1. Karen
    Karen March 29, 2011 at 6:29 am | | Reply

I love that your post covers both side of the exercise equation!! I have to admit, I tend to lean more towards Allison’s “penance” side of the fence, but I’m working on learning to view exercise more like Amy’s “party time” view. I have found that I really love going out for “runs” with my husband (although at this point it’s more like a “slow jog” than a run) and I actually find myself looking forward to our next outing. So hopefully my exercise transition is starting. :)

2. reyna
    reyna March 29, 2011 at 7:09 am | | Reply

I’m in Amy’s camp…I don’t have “D”. Joe (my kid with “D”) is in Amy’s camp too … I think. I’d have to catch him to find out – LOL.

3. Erica
    Erica March 29, 2011 at 8:17 am | | Reply

I love this post. I am somewhere in the middle of you two. l absolutely love it, even while I do it, but sometimes all the diabetes and life crap gets in the way. Also, I had a recent thyroid problem which caused me to chub up, and I find excercise is more awkward when I am chubbier. Plus it is a little embarassing to be in spin class with my bum hanging off the seat.

4. carol
    carol March 29, 2011 at 8:36 am | | Reply

Great post! I’m with Amy, and am totally addicted to exercise. Making time for it is as much in support of my mental health as the physical…maybe more. It hasn’t always been this much “necessity”, and I’m really not sure exactly what flipped that switch. To me, exercise is as vital as brushing my teeth and showering — might be able to skip a day now and then, but really starts to stink after that!

5. Chris
    Chris March 29, 2011 at 9:09 am | | Reply

Great posts, I love it when we get real about what it is to live with Diabetes. Some days I love the exercise, some days I hate it. In the past year, I’ve shed 80lbs, working on getting to 100lbs leaner. I blog 3-4 times a week, feel free to stop by. Again, great post and thanks for sharing! truthindiabetes.com or facebook.com/truthindiabetes

6. Sysy
    Sysy March 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

Love the realistic contrasts here, ladies! I’ve gone through phases of each. Right now love for exercise is winning, luckily. But it has to win, I have two 21 month olds who demand I be fit!

7. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay March 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm | | Reply

great post! hey I’m working on figuring out what motivates people from all backgrounds to exercise. There is an informal survey linked to my blog which you can find here: http://annetics.blogspot.com/2011/03/survey-on-exercise-and-motivation.html

I’d love to get more input from the D-community. This is just for me to share back with you all. I have my own ideas on what motivates me but I’d like to hear some broader views.
    cheers

direct link to the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MLF2NL8

8. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera March 29, 2011 at 7:45 pm | | Reply

I’m in Allison’s camp. The only way I can get myself to exercise is if there’s some mental activity involved, so I’m going to a Balkan and Greek folk-dance group. The unfortunate thing is, it only meets once a week. But I really do enjoy it, as the level of exercise is appropriate for me (I’m an old lady, LOL!) and the people there don’t care whether you’re a good dancer or not (I’m not!). I do need to think of something else to do, though, because once a week is not enough.

9. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill March 30, 2011 at 9:57 am | | Reply

I’m more of an Allison kind of gal, and concur with her that the Northeast is ‘not conducive to exercise unless weather extremes don’t phase you. That being said, after multiple halfhearted, guilt-driven attempts at starting an exercise regimen, I started one 2 months ago, and I’m still going. Usually by week 4 or 6, the number of times I’m doing it per week starts to gradually decrease, but I’ve been doing it more frequently. Just last week, I signed up to do an 18-mile fund raising walk, so my goal is to train for that. I’m hoping by the time I get done with that, exercise will be as much a part of my routine as brushing my teeth so I’ll be less likely to give up the way I have in the past.

10. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins March 30, 2011 at 10:15 am | | Reply

What a great look at both sides of the exercise equation, Allison and Amy! Thank you for that, and also for the book (which I’m likely to read, being in Allison’s camp). Thank you for this… Looking forward to moving more toward Amy’s side, but not there yet! We’ll see what happens in the coming months as we get into the warmer months.

11. Angela Coles
    Angela Coles March 30, 2011 at 11:46 am | | Reply

definitely 2 opposites there. And I hated sport in school, but really enjoy dance, walking and aerobics.

12. Mark
    Mark March 31, 2011 at 5:11 am | | Reply

Great article, love the 2 sides of the story,
    very informative, I may check this book out myself.

13. Les K
    Les K June 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

A very interesting read about the higher rate diabetic burn fat.
    There is very real causative link between metabolic indicators and glucose levels.

14. Anne Findlay