1. William Lee Dubois
    William Lee Dubois February 3, 2011 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Absent a cure, better therapies rock. Pure and simple.

I always tell my patients that it is great to hope for a cure, but that they should live their lives as if there will never be one. I think too many of our kind in the past have been sloppy about control, convinced that a cure is just around the corner.

I think that any organization who has our best interest at heart will simultaneously attack both short and long term goals.

Will money be wasted? I think not. Improvements in diabetes technology won’t be wasted if a cure is found. Let’s not forget there is more than one kind of diabetes. They won’t all be cured the same way. Also, many medical technologies can be applied to other illnesses. But even if that weren’t true: it’s only money. What do we care? How do you weigh money against the value of human life?

If JDRF had spent 50 cents on every dollar since their inception on improving treatments, and 50 cents on every dollar on cure research, we’d still be no closer to a cure today–but boy, would our gear be better!

2. Lorraine
    Lorraine February 3, 2011 at 7:25 am | | Reply

Very well written and articulated, Allison. I feel I can empathize with the varied perspectives on this. It’s not straightforward. I wish it were. Thankfully there are multiple organizations with different focus’, but each working to improve the lives of people with diabetes. I tend to think the articulation of what is a significant change in focus touched the emotions of people and there was an understandable reaction. Diabetes cuts deep into all our emotions.

Thanks for this heartfelt post.

3. Cara
    Cara February 3, 2011 at 7:26 am | | Reply

Allison, I’m not often brought to tears over a blog post. But I cried over this one. A cure has been a distant hope for me for years as well. Give me better technology, freedom from complications, and hope for a long and healthy life so I can live to see that cure. That’s what I want.

4. Jacquie
    Jacquie February 3, 2011 at 7:32 am | | Reply

You took the words right off of my keyboard. Wonderfully written, Allison!

5. Sysy
    Sysy February 3, 2011 at 7:34 am | | Reply

Great job Allison, very well written! I too, think focus in both areas is important, new technologies and the cure. Anger over the JDRF is understandably fueled by very strong emotions. Yet, as you said, things do change and we must adjust the sails or we sink. Some of us sooner than others.

I quit mentally relying on a cure as a teenager when I realized it was getting in the way of my diabetes management. When I was 12 I thought, “An 8% A1c isn’t too bad since I’ll be cured soon anyway”. Later, It occured to me that I might possibly live to be 80 and the thought of not making in one piece helped motivate me to pretend a cure was never coming and that I had to make every day the healthiest possible.

I do hold on to the faith of a cure one day. I think it’s a wonderful attribute to keep. I refuse to close that door.

6. Tweets that mention Losing Faith in a Cure via DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog - Editor's Note: Allison Blass, my ... -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, Lorraine , MarieBe, Stacey Simms, Jacquie Wojcik and others. Jacquie Wojcik said: RT @Colcalli: RT @DiabetesMine Losing Faith in a Cure by Allison Blass http://tinyurl.com/4s2gaxc #diabetes @amblass [...]

7. Tony Rose
    Tony Rose February 3, 2011 at 7:48 am | | Reply

I’ve said it before: I want a cure for the CWD. I can take care of myself and would love a cure, but kids shouldn’t have to deal with diabetes. I hope for a days when kids can be kids and not have to worry about blood sugars.

~ Hope for a cure, but plan to never see one ~

8. David
    David February 3, 2011 at 8:00 am | | Reply

From the heart, thank you. Being an autoimmune disease, I guess it is challenging to even identify the process let alone fix it. Imagine my disbelief upon reading about scientists working on beta cell transplants, why would that help when you body is just going to kill off the new beta cells?

Absent a cure, I dream of Smart Insulin. The AP project is noteworthy but for some reason it doesn’t inspire me.

9. sjferrari
    sjferrari February 3, 2011 at 8:23 am | | Reply

I was diagnosed as Type 1 three weeks before my 19th birthday, in 1998. My doctor told me they’d have this thing kicked “in 5-10 years.” I later found out they’d be saying the same thing to new patients for almost two decades, and they continued saying it long after my 5-10 years had come and gone.

I would rather be told, “look, we don’t know what’s going on, but we’re trying. Until we get there, use this to make your life better.” Do I want a cure? Undeniably yes. But I don’t want to put hope in a pipe dream. Do all the research you can and when we get there, we get there. Rushing towards anything just means things get overlooked.

10. Julia
    Julia February 3, 2011 at 8:55 am | | Reply

Our child is a teen and very close to adulthood. I do not think it is possible to discover the cure within the next five years, after which time she will be a young adult, at college on her own. No parental checks in the middle of the night, no help. On….. her….. own. With this unpredictable, roller-coaster of a disease. I want a better life for her NOW, “now” meaning yesterday. I want a carefree life for her now. I am not particularly enthralled with her having two devices, two site changes on her body, not thrilled with the AP. But I’ll take it. Or anything to make her life safe. I would like them to fund therapies that make her life easier. Noninvasive cgms. Implantable islet sheets without the need for immunosuppression. Smart Insulin. The AP is actually my last choice as I think it is more of the same PITA that she has had to deal with for five years. But if it can keep her safe overnight, yes, I’ll take it. But please do not stop there and start funding devices and insulins that have the potential to give her what she has never had since the age of 8, a relatively care-free day to day life. I think we need short term goals, and long term goals. If she has to live as sh has until she is 50 when a cure is finally found…. That is not good enough and is not the life I envision for her.

11. Miriam E. Tucker
    Miriam E. Tucker February 3, 2011 at 9:14 am | | Reply

Absolutely beautifully put, Allison.

12. kelly close
    kelly close February 3, 2011 at 9:33 am | | Reply

hi Allison – thanks so much for the post. I so agree with your sentiment: “Some may say that technology is ‘good enough’ now, but do you really want to stay exactly as we are today?” I know many parents who share that view. As for “why” companies need to be paid – well, for better or worse, that’s how the free market works. Scientists and researchers need financial incentives to develop ideas that lead to new technology and better products, and companies need to be paid to make the goods and services that keep us alive. We all get frustrated by what we pay each day just to stay alive, but the system has clearly produced the kinds of innovation and technology that we now take for granted. And — one hopes — those products will continue to improve.

I think the CWD forum reflects the frustration with the cure, and that’s understandable. But as Jeff Hitchcock noted at the end of the thread, the enemy is not other people with diabetes, and it’s not industry. The enemy is diabetes itself. However imperfect, industry is a partner in that fight, and I believe we’ll do better by providing companies with useful feedback than by maligning them.

David I’m excited about smart insulin too – we wrote about that in this issue of diaTribe also – the piece is at http://bit.ly/fc4thA if you want to see it. This therapy is VERY far off though as it is just finishing animal (!) studies. It’s easy to feel tentative about the AP project since there is still a lot of room to innovate but I’m very glad the JDRF is pursuing this. Much of the JDRF involvement related to the AP isn’t about giving funds but it is about their incredible influence and advice. With CGM, they were incredibly instrumental in getting the first major CGM trial designed, published in the NEJM, and this led to enormous improvements in reimbursement.

Thanks again for reading and commenting …

13. Colleen
    Colleen February 3, 2011 at 9:36 am | | Reply

Well said, Allison!!!!

14. Michelle
    Michelle February 3, 2011 at 9:43 am | | Reply

“You might as well have told them that JDRF was disbanding and that all the remaining money was being funneled into scholarships for clown college.”

It is statements like THIS that inflame parents. But, continue to inflame. go for it. It’s why many parents refuse to take this whole debate seriously.

15. Sarah
    Sarah February 3, 2011 at 9:54 am | | Reply

Thank you for writing this clear, meaningful, reasonable post. My parents and I (as everyone else) were told in 1980 that the cure would be in 5-10 years. Thirty years later and…children with diabetes grow up and are adults living with diabetes. I honestly don’t want to be told by clinicians that a cure is right around the corner, when they don’t know and shouldn’t be saying things when they don’t know what they’re talking about. Meanwhile, we live. We all deserve to live as well as we can, with as much useful, effective technology as possible, today and every day until that potential cure might happen. I’m not going to hold my breath. And meanwhile…we live.

16. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins February 3, 2011 at 10:05 am | | Reply

Well said, Allison. Couldn’t agree more, and appreciate your balanced writing from the heart on this.

I echo what everyone has said, but particularly thought Wil said it best as far as what I feel and think about this whole issue. Yes, a cure is important and as Mr. Brewer said, it remains important now. And I don’t think that the JDRF’s expanded focus or “not in 5-10 years” is abandoning that cure focus at all. Rather, I think that striving to improve technology and make more advances short of the cure will help researchers and everyone better understand what’s needed to cure diabetes. But importantly, I think the JDRF is bringing in more of that “Type 1 target audience” that hasn’t historically been a part of the discussion as it is today. That’s a positive in my opinion. More voices are being added and the discussion is broader than ever before, and while that can lead to disagreement based on perspectives, it’s a healthy discussion and makes the end-result more comprehensive for the entire Diabetes Community. Like you, I lost my real practical faith in a cure a long time ago and have been less than thrilled with the JDF (now JDRF) through the years, but I see hope that the organization is being more realistic and practical about what the Diabetes Community needs as we move toward that day where PWD will see a cure.

17. Anne
    Anne February 3, 2011 at 10:06 am | | Reply

great post, Allison.

18. Penny
    Penny February 3, 2011 at 10:13 am | | Reply

I think you did a great job of supporting why you feel the way you do, while understanding why others may feel differently than you.

I’m a cure or nothing type person. I want Riley cured plain and simple. Insulin, even “intelligent” insulin, is NOT a cure. Wearing another piece of machinery is NOT a cure. Anything that does not involve his pancreas working again on its own, just isn’t good enough for me.

Will that ever happen? I have no idea. Do I believe that it will happen? That question is even harder to answer. My belief waivers. But, my hope? My hope is still intact. I will always hope and pray for a cure. I can’t bare the thought of my son having this disease forever.

But, I am also aware that he may have it forever. And, I’m grateful for any advancements that might be made to make living with diabetes a little easier.

I think in the end we are all still in the same boat. We all WANT a cure. And, until then, we all WANT better ways to manage diabetes. We just have to decide where we want to focus our efforts.

My focus and fundraising efforts are on a cure. And, until that cure I will be very grateful to all of you who have funded new technologies. In turn, I hope you will be grateful one day for those of us who didn’t give up on a cure.

19. Kerri.
    Kerri. February 3, 2011 at 10:27 am | | Reply

I appreciate this post very much, and it’s a welcomed and calm departure from some of the Tweets that were online last night (which, smartly, have been deleted). As we’ve seen with everything diabetes-related, your diabetes, your opinion, and your emotions may vary. I wish there was more respect for these variances.

As far as a cure goes, I agree with Wil’s comment whole-heartedly. “Absent a cure, better therapies rock. Pure and simple.”

But I would still like a cure. Pure and simple. :)

20. Meri
    Meri February 3, 2011 at 10:35 am | | Reply

Wonderfully written. Thank you for this. It IS very emotional…when you watch your children suffer some days, it cuts deep. We all want a cure. We all want to know that people are working towards that end, and thank goodness they are. Until then…my kids need better technology. Pharma can suck it, but they are a necessay evil I guess. No clear answers on this, but what you wrote was passionate, and kind, and truthful. I wish everyone followed you lead. Everyone writes with passion, and with the their own truths…I just wish more would be kind about it all. I hate to see us turning against eachother…when we all want the same thing.

21. Jim Paige
    Jim Paige February 3, 2011 at 10:53 am | | Reply

This desease is the most lucrative cash cow for big pharma to come along in the last 50 years.

Anyone who thinks big pharma wants a cure is fooling themselves. Indeed, I believe they will crush anything that endangers their cash flow.

Getting a sugar molecule into a cell – that is all we are talking about here.

It is time for PWD to become much more agressive and radical in fighting for a cure.

22. Jim Paige
    Jim Paige February 3, 2011 at 11:00 am | | Reply

Further, saying anything that starts with “absent a cure…” is EXACTLY what big pharma wants. Each PWD shelling out thousands of dollars for coping is OK?

Don’t be fooled by this nonsense. NOTHING IS ACCEPTABLE EXCEPT A CURE.

23. Jess
    Jess February 3, 2011 at 11:05 am | | Reply

Allison-

This is beautiful! Between your post and Sarah’s, I feel so much better about the whole thing. We all need eachother too much to fight about this stuff. The DOC is a community of support. Yay for positive energy!

24. Laurie
    Laurie February 3, 2011 at 11:13 am | | Reply

As a mom of a young adult, I believe we really are all on the same page here. This bantering back and forth is hurt feelings, and the frustration is probably so deep we’re probably not so sure who or what the anger is directed at. We ALL want prevention, better technology and management, and a cure (whether in our lifetimes or not). How can one argue that we parents don’t want better tools for better management? It’s simply not true! If anyone wants their fundraising dollars to go toward a focused cure and thinks that maybe it could be in our lifetime, that’s fair and driven from the heart. Let it be.
    JDRF changed their focus awhile ago, and we’re now hearing of the change. Kudos to the new CEO for being forthright in all sincerity. Now I honestly hope they change the Walk for a “Cure” slogan.

25. Jonathan
    Jonathan February 3, 2011 at 11:23 am | | Reply

Unfortunately, I’m pessimistic… to me “cure” is a 4 letter word, and it won’t come soon enough for the people i love… I’ll try not to get on a soapbox; but companies that could cure – are making a lot more money with expensive treatments, requred for the rest of life. If they find a “cure”, they’d essentially shut down their own profit machines…

Great topic for debate, well thought out blog post… this is one of those gold nuggets in the DMine

26. Renee
    Renee February 3, 2011 at 11:43 am | | Reply

Bravo – eloquent, compelling, balanced, empassioned – truly one of your best pieces. When I was dx’d with breast cancer in 1997, my husband asked why cancer hadn’t yet been cured, despute BILLIONS of research doctors. My oncologist’s reply mirrored what you wrote about the elusive diabetes cure: Some people might think that the cure is getting farther and farther out of grasp. The truth is that it has always been far from our reach. The problem was that we had no idea how far…….amen.

27. mcityrk
    mcityrk February 3, 2011 at 11:45 am | | Reply

Allison and Amy-

Exceedingly well written post, but suggest you find a way to get this in front of the main-stream media and not just the diabetes care blog space to educate the masses who know so little about what is going in in the field. Thanks-

28. Crystal
    Crystal February 3, 2011 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

Well written, Allison.

I live with Type 1 now, everyday. I want better Access to better management. After almost 26 years, a cure to me, I think of the kids. I think of prevention. For myself, I want Access!

I do believe that the Best thing my parents did for me growing up in the 80s/90s with Type 1 was Not hype up the hope of a cure. They just helped me Live.

29. Robin
    Robin February 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

Well Said.

30. Laura Billetdeaux
    Laura Billetdeaux February 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

Wow – really poignant and well-said, Allison. Thank you.

31. David Downs
    David Downs February 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm | | Reply

Stand and applaud!

As a PWD for 26 years, I’d be happy to see the cure appeals fade away. I want better tools, glucagon built in, integrated CGMs, etc. These things are POSSIBLE and WITHIN REACH. Persue, research, develop and yes, sell them to me. For all those people complaining about big pharma, welcome to capitalism. If you’d like to convince a bunch of scientists to do research for nothing but the idea of providing a cure, have a go at it. I’m not thrilled to spend big money on my supplies/insulin/test strips, but I’m soooooo happy they are available to me live the full life I deserve.

32. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill February 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm | | Reply

Great post, Allison! I am, as I have been for at least 15 years, resigned to the fact that whatcha see is whatcha get, and I see and have diabetes. I’m cool with it, and I’m excited that JDRF is going to be allocating more resources to T1 adults, and improving the lives of T1 diabetics as long as the cure isn’t here. Just because I’ve got broken beta cells doesn’t mean i can’t be damn good at having broken beta cells! Gotta be good at something, right ? ;)

On a related note, I also posted on this topic day, but more about the conflict that has ensued because of JDRF’s broadened vision, and how that conflict isn’t serving the DOC. Hopefully, no matter if you’re dedicated to the cure or dedicated to some other diabetes-related cause, we can all appreciate each other’s unique perspectives and priorities.

33. k2
    k2 February 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm | | Reply

Fantastic post -Thank you so much Alison!

34. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

Allison, excellent post.

I’ve said this in other places, but it’s worth saying again. If a cure were found tomorrow (whatever the cure may mean) it would be at least 8-10 years before it would be approved by the FDA and available in the US. And you can probably add several more years before your insurance would cover it, despite the savings. 10 years is a lot of living with diabetes at any age, let’s make living easier while progress is made towards a cure.

Which, by the way, I still think I may see in my lifetime.

35. Jimmy D
    Jimmy D February 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm | | Reply

Allison –

Thank you for writing the thoughts, feelings, and realities so well. I’ve followed JDRF’s research spending for over a decade now, and the news in the article was not new… they’ve been funding treatment AND cure based research avenues for a long time. It’s very easy for people to find 1 or 2 sentences that they “disagree” with, yet miss the entire story in the complete explanation.

WE want a cure… but to continue with many of your thoughts & those of others… What good will a cure be if a T1′s body is completely wrecked from poor control by the time it is found? Just looking at this past year of 2010, and the loss of life so many in the JDRF & CWD communities experienced… What good is a cure is the T1 dies of a hypo overnight?

The longterm goal will remain the same as long as T1 exists. But steps towards creating better “lifestyles” at the same time in the interim will not be a bad move for any of us…

Thanks again!

36. reyna
    reyna February 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm | | Reply

This parent of a 7 year old type 1 couldn’t agree more Allison. Thank you. I don’t hold my breath for a cure. I want Joe to grow up feeling happy, whole, and like he can do anything…diabetes OR not. I don’t want his hopes and dreams hinged on a CURE. I am ecstatic about the increased focus on adult type 1′s. Joe will be an adult with Type 1 someday. I hope for an easier care regime. I hope for availability of insulin to all, in all countries. I hope for decreased complications. And…I do dare hope for a CURE someday, but I doubt in my lifetime…and unfortunately I doubt it will occur in Joe’s life.

I agree we have had to study, to research just how little we do know about type 1. In learning what we don’t know, we learn what we need to know. It points us in other directions. Baby steps.

Thank you. Thank all of you in the DOC that are banding together. Without my pals in my computer I’d be lost. I hated viewing that thread on CWD. It was like watching my parents fight when I was a kid.

xoxo

37. Michelle Page Alswager
    Michelle Page Alswager February 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm | | Reply

I love Allison and her perspectives and mostly love that she has a strong voice. As someone who has worked at JDRF, I feel what you see is NOT what you get. Sorry if that is jaded, folks.

But…you are right. If people don’t want to give money to an org when it changes its direction, it is their opportunity to choose elsewhere.

I will always continue to fund the JDRF (or at least for now!) HOWEVER I am funding other organizations that are 100% cure focused (with a little bit of beautiful outreach). Because I believe technology – in the end – won’t save your life. And as I have said before, drug companies should not be funded by a charity, the drug companies should be funding the charity. Period.

With that said, love you Allison – you know that :) M

38. How can I not? » Strangely Diabetic Strangely Diabetic

[...] reading some really great posts today by Allison, Lee Ann, and especially by Kelly I decided that I wanted to post my takes on new directions for [...]

39. David Schlissel
    David Schlissel February 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm | | Reply

Allison:

You are a very gifted writer. Thank you for putting the time into such a well written piece.

40. gina Capone
    gina Capone February 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm | | Reply

Allison,

This is the best post I have read in a really longest time. I appreciate your honesty. You have written things that many of us think every single day and you are completely correct on so many levels.

Bravo

~gina

41. June S
    June S February 3, 2011 at 7:14 pm | | Reply

Brava, Allison! Excellent post! I am SO glad that, when I was diagnosed more than 38 years ago, I did not ever expect a cure. When I got my first glucose meter, 10 years after diagnosis, I thought I had already gone to heaven. When Lantus was invented, and my hypoglycemic episodes became fewer, I was a really happy camper. When I got my CGMS in 2008, I could hardly believe how far technology had come. Life is not perfect, but it is infinitely better than it was for me during the first few decades that I had Type I diabetes. I was diagnosed as a teenager, and my heart still goes out to all those young children, and parents of young children, with this disease. Let’s just hope for more sophisticated devices to keep them complication free!

42. Scott Strange
    Scott Strange February 4, 2011 at 12:18 am | | Reply

Allison, thank you for posting this. It played heavily in my post today and I hope that once the dust settles folks will just realize that we all just want to have a life that we can actually live

43. Andrew Phillips
    Andrew Phillips February 4, 2011 at 3:23 am | | Reply

Very nice article. Great perspective. Excellent writing. Thanks.

Keep fighting.

44. riva
    riva February 4, 2011 at 6:02 am | | Reply

As you can tell Allison you struck a chord in all of us. I’m with William – make life better now – and Barnard – even if we find a cure it will be years before we get to enjoy it.

As someone who heard 39 years ago, when I was diagnosed, there would be a cure in 10 years, if all we had done was focus on a cure, and not things that make life easier now, I’d still be living with: meters that take 2 minutes, and half your blood, to tell you your blood sugar, syringe needles four times thicker than they are today, insulins you had to time all day long and snack for all day long, the ignorance that you couldn’t eat candy but you could eat as many potatoes and slices of bread as you want and cause no spike, insulin pumps the size of a brick and nary a whisper of something as magnificent as a device that would tell you if your blood sugar was going up or down.

I have about 30 years left if diabetes doesn’t take any of those away, and I’m thrilled they’ll be easier and easier for me to live with and manage my diabetes since dedicated agencies like DRI are still a long way away from finding the cure.

45. John Crowley
    John Crowley February 4, 2011 at 8:06 am | | Reply

Allison,
    Thank you for your honest insights. It reminds me so much of what Jim Collins calls the Stockdale Paradox. After he interviewed Admiral Stockdale who spent 7 years in a Viet Nam POW camp and asking about how he never gave up hope of getting out alive, he summed up the paradox this way:

“You must never ever confuse the need on the one hand for absolute unwavering faith that you can prevail despite the constraints with the need on the other hand for the discipline to begin by confronting the brutal facts whatever they are.”

There will be a cure for this disease one day. We must hold out that hope no matter how bleak it appears at the moment. We must support those who are searching for a cure. We must continue to encourage the brightest minds to attack the questions that must be answered.

But we also must never let that hope distract us from addressing the facts that without diligent discipline and better and better tools, this disease is unforgiving.

46. Khürt L. Williams
    Khürt L. Williams February 4, 2011 at 8:30 am | | Reply

A very moving post. Thank your for sharing from the heart.

47. T3 Perspective « Randomly capitalizeD
    T3 Perspective « Randomly capitalizeD February 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm |

[...] with JDRF CEO on diaTribe then the resulting CWD thread, I posted my perspective via comments on various posts. Then I emailed my Dad and asked for his [...]

48. Celine
    Celine February 5, 2011 at 10:28 am | | Reply

I concur. Since the day of my diagnosis, I’ve focused on doing the best I can with the tools that are available. A cure would be fabulous but I’m not sitting around waiting for it.

49. Sharon Rowe
    Sharon Rowe February 6, 2011 at 5:42 am | | Reply

After 29 years of living with Type 1, my focus is no longer on a cure. I am concentrating on trying to live another 29 years so maybe I can actually enjoy my retirement. The financial impact diabetes has had on my life means early retirement is unlikely.

50. David J. Webb
    David J. Webb February 6, 2011 at 9:47 am | | Reply

There is a cure. Some of the things that have come to light: Alternate methods of getting sugar out of your system. Exercise helps. Cinnamon is an alternate to insulin that will help lower sugar(It is not a cure).
    Where are the Islet cells reproduced? I was always told they don’t. You are stuck for life with what you have. Now, it has come out they are not reproduced in the pancreas at all. They come from the spleen. Anyone that has had his spleen removed will be type one within five years. So why don’t we activate the reproduction of these cells in the spleen? I don’t know . . .
    Yes, Big Pharma is both a curse and a blessing. They support our staying alive. In return they leach huge sums of money out of us. Big Pharma and gang does not want a cure. It would be suicidal for them to find a cure.
    Type II is really a wonderful mechanism. It keeps you from dying from your sugar condition! The immune response that keeps sugar out of your cells is there because you have an overwhelming amount of loose sugar in your blood. Why? I don’t know. I know the only way to get rid of it safely is with moderate daily exercise and pills. Most type II people exhaust their pancreas in their efforts within 10 years. That means supplements of insulin. Within 20 years you probably will have to watch out for gangrene and premature aging. It is not a nice condition. Big Pharma is trying its best to maintain you as a cash cow for as long as they can. It is in their best interest to prevent the above conditions.
    Testing is another big industry. We are stuck mostly with a 19th century testing mechanism called test strips. No one in the industry wants to advance to the point that we can test 24/7 with a technology we have had since the late 80s. I refer to portable computers and telephones. I am no engineer or scientist, but even I can see how to put together a device that would test without pricking the skin. Why haven’t they? Well try about a dollar profit per test strip for the industry.
    The only way we are going to get a cure for this terrible disease is to change the game. Right now the game is profit. Anything that gets in the way of these huge profits has to go away legally or not.
    These people are so arrogant that they even admit it publicly. What are you going to do about it? We are nothing to them but cows.
    One researcher 3 years ago found a way to reverse the type II mechanism in animals with the main ingredient in hot pepper. Haven’t heard a thing about it since. It was through a university in Toronto. They actually injected mice pancreas with this ingredient and reversed the type II diabetes.
    I would love to know the statistics on Type II in Japan and Korea. The main ingredient in the Korean diet is Kimche. It is a highly peppered plant related to cabbage. It is also fermented in peppers. I wonder if that would act as a preventive in type II?
    I think the only hope we have for a cure shamefully is for one to come out of China or Russia. Both of which are supposedly communist countries not burdened by profit motives. (That is a laugh in itself)
    India has access to 20,000 years of ancient medical documents. (At least that is the claim) Has anyone in India found or know of a cure found by the ancients of their country. Some of that technology described some very modern jet planes running on a mercury formula. This is fringe science and not recognized by the main stream. But some of the formulas have made their way into modern aircraft.
    I think we should not be so quick to discount things discovered in the ancient past.
    What I have suggested here in conclusion is that the cat is indeed out of the bag. There are a good number of possible answers to the problem of curing diabetes. I think we have to change the rules to make it a greed motivation to find a cure. Right now the greed motivation is not to find a cure. If we as a group do not change those rules, you are right. We will not find a cure in our lifetimes.