1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell March 16, 2011 at 6:34 am | | Reply

I know I’m not the only person waiting for the FDA to approve the OmniPod/Dexcom and Animas/Dexcom integration. I can see myself holding onto my Cozmo pump past its warranty date until one or both of these happens.

Some other issues with the Dexcom that I’m hoping they’ve fixed in their 4th generation device.
    1. Unnecessary alarms. If looked at the display in the last 2 minutes, I already know what’s happening. Don’t alarm unless the values are changing quickly. I’m annoyed when this happens at night and I’ve just fallen back to sleep.
    2. Alarm customization. I’ll get used to any alarm if I can’t change it. It’s a lot easier for me to sleep through the alarm, even with the receiver in bed right beside my head. Let me customize the alarm sound, not just the volume.
    3. Let me scroll back a la Medtronic, so I can actually read the values from two hours ago, not just guesstimate then from the graph.
    4. Please use a standard mini USB connection for charging and syncing with the computer. That’ll make it much easier to charge and I won’t need yet another cable when I’ve got many, many USB cables lying round the house.
    5. Please develop smoother skins. The current ones are really hard to get into and out of my jeans pocket.

Have fun Amy, I’ll generally get 10-12 days out of a sensor with accuracy only dropping off in the last 24 hours.

2. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera March 16, 2011 at 6:51 am | | Reply

I like my MM because I like being able to see where I’ve been in the last 24 hours, and I’ve gotten to know its idiosyncrasies — it’s almost always 20 – 30 mg/dl lower than I actually am, so I just take that into account. I don’t mind the tegaderm I use to keep it flat, and the next generation, the Enlite, will have an adhesive to tape it down built in. I love the fact that it coordinates with the pump, so I don’t have to drag around another gadget — for me the less diabetes junk I have to cart around, the better!
    I do think that if we wait long enough, CGMs will get better, but I sure like this better than testing 12 times a day! :-)

3. Denise
    Denise March 16, 2011 at 6:56 am | | Reply

Can you take the rubber cover off? Seems like a pain. Then you can keep it in a spibelt when you’re not dressed up. My 8 yr old wears her pump in a spibelt 24-7 and doesn’t even notice it.

I’m glad you like it. I read that guys book that was on your site all about cgm and it was really helpful.

4. David
    David March 16, 2011 at 8:00 am | | Reply

The current PLUS does not resemble the original STS, it is that much better.
    I think it should take borrow a page from MM and allow different high/low targets for different times of day. It would also be nice but not essential if it could save readings when the receiver is out of range.

5. Wendy
    Wendy March 16, 2011 at 8:16 am | | Reply

We’re warming up to Dex over here too! It’s like a dramatic love affair sometimes…fortunately the good times outweigh the bad :)

6. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange March 16, 2011 at 9:32 am | | Reply

I l ove my Dex as well, all except for the ??? issue. Basically, when ??? appear, the device stops working. I know that it is trying to “understand” what the sensor is sending and is a “normal” part of the system. So, from a technical standpoint, the system is still working normally.

However, from a patient standpoint it is not. It does not know what your levels are and cannot alert someone who suffers from hypoglycemic unawareness to extremely dangerous lows in the middle of the night (or any other time).

You may say, well that is just how it is. And that is true and honestly, that is not the dangerous part for the patient.

The part that puts the patient in danger is that is does NOT sound an alarm to let the patient that it is no longer functioning properly.

But I still love the damn thing…

7. David Downs
    David Downs March 16, 2011 at 11:45 am | | Reply

I just finished a 7 day trial and I’m trying to get my order placed for a new Seven system today! I was impressed by the accurace and comfort and I’m anxiously awaiting the future integration with the Animas pump. I also agree with the comments above regarding continual alarms when low and the use of a common charger like mini-USB.

8. Barbara
    Barbara March 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

I’ve had similar good results with the Dex 7+ since August 2010. I credit it for helping get my A1c down from 7.6 to 6.9 in a few months…but the number of devices: Animas Ping and Dex receiver, not to mention phone and sometimes Ipod leaves me spinning. And yes, the mentioned improvements get my “yes please” too.

9. Melitta
    Melitta March 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm | | Reply

Thanks, Amy, for sharing your experience. I was also at the Santa Rosa TCOYD, and spent a lot of time asking questions at the Dexcom booth! I had tried the Medtronic Guardian, but it was so wildly inaccurate I just gave up on it. Next up for me, Dexcom. Thanks for the motivation.

10. Roselady
    Roselady March 16, 2011 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

What I love about Dexcom is that when we have a problem with ??? or failed sensors they take responsibility for the problem. Great customer service!

11. Sarah
    Sarah March 16, 2011 at 1:42 pm | | Reply

Glad you’re having a good experience this time! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Dex, even with the things that aren’t exactly as I’d want them…it has helped me go from HbA1c of 8.4 (2 years ago, just on MM pump) to 7.1 (1 year ago, Animas pump) to 5.8 (today, after using Dex for about 10 months now). I don’t want to go without it for more than a day or 2 max, it’s just so helpful. It’s a reminder and a behavioral tool for me. And I was concerned about wearing 2 devices and carrying the third (meter), but it really is not that much of a bother at all. I love that when I call w/ ???issues, they talk it through with me and when there is no good reason for it, send me replacements. I love that it’s easy to use. I wish there were a few more options for things like alarms (sound, volume and timing) and viewing. I wish MOST that the Ping and Dex were combined into 1 device, like NOW. But overall I love it. Oh, and I have gotten up to 24 days w/ 1 sensor, just starting it over at the end of the 7-day cycle, keeping the receiver charged and using skin-tac (first) and some tegaderm strips (after a couple weeks) to keep it on.

Hey, I’m in the Bay Area too, so if you’d like to get together sometime and chat about Dex or anything else, type 1 or whatever, please contact me. I’d love to do that.

12. Angie
    Angie March 17, 2011 at 12:29 am | | Reply

I need help! I love my pod but my husband will not let me pay for anymore. Yes, I know, huge issue. All I care about is getting some pods and having good blood sugars. I will deal with him later. Does anyone know how I can get better insurance or cheaper pods? or free pods?

13. Ryan
    Ryan March 18, 2011 at 8:28 am | | Reply

I have been on the CGM fence for a few years now.. I am still waiting for the Dex/Omni-Pod all in one unit. Anyone have any updates on that?
    Thanks!!

14. Dan Fahey
    Dan Fahey March 18, 2011 at 11:35 am | | Reply

Question: Can the Dexcom be just worn at night? In other words, [I guess] once a sensor is plugged in is it reusable over and over for say a week?

15. Myra Shoub
    Myra Shoub March 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm | | Reply

I also think the Dexcom 7+ is the best, and I have worn all of them. I would like to know the best way to get more than a week out of a sensor. Can anyone address that at length? Medicare does not pay for sensors, so longer wear works for me!!!

16. Greg B
    Greg B March 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm | | Reply

@ Ryan I have the Dexcom 7 and you cant remove the sensor holder and reuse it it’s a glue pad that stays in place until it dies. So you cant just pop it on and off, it’s a good system though pushing that injector the first few time is interesting.

17. Amber
    Amber March 25, 2011 at 6:26 am | | Reply

My son, age 2 1/2 is wearing the dexcom now and it is wonderful. It takes out all of the guesswork and has helped me to see just what is going on in his little sensitive body! My complaints are opposite of most adults, wishing for louder alerts (instead of vibrating), smaller size, and better range (I can’t understand how rf remotes can send a signal through multiple floors yet this thing only can send 5 feet?).
    Awesome otherwise, a must for parents of toddlers with type 1!

18. Sooz
    Sooz April 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm | | Reply

We are still waiting for the Dexcom 7+ here in Australia. I’ve wanted one way before I went on an Animas 2020 (no Ping available here) some 22 months ago.

I read with jealousy some of the great experiences people have with this CGM and continue to wait eagerly for them to appear here. I’m told not to hold my breath, which is a great shame because it’s the same diabetes and same issues we have here as in the USA and wherever else these CGMs are available.

19. Darren
    Darren October 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm | | Reply

My Dex 7 just shipped, and arrives this week. Any suggestions from you veterans? Also, my abdomen areas are sensitive from several years on a Minimed pump…(I’m back on shots now). The MM aggressive insertion systems did a number under my skin…lots of pain there still. So I will not be able to keep my GCM within 2-4 inches left or right of my navel. How far outwards (towards the love handles) can you insert it? And has anyone had luck with other insertion sites? I don’t have a lot of fat.

My last A1C was 10 so I really need this. Looking forward to it. I have anxiety/panic attacks about worrying whether my BS is too low, (it usually never is) which causes me to (a) test way too often, and (b) keep my BS higher than target (obviously with that A1C).

Type 1 for 36 years now.