1. Kristin
    Kristin March 3, 2011 at 7:00 am | | Reply

I had the pleaure of meeting Helen Free when I worked at Bayer. She maintained an office on the campus, still. She is a remarkable woman and her work was so pioneering, really getting us on the road to “self”-management. Thanks, Helen!

2. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie March 3, 2011 at 9:54 am | | Reply

Thanks for the history lessons! Pretty amazing stories, plus now I finally understand the dramatic tension from the movie, “Steel Magnolias”.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

3. Sarah
    Sarah March 3, 2011 at 11:43 am | | Reply

This is so cool. Thanks for this awesome post! I am in awe of these women and others who have worked so hard to improve the life of PWD, in addition to keeping us alive. Much gratitude.

4. Caroline
    Caroline March 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm | | Reply

Ah! I went to Clara Barton Camp in 1990-1993. Memorieeeeees! Yay Priscilla White! That was such a fun post to read on the women of diabetes–thank you so much. The Clara Barton Camp for girls with diabtes and the Joslin camp for boys with diabetes (right down the road) had mixed co-ed dances that were a total riot–there were counselors with testing supplies and glucose and crackers set up every couple of feet around the dance floor to catch us as we fell =) I wonder how many diabetic love stories were spawned from dual lows after dancing to Bon Jovi?!

5. Janelle
    Janelle March 4, 2011 at 11:13 am | | Reply

NOW I know why my brother and I (b.1946 & ’51) were “by appointment.” I’ve wondered….

6. rebecca
    rebecca March 4, 2011 at 11:58 pm | | Reply

Two additional women who are heroes in the history of diabetes are Dr. Mary Olney and and Dr. Ellen Simpson. They founded the first camp for diabetic children west of the Mississippi. These two women doctors from the University of California, San Francisco provided thousands of diabetic kids their first camp opportunity while redefining diabetes management to focus on the whole child.

7. Ross, Type 1 Diabetic
    Ross, Type 1 Diabetic March 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm | | Reply

Goodness, that’s unbelievable! How on earth can anyone produce home made insulin? I’m gonna have to Google that one this afternoon! Having only been a Type 1 diabetic for 7 years and finding out late in life (age 27) I am aware of how lucky I’ve been when it comes to treating diabetes. It really wasnt that long ago when things where an awful lot harder… this is something I remind myself when having a bad day, it could be worst. I now have something else to be thankful for, that I dont need to produce my own medication! Thanks for the article, fascinating stuff, we really do take a lot for granted these days…

8. Richard
    Richard March 6, 2013 at 8:50 am | | Reply

Dr. Priscilla White was my mother’s doctor at Joslin, for many years. She was her doctor when she gave birth to me and my 3 siblings, as a diabetic. My mother died a few years ago in her 80′s, and after almost 70 years as a diabetic. Dr.While became my doctor, too, when I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 10 years old. When I was young, the whole family usually took the long trip to Boston so we could visit Dr. White – once or twice a year. We usually went with big jugs of urine and notebooks filled with notes and records. She always had an encouraging word and was interested in what I was doing.

9. Marge. Capifoni