1. Kristin
    Kristin February 9, 2011 at 8:28 am | | Reply

Hey! I just tried to take the survey. was asked if I use “an injection device” to delivery my medication. Wasn’t sure how to reply since I wear a pump, which I don’t consider to be an INJECTION device, but rather an INFUSION device. I replied “no” and then was told I couldn’t continue with the survey.

Can the survey be changed to clarify what they consider to be an injection device AND can I be “reset” to be allowed to take the survey again? Cambridge Consultants, interested in your reply!

Thanks,

Kristin

2. Jamie
    Jamie February 9, 2011 at 9:23 am | | Reply

I just took the survey and have a couple of comments. One is the question “8. When you were prescribed the medication, were you given a choice of devices.” Note that when many patients were prescribed medication, there was no choice of devices (i.e. syringes). I still answered though.

The other comment is that it was making an assumption that the user might only find it difficult or easy. It should be noted that “easy” or “difficult” are rather subjective terms. For me convenience is a huge factor – which includes features that a pump may or may not have.

For example, I have features on my pump, which are in fact make it easy to use, but still drive me crazy when the pump won’t let me do something I want to do, or burp up a useless report that I cannot manipulate because of proprietary software. I have gone to lengths to enter my data in an iphone app, and customized it to work for me, and can download data that I can manipulate. I shouldn’t need to go to such lengths to get something that should be easily available to me.

Now I sound negative about my pump, but without it, I’m sure I wouldn’t be here today, and for that very reason, I love my device! (it just could be better!)

3. Kristin
    Kristin February 9, 2011 at 9:55 am | | Reply

Agree with Jamie on the easy vs difficult thing. There are some features which are too buried in menus or require too many button presses to be able to use conveniently. I equated this as “difficulty in using,” not because it is really difficult in the sense that I might not be able to do it if I tried, but because it is inconvenient and an obstacle.

Would be nice to see what kind of results are generaetd from this survey, if the company can share – at least how many people participated, if they are T1 or T2, etc.

Good luck!

Kristin

4. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 9, 2011 at 10:07 am | | Reply

The “when you were prescribed” wording was strange. Because I was first prescribed insulin long before pumps were available. Better wording might be “when you started on your current device, were you given choices”.

There seems to be a focus on ease of use. This is important, but not as important to me as delivery options. The Cozmo is extremely configurable, which I like, but not as easy to use. I don’t mind the latter because of the configuration options.

5. riva
    riva February 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm | | Reply

I agree with the general consensus that the wording in the survey is unclear and not patient-friendly. Yet, I respect that they are including us in their assessment. Posted it on my site to spread the word.

6. Autumn
    Autumn February 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm | | Reply

My thought was there should’ve been a section for comments. On the question “Have you asked if you can use a different device?” I put No because I’m still in my 4 year warrenty period with my pump. My insurance will not cover a new pump until the current warrenty has expired. Therefore it doesn’t make sense for me to ask my Dr about other pumps at this time.
    It would’ve also made more sense to have us rank order the decision factors. 1-Insurance Coverage, 2-Cost, 3-Ease of Use, 4-Portability etc. I may like a different product, but if my insurance doesn’t cover it, then I’m not going to persue it.

7. Casabby
    Casabby February 10, 2011 at 6:56 am | | Reply

I agree with the previous comments that the survey was awkward. I finished it feeling that my answers meant very little and did not express anything of my opinions of using syringes then a pump. Like others I was diagnosed long before anything but syringes were an option. I did not feel that I expressed any opinions on what I would like/need for my continuing journey using medical devices for my Type 1 diabetes. Just a bad survey IMO.

8. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie February 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm | | Reply

Have to agree, awkward questions plus I saw no section for comments.

Of course, for me when I “chose” my device (pump), the key was having a back-up that I could use when the primary failed. Almost all other considerations were immaterial given that I was traveling to places not well-served by Fedex and their ilk.

Fair Winds,
    Mike

9. pking
    pking February 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm | | Reply

Changing a survey while responses are being collected, even if it’s just to clarify a question, invalidates all of the data collected so far. They’re either not trying to collect actual data (but just input), or they’re doing it completely wrong.

Which leads me to your comment, “I’ve long been complaining that there are no established Best Practices for achieving patient involvement in the design process of products for chronic illness care.”

I’m sorry to say that you don’t really seem to know what you’re talking about. I’ve been involved in several studies with design agencies (with Frog and IDEO, both local to SF) working on insulin pump devices. I’m a type 1 diabetic and happen to be a product designer with over a dozen years of experience, but I was just one of a several dozen people meeting with the agency during their work. I admire the passion you bring to the design competition you run each year, but blaming the lack of innovation in the industry on weak design process is ludicrous. Concern for patient safety and the byzantine regulatory system at the FDA clearly delay innovation and product iteration, not to mention profitability, to a large extent. Patients / users clearly do need to be involved in the product design process at many steps in the process, but assuming that that involvement trumps the hundreds of other factors that need considering doesn’t represent reality.