no way excuses the fact that this day has in large been set aside for type 2 diabetics, but if enough type 1′s join and share their stories, maybe the ADA will get the hint that they are ignoring a large percentage of diabetics in this country.

8. Maria
    Maria March 26, 2011 at 7:05 am | | Reply

Thank you for this posting that educates many who don’t know about the silent and ubiquitous symptoms of both types of diabetes. As you are all probably aware, type 1 is being diagosed more frequently in folks who are in their 30s. So keep sharing your message; it will take time, but the social media is a great way to spread it more quickly! Check out our Fit4d blog for a future post on why type 1 diabetes diagnoses is on the rise.