1. Jasmine
    Jasmine February 22, 2011 at 8:23 am | | Reply

I love the idea behind this series! Although I live in the US, I have had lengthy stays in Italy (pre-diabetes) and will have more in the future. I’m eager to learn as much as I can in the meantime. Thanks for the post, Mike!

2. RA
    RA February 22, 2011 at 8:59 am | | Reply

Nice article, thanks for the information.

3. Tweets that mention » Life with Diabetes in Spain - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine and Mike Young, Kim. Kim said: RT @elgringoinspain: Guest Posting over @DiabetesMine about "Life with Diabetes in Spain" http://t.co/3F8zh6B #diabetes #dblog #spain Th … [...]

4. Jamie Na
    Jamie Na February 22, 2011 at 10:00 am | | Reply

Very interesting! I live in Canada and see a lot of similarities to Spain here. Technology is slow to arrive and/or be accepted, and often we wait for years before it gets approved for use here. Also, attitudes are very similar. I’d be interested in knowing the per capita spending for diabetes in Canada (I wasn’t able to find it before I posted this).

5. Bec
    Bec February 23, 2011 at 3:48 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for the post Mike! Its fantastic to get a different perspective from around the world…Ditto for Australia in terms of technology slow to arrive or get approval for subsidy.

6. Stead
    Stead February 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm | | Reply

Great post, Allison. Love getting some international flavor.

7. Ann B
    Ann B February 25, 2011 at 6:12 am | | Reply

Mike (and Allison) Love this post!! I have many friends who live in the EU and I’m always amazed by their healthcare system, when it is often portrayed differently here. No system is perfect.

As for technology being slow to arrive, I think it is so interesting that access to the product is much faster than here in the US! We haven’t gotten the VEO thru FDA yet, but ironically it appears the hold up in EU is doctor approval!

I stayed in Barcelona for 3.5 weeks for the Olympics in 1992. The food was incredible! But at that time Pizza Hut had moved into town, and for the games McD’s had focused on a huge increase in store fronts.

Great post thanks for sharing!

8. Monique Tijmes
    Monique Tijmes March 3, 2011 at 8:38 am | | Reply

How wonderful to read this post! I have been trying to find information about insulin pumps in Spain all over the Internet. Even people who live here, can’t help me.

We are moving to Spain from the Netherlands. We will become residents in July (2011). I have type 2 diabetes and I have been using an insulin pump since 2003. I got my new VEO in March 2010. I am still not sure if Medtronic will continue service for my Dutch pump in Spain.

More important: I need to find myself a good doctor, preferably a doctor who speaks English. I guess Mikes doctor is in Torrevieja? That would be OK for me, we will be living in Macisvenda, Murcia. I am not sure if I can go to a hospital in the Comunidad of Valencia.

I would like to get in touch with Mike or someone else who can recommend me a good doctor at the Costa Blanca. My diabetes is not a problem, I have been doing very well with that. But what about getting infusionsets, reservoirs, test strips and everything? I really don’t know how this al works in Spain.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

9. Mike
    Mike March 7, 2011 at 1:34 am | | Reply

Hi everyone

Mike from http://www.diabetesinspain.com here. Thank you for your great feedback, really do appreciate it and glad that it has been informative.

Monique, please feel free to get in touch directly.. More contact details are on my site or get in touch via twitter @elgringoinspain

Thanks again for the kind words and support.. 【ツ】

10. Bob Lloyd
    Bob Lloyd April 27, 2011 at 9:29 am | | Reply

Hi Mike,
    I’m T2 and I’ve just been told by my GP in Andalucia that test strips are now only to be available to those on insulin. Apparently the rules have just changed but it’s the first I’ve heard of it. Do you happen to know if this is a regional thing or national, and if there’s anyone challenging this, even on cost-benefit grounds?

It’ll make a big difference to me as, following a low-carb diet, I need to check my levels regularly and the strips are very expensive. Anyone else come across this sudden change of policy in Spain?

11. Mike
    Mike April 27, 2011 at 9:49 am | | Reply

Hi Bob

Yes I’m aware that some people with Type 2 Diabetes having experienced a sudden stoppage regarding test strips.

After speaking with both my Endocrinologist and GP, protocols have been updated to focus more on the hbA1c test to show control over a 3 month period.

This was after a major trial originating from the UK and Australia. Those who are Type 2 and at *real* risk of hypoglycemia will still be given test strips on a regular basis and certainly when for example traveling, ill etc..

If you feel that you need more strips then talk with you Family Doctor. If you need strips it may be wise to seek external sites to purchase them. Feel free to get in touch directly via my site.

12. DAVID (deaf)
    DAVID (deaf) May 16, 2011 at 5:28 am | | Reply

I’m diabetic ty2 for bit over 5 year so look fit really but I’ve good food
    and look after myself and more responsibility really and pacemaker well,
    but some little more tablets for high pressure,choleserol,problem with bone,sleep tablets,alendronic acid,also eye drop for night each eye everydays night only,so I would like relocate to costa blanca but nobody help me once again so I love living there very much but I’m profoundly deaf bit over 70y/o and keep warm ther better than england so where I lived at poole area so I’m gay but very clean person and home same too I always think health come first really they is more responsibility is very important so I think look after myself so hope one day I’ll have relocate to there very soon if possible hope god will help me save my warm again

13. Shelley
    Shelley June 7, 2011 at 5:53 am | | Reply

Hi Mike,
    I really appreciate all the information you have posted here.
    We will be staying in the Basque Country for a month this summer with our daughter, she’s 12, and was diagnosed with type 1 just a year ago. I am concerned that it will be really difficult to count carbs there, especially with restaurant meals. Do you know of an app or website, or a book that provides nutritional information for common Spanish dishes?

14. Mike
    Mike June 11, 2011 at 10:05 am | | Reply

Hi Shelly

I’m afraid that as carb counting resources go here in Spain are scarce to say the least.

My suggestion would be to perhaps lookup some traditional Basque Country recipes to give you an idea of some the ingredients used.

One would imagine that the recipes will be quite rich, some almost broth like. Feel free to get in touch via my site directly and I may be able to find some further resources for you and forward on to you.

Regards
    Mike

15. Shelley
    Shelley June 17, 2011 at 11:57 pm | | Reply

Hi again Mike,
    We are here, in San Sebastian now, and I am trying to figure out the nutritional information on packaged foods. Would “hidratos de carbono” be the carbohydrate count, and then, usually that is given per 100g of product and sometimes also “por vaso” per serving? Is there another number on the label that I need to take into consideration for counting?

We are excited as we begin our adventure here, and so happy to have found you!
    Thanks,
    Shelley

16. John
    John July 22, 2011 at 11:25 am | | Reply

Great post Mike
    Very clear and packed with useful information. Ive been a type 1 diabetic for 30 years, now living in a white village in Andalucia. The incidence of type 2 diabetes here is staggering. The village shop is stuffed with “diabetic” (sugar free) sweets cakes and biscuits. Though my care is in the UK, because I went to the village doctor just to let him know my medication in case of emergency, he sent me to a specialist who sees me every couple of years in Malaga. I have a feeling with the crisis that this is about to stop!
    All the best
    John

17. Sheila
    Sheila July 18, 2012 at 10:09 am | | Reply

Great post Mike!
    We are in Peniscola visiting Family & my son is on the Medtronics Mini Med Paradime Insulin Pump. I was very nervous about leaving the US, but everything has been working out just fine. My son is also wearing a Contious Glucose Monitor (CGM) & that has helped us tremendously. Medtronics is in España so we have 24hr. support.

18. Insulin spanish | Premierpb
    Insulin spanish | Premierpb September 25, 2012 at 6:21 am |

[...] Life with Diabetes in Spain : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blogFeb 22, 2011 … How wonderful to read this post! I have been trying to find information about insulin pumps in Spain all over the Internet. Even people who live … [...]