1. reyna
    reyna March 26, 2011 at 9:51 am | | Reply

LOVE Wil!!! I would have said “who gives a rat’s a– what people thing”…just a different take, but the same message. I have been worried about this while raising Joe with type 1. I don’t ever want him to feel embarassed about any part of his care. I don’t make a big deal about it, but we do it where we do it…when we need to do it. ‘Nuf said.

Great piece!

2. reyna
    reyna March 26, 2011 at 9:51 am | | Reply

Ah…that was “think” not “thing”…oops.

3. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 26, 2011 at 10:46 am | | Reply

This is a great column Wil. This addition to Diabetes Mine is just perfect for you. :-)

4. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter March 26, 2011 at 12:12 pm | | Reply

Lancets come in different gauges. The higher the number, the finer the needle. 33 is the finest. Also, look into different lancing devices. You don’t have to keep using the stuff that came with your meter. And, yes, change your lancet. If you go all macho with “I never change my lancet” then you can’t complain it hurts. Me, my fingers are worth the 5cents because they create beautiful music and beautiful wearable art.

5. Meri
    Meri March 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

Wil is doing a wonderful job with this new column!

I have seen that sleezy commercial, it grabbed my attention, and I’m not a newbee! The misleading language is appalling!

6. Bennet
    Bennet March 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm | | Reply

Yea! Wil!

Ho gives a *. Brilliant advice.

7. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog March 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

Wil, I’d like to see a little more sarcasm and snarkiness in your answers. It’s a bit clinical for me. (wink!)

I second that you should give yourself insulin any where you are without embarrassment or apology. When our daughter was still on MDI, we gave her insulin where we were when she needed it. We wanted to teach her that diabetes is nothing to hide. And I also agree that the insulin pen makes MDI a little easier.

8. Carmen
    Carmen March 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm | | Reply

Will,

Your voice is refreshingly bright, unconstrained by convention, and mercifully full of humor. Carry on.

My brother just got diagnosed with diabetes, so guess where I am directing him for the skinny on the disease? You betcha!

Cheers,
    Carmen

9. Kim
    Kim March 26, 2011 at 5:38 pm | | Reply

Ha – love this advice, and the snarky way in which it’s delivered. Keep it up!

10. tmana
    tmana March 27, 2011 at 9:15 am | | Reply

I have an alternate take on alternate site testing. I have cold-mediated issues with peripheral circulation, leading to fingers that are cyanotic (blue-tinged) when cool and sometimes incapable of producing a blood drop unless I used the alternate-site cap on its deepest setting. A fingertip blood test under those conditions will most of the time read out as being much lower than I really am. I find the forearm test to be both less painful and more accurate under those circumstances. On the other hand, if I am outdoors in summer, the sunscreen on my forearms will cause blood to wet, rather than bead up, rendering me completely unable to use a forearm test in those conditions.

Which is a long-winded way of saying, your mileage may vary — so test a lot and keep track of how environmental conditions, lows, and highs affect you personally at any site you might choose to use to test from.

11. mollyjade
    mollyjade March 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm | | Reply

Chances are, no one will even notice you giving yourself a shot in public. It’s one of those cases where people are too busy thinking about themselves to notice what you’re doing.

12. Denise
    Denise March 28, 2011 at 6:51 am | | Reply

Everyone else is using insulin to process their meals–why shouldn’t you!? That they have the benefit of a working pancreas is something they shouldn’t begrudge you! I remember my 4 yr old’s first shot at McDonald’s. I thought my husband would choke. But I explained to him later that I can’t let our baby think there’s anything wrong with caring for herself. This is going to be a long road and if she starts feeling bad at age 4, well that wouldn’t make it any easier. So we test and shoot up in public, just like I nursed her in public whenever she was hungry as a baby. And guess what, we’ve had plenty D folk apprach us with a thumbs up testing in a restaurant or doing a site change on the beach. So go for it–most ppl who notice are on your side.

btw, I saw that scummy commercial and was really ticked b/c my now 8 yr old was standing right there looking like, hey, why didn’t I know about this?!?! I had to explain that it was a big lie! Sure you don’t have to poke your finger, but you do have to poke your arm!! Really annoying commercial.

13. Nick Lozar
    Nick Lozar March 28, 2011 at 7:31 am | | Reply

Everyone has such great comments. Here is a good “shooting up” story.

I happen to work out of the Pentagon sometimes, and I also have the pleasure of interacting with our military’s senior leaders on a frequent basis. I have had to test AND deliver boluses in front of senior officers, at events, during meetings, even riding in vehicles…in a uniform. The best was when my boss came out of a meeting early and I was standing there behind the filing cabinet half dressed applying my OmniPod.

For those of you who think that if you don’t make a bog deal out of the process, neither will anyone else…YOU ARE RIGHT! The only time I ever make a deal out of it is on an airplane. I try to be courteous to my fellow passengers and ask them if they mind me checking my BG. Never had anyone say they minded, and it often leads to a nice conversation fr the duration of the flight.

14. Frank Zweegers
    Frank Zweegers March 30, 2011 at 8:36 am | | Reply

Great review. Thanks.

15. Ann Jacky
    Ann Jacky April 4, 2011 at 6:50 am | | Reply

Great addition! I have also seen the add & got my hopes up, but alas, It’s all a lie! Keep up the good work.

16. Howard Steinberg
    Howard Steinberg April 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | | Reply

Will – spot on! I enjoy your keen insights and style. Give ‘em hell!