1. Andy
    Andy February 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm | | Reply

Being a type 1 diabetic for 37 years, I appreciate this post and share many of the same feelings. It really hit home with me.

I live every day fighting this disease, and I will not give up. I do everything under my control so I can live a “normal” life with or without the cure.

I am positive that there will be a cure to this disease. It will just take some amount of time and money to find the cure. It will happen. I only hope I will be around for that day. At least I know I contributed to finding the cure.

Diabetes may eventually beat me, but until that day comes, I will continue my fight. I dream of that Diabetes is cured party. I want to enjoy that party. With or without the cure, I want to make sure that I contributed positively to the world we live in. That’s what really drives me.

1. Greg
      Greg February 21, 2013 at 6:52 am | | Reply

The Med world don’t want a cure because all that money stop comming in. DHP Fighters Dietary supplements has the remedy that is safe, quick and when problem is gone stop using it. Check out website and having questions call Greg at 404-732-3768. Thanks

2. Melitta
    Melitta February 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm | | Reply

Thank you for your eloquent post, Allison. I was diagnosed with Type 1 autoimmune diabetes in 1995, at the age of 35. I signed up for the lifetime MedicAlert coverage (no longer available) because a quick calculation by this scientist (me) knew that I would need the lifetime option. I say that I am just hangin’ out, keeping good control as best I can with the current technology, while waiting for better technology (not a cure, which I don’t think will happen in my lifetime). So I very much appreciate Jeffrey Brewer’s pragmatic and visionary approach. Oh, and the vast majority of people with Type 1 diabetes are adults, and the majority of new-onset Type 1 is seen in adults (according to the CDC), so of course some emphasis should be put on adults.

3. Rob
    Rob February 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm | | Reply

I’m not a diabetic – my little boy is (Type 1, diagnosed 18 months ago at age 5). I want a cure for my child.
    Of course I want to use the best possible management technology, techniques and medication, but each and every time I give him a finger prick or change an infusion set or download info from the pump I hear the pharmaceutical industry going cha-ching. They have a vested interest in improving diabetes management, but a powerful disincentive to a cure.

While it is obvious that the pharmaceutical industry must remain a research partner for short term benefits, the partnership with Big Pharma will always have a Mephistophelean dimension.

JDRF shoudl seek to build partnerships and alliances with the Healthcare Insurance industry as well – Big Insurance has HUGE incentives to want to back a cure.

The drug and biomedical engineering companies have plenty of funds and plenty of competition to give them reasons to woo diabetics to them. But Insurers have a great deal of unexplored potential as allies in seeking a cure, because a cure will have a direct positive effect on their bottom line.

4. Julia
    Julia February 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Even the AP will probably not be on the market in five years, so how could a cure be ready in ten or even fifteen years. Very disheartened to read that Smart Insulin is so far off from coming to market. Any new therapy is years away from release and many therapies I held great hope for (LCT) are not proving to be as successful as previously anticipated. As simple as “getting sugar into a cell”? …. unfortunately, not simple at all but the immune system is incredibly complex. We are all working toward the same long term goal….. a cure. But we must add new short term goals so our kids and all adults with Type 1, will be alive and in good health when the cure is found, as well as make life manageable on a day-to-day basis while waiting. I do not consider diabetes management as it exists today, acceptable. People with diabetes, parents with children with diabetes can raise money and contribute that money toward the organization who shares their goals. JDRF, DRI, Faustman all come to mind. I would like to see more options than the above three on some sort of website so you could contribute towards the research that excites you personally.

5. Rickst29
    Rickst29 February 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm | | Reply

David J Webb is an idiot, claiming (like so many others) that T1 can be cured by magical foods. David, please explain: How, exactly, does cinnamon work as “an alternate to insulin” at the cellular level?

He goes on to say, “I am no engineer or scientist, but even I can see how to put together a device that would test without pricking the skin.”

OH, REALLY?
    - – - – -
    Whether he intends to sell “natural cures” at high prices, or invite us all to become “venture capitalists” in his bG monitor device company, I don’t know. But the post smells like a set up for some kind of money grab.

6. How Can I Not? » Strangely Diabetic Strangely Diabetic

[...] reading some really great posts today by Allison, Lee Ann, and especially by Kelly (among others), I decided that I wanted to post my takes on new [...]

7. How can I not? - Strangely Diabetic - Juvenation

8. Lobbying Congress – JDRF Government Day | Luke's D Day

[...] CEO Jeffrey Brewer spoke about the need be realistic about when we’ll find a cure (it’s likely not just around the corner) but also how focusing on improving daily management along with detection and prevention will all [...]

9. Kevin Rothman
    Kevin Rothman April 26, 2011 at 11:22 am | | Reply

I am doing a research project on diabetes for my Rhetoric class at the University of Illinois. I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 16 years. I don’t have much to say other than I too welled up when reading this blog post. This paragraph, however:

What I do know is that I want to play with my children someday without having to be the one to stop and get a juice box. What I want is for my fiancé to not worry about whether or not I will wake up in the morning. What I want is for my eyes to stay clear and my heart to beat strong and my legs to carry me to the far reaches of the world. Some may say that technology is “good enough” now, but do you really want to stay exactly as we are today? Are you really satisfied with the accuracy of your glucose meter, of your continuous glucose monitor? Are you really satisfied with the functionality of your insulin pump? Are you really OK with spiking after breakfast? Are you really fine with wondering if your body will wake you up when your BG is too low or if you will sleep through your CGM alarm? Wouldn’t it be nice if there were just a few more improvements to our lives?

Nearly did it in for me. Stay strong and do not give up hope.

10. Kevin Rothman
    Kevin Rothman April 26, 2011 at 11:22 am | | Reply

Nearly made me cry

11. Dennis
    Dennis April 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm | | Reply

You make alot of sense Kevin.
    and I agree with you .Ditto Buddy..

Such as our so called Fast Acting Insulins? They take 2-3 hrs to take full effect.. That’s real fast isn;t it? Yeah , right..

And if PUmps are better than these So called “Long Lasting Insulins”? Then how come ALL T1′s can’t get them ? Or how come They haven’t made a Transdemral Insulin Patch to deliver Novalog over a 24 hr Period, like they have other Medications?

Or These Test Meters.. They can be at least 10% different than Plasma or the Real Reading of our BG’s NO big deal right.. but add another 10-20% they are allowed to be off by the FDA? Now your 20-30% off.. right?

and they now have a Non Invesive Unit that test for one’s A1c’s , so why not a BG test meter? Ans? Money.. Profits..and it’s not using just the Few ( 2 million) T1′s , it’s the 20 Million T2′s they’re after.. get them 3x day and they make Billions!

And It’s the Old Prevention or Treat the Problem.. which creates The Most $..
    We are in a $ driven Society and Only Capitalisum prevails..
    But If and when we have a National Health Care Plan for the Masses?
    We will have to find Cures and better solutions, or become like other countries and Limit Care.. dramatically..

On one hand? I’m blessed I had 45 yrs before I got My T1, but On the Other hand? I know what I’m Missing!

12. Patriot
    Patriot June 8, 2011 at 3:58 am | | Reply

Do not be fooled. It is in no one’s interest but your own and your family’s for you to be cured.
    Way back in the 90s there were beta cell transplants, there were clear signs that is the way to go and cure was at an arm’s length. Yet all of the companies that conducted those experiments have long disappeared or changed their orientation. We have literally seen NO advancements made in the last few decades, we have only became more hooked on technology and disposable products. Strips, needles, disposable pods, tubes, every product today is designed to increase your lifetime expectancy so you will pay for that stuff longer! Now some of you may say. “Ok, but we have a higher level of control now, it is easier and more manageable, we need that!” Do we really? Then how are people that got diabetes in 40s, 50s still alive? They used to squeeze insulin out from pigs, they had to dose it by feel, they couldn’t check their levels every few hours like today. And they are still alive. The human body is designed to stay healthy, even in the worst conditions possible.
    Use your head. Look at the world we live in today, look at how far the technology has gotten us. Do you really think it is that hard to plant a few cells on a perfectly healthy organ? Harder than gene manipulation? DNA recombining? The stuff that goes happening about every single day?
    You are a lifetime costumer, and they are not going to let you get away just like that. The cure has been found a long time ago, it just wasn’t commercial enough. A former addict is of no use to a dealer. Never was. Never will be.

13. John
    John March 19, 2012 at 8:16 am | | Reply

It would be nice if we could just get the truth as to where the research really stands? Is islet supply the only issue to moving islet tranplantation into a new treatment status? I refrain from saying a cure knowing that we may need to receive a fill-up of cells every 1 or X # of years. To me, that is a pseudo cure worth taking. But, the JDRF, DRI and others keep saying supply, supply, supply is the issue and we are years away from solving this issue. Why? Why so long? Yet, we keep reading report after report about “Breakthroughs” in turning stem cells, gut cells, and etc., into insulin producing cells.. So, which is it? If we could start using pig insulin 80 years ago, and pig valves in heart valve transplants today then why not use pig islet cells in islet transplants today? Right now? Supply problem solved!

I won’t even go into what I think about the JDRF and specifically Brewer! Other than to say, if you check the JDRF website, MEDTRONIC donates $250,000.00 per year to the JDRF so no wonder why they are pimping ‘technology’ versus a cure! Not to mention, when the JDRF was founded it was founded and run by parents of T1 and now its run by scientists protecting their industry. BTW – MEDTRONIC also bailed on the implantable pump which delivered insulin CORRECTLY in favor of much bigger profits in the external pump with proprietary accessories..

We are being lied to year after year and its amazing how MERCK can buy the rights to SmartInsulin and yet they seem to be siting on it.

The person that posted that we hear about breakthroughs and then the companies disappear or focus their efforts someplace else, I totally agree! Geron Corp., to name just one….

We are forced addicts, additicted to a legalized $ billion dollar industry. This is no different then the recent media pop regarding antibiotics and the lack of interest in new ones by big pharma… Why create one off drugs when you can create a lifelong pipeline of consistent and ever increasing cash flow.

Everyday I recevie anywhere from 10 – 20 google alerts regarding type 1 diabetes research “breakthroughs” and while some are duplicates, most aren’t and all of them end with the same tag line…. “This may ONE day be used to change the way Type 1 is treated”. So, what this really means is that those same researchers are letting us know they are playing with mice and in order to keep playing with their mice they need additional funding. How about you move on to peolple and put your “Breakthrough” to the final test. If it works you are a hero, if not you can take your bat and ball and go home. To me, that is the crux of this entire cure issue. No one is willing to put their treatments to the ultimate test and risk failing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!